Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone So this is really a question for people at Sheffield Hallam, I've been made an offer and was just checking out the accommodation before I firm/insurance it!

What would everyone say is the best halls for meeting people, making mates and just having a laugh? Which are the biggest halls? My course in City Campus so am looking for one close by
    And which are nearest shops/nightlife?
    Sorry for all the questions but ANY advice or tips you have on halls would be great as I'm totally lost here! :L Thanks!

PS If anyones doing PR & Media let me know what you thought of the course

ReputationRep:
    Well at SHU there are loads of different types of halls. You have to consider your budget, how much loan you will get will determine how much you are willing to pay for accomodation.

You need to ask yourself the following questions when thinking about the halls:
    Is ensuite important to you?
    How many people would you feel comfortable sharing a kitchen with?
    Do you need parking? a studio flat?
    etc.

All halls are very sociable, it's what you make of them. I know my friend lived in charlotte court in her first year and loved it. Trigon is aparently very nice but hard to get into, the forge is a ten min walk to the city campus and right next to a sainsburys, aldi, etc. Central quay is quite out of the way, exchange works is right next to the furnival building and the union but is very noisy.

Victoria halls are quite nice too. Also, bear in mind with some accomodation there are added costs, i.e parking, internet, sometimes bills etc. so it's key to do your research there too.

ReputationRep:
    why on earth is this in the Current Affairs section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snufkin_)
    Well at SHU there are loads of different types of halls. You have to consider your budget, how much loan you will get will determine how much you are willing to pay for accomodation.

You need to ask yourself the following questions when thinking about the halls:
    Is ensuite important to you?
    How many people would you feel comfortable sharing a kitchen with?
    Do you need parking? a studio flat?
    etc.

All halls are very sociable, it's what you make of them. I know my friend lived in charlotte court in her first year and loved it. Trigon is aparently very nice but hard to get into, the forge is a ten min walk to the city campus and right next to a sainsburys, aldi, etc. Central quay is quite out of the way, exchange works is right next to the furnival building and the union but is very noisy.

Victoria halls are quite nice too. Also, bear in mind with some accomodation there are added costs, i.e parking, internet, sometimes bills etc. so it's key to do your research there too.
    Heya thanks for the tips. Would deffs want ensuite but don't need parking. Was considering Trigon, do you know which are the biggest halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachtree92)
    Heya thanks for the tips. Would deffs want ensuite but don't need parking. Was considering Trigon, do you know which are the biggest halls?
    Not sure sorry, I know the forge (where I lived) had around 1800 study bedrooms, between 5 and 7 to a flat, really worth looking at. If your going to go with UNITE though I would go direct through them rather then with the uni, cos then you can choose your room exactly.

Just a tip too, unless you get the full grant/bursary and loan you will struggle with an ensuite, unless your parents will be helping you out/you have a job. As I know standard ensuites can range from £90+ and it pretty much eats your whole loan.

Some non ensuites aren't really that bad, you can sometimes only end up sharing a bathroom with 3 people.

Oh I'd stay away from leadmill point I think its called.. my friends currently live there. It took 8 months to get their oven fixed and the halls are so damp they have silverfish...

The good thing with going with a company instead of directly through SHU is you get to mix with people from the uni of too.

When you are filling in your SHU accomodation form you have to pick 2 choices. Bear in mind you probably won't even get the 2 choices you pick if you chose very competitive ones like trigon but you never know.

You will deffo be guaranteed ensuite if you go directly through a company too, and if you have any friends going to hallam too you can arrange to be in a flat together.

ReputationRep:
    ohh and the forge and the forge 2 are in exactly the same place, and right next to where most 2nd years live in 2nd year. Very close to charlotte court and other halls too.

The other ones I'd say to stay away from are central quay as they are really quite out of the way of other halls.

If you want to meet as many people as you can, when you go I would get a job at HUBS (sheffield hallam union). a lot of my friends worked there this year and met soooo many people through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snufkin_)
    ohh and the forge and the forge 2 are in exactly the same place, and right next to where most 2nd years live in 2nd year. Very close to charlotte court and other halls too.

