Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenubreed)
    how is this posible? i have an unconditional, firmed it straight away and applied for accommodation as soon as it was online plus ive already emailed my results cos i had them beforehand.

still not heard anything and im pissed with hallam

Well said sir!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenubreed)
    how is this posible? i have an unconditional, firmed it straight away and applied for accommodation as soon as it was online plus ive already emailed my results cos i had them beforehand.

still not heard anything and im pissed with hallam
    everyone is pissed with hallam! i say we go up there in a group....and show them what we are made of lol

ReputationRep:
    mine has finally changed to processing! applied on 17/2/2011 and im returning student so they knew I would definatly be going to hallam.

hopefully ill get my letters in a few days ill let you all know how long it's taken from processing to letters in my hand.

good luck to everyone else still waiting, really they can't leave it later than next week because people need to make arrangements, e.g who can drive them there on what day, if they are coming back off holidays in time to move in, and for peace