The other ones I'd say to stay away from are central quay as they are really quite out of the way of other halls.

If you want to meet as many people as you can, when you go I would get a job at HUBS (sheffield hallam union). a lot of my friends worked there this year and met soooo many people through it.
    what kind of jobs can you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    what kind of jobs can you get?
    Well if you work in the union it will primarily be bar work.

But being in a city center, there is no shortage of part time jobs.

ReputationRep:
    have you applied for your accommodation yet? I applied for Victoria Halls and Trigon I don't think I'll get either now argghhh!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone So this is really a question for people at Sheffield Hallam, I've been made an offer and was just checking out the accommodation before I firm/insurance it!

What would everyone say is the best halls for meeting people, making mates and just having a laugh? Which are the biggest halls? My course in City Campus so am looking for one close by
    And which are nearest shops/nightlife?
    Sorry for all the questions but ANY advice or tips you have on halls would be great as I'm totally lost here! :L Thanks!

PS If anyones doing PR & Media let me know what you thought of the course
    Hey!

I would say the best halls for meeting people and making friends is leadmill or exchange works.. these two are near to the city campus aswell as the trigon and vic. halls but i seem to find that exchange works and leadmill are more sociable - because most people i know have made great friends at these accommodations with their flatmates who they never knew before they came to uni.
    vic halls, and opal 1 are nearest to shops/nightlife - these two are better for these.
    It depends on what you want are u more of a sociable bunny? or would you like somewhere cheap to live? or somewhere thats really nice inside? and how much is your budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfridayy)
    have you applied for your accommodation yet? I applied for Victoria Halls and Trigon I don't think I'll get either now argghhh!
    No I havent, was going to do it this week! So confusing don't worry i'm sure you'll get somewhere nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tish64)
    Hey!

I would say the best halls for meeting people and making friends is leadmill or exchange works.. these two are near to the city campus aswell as the trigon and vic. halls but i seem to find that exchange works and leadmill are more sociable - because most people i know have made great friends at these accommodations with their flatmates who they never knew before they came to uni.
    vic halls, and opal 1 are nearest to shops/nightlife - these two are better for these.
    It depends on what you want are u more of a sociable bunny? or would you like somewhere cheap to live? or somewhere thats really nice inside? and how much is your budget?
    Very much a social bunny! Budget is decent as I've saved quite a bit from work to go towards it. My main concern is deffs the social aspect lol.

ReputationRep:
    inbox me your fb!

ReputationRep:
    inbox me your fb!
    Added you I'm Lucy

ReputationRep:
    Very much a social bunny! Budget is decent as I've saved quite a bit from work to go towards it. My main concern is deffs the social aspect lol.
    If its solely for the social side i would say archways.. i've got a friend who loved the people she lived with there so much, she's getting a house with them next year!

ReputationRep:
    yaay i think you should pick shu lucy! did you go on an open day? x

ReputationRep:
    you cant really judge where is going to be most social tbh though. some people get lucky and get social people and some others well dont get too lucky!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm going to Sheffield Hallam next year to study Journalism. I looked at some of the accom at an open day and I have decided to go for Exchange Works. It seemed a pretty comfy place to live, central and the students there said its the best for soical life! Looking at some of the forums on here people have said Victoria Halls and Opal 1 are popular but I'm keen Exchange will be good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack93)
    Hey I'm going to Sheffield Hallam next year to study Journalism. I looked at some of the accom at an open day and I have decided to go for Exchange Works. It seemed a pretty comfy place to live, central and the students there said its the best for soical life! Looking at some of the forums on here people have said Victoria Halls and Opal 1 are popular but I'm keen Exchange will be good
    hey i put exchange works as my second choice

ReputationRep:
    yaay i think you should pick shu lucy! did you go on an open day? x
    yeah think i willl nope i wasn't able to but from the website etc it seems really nice! x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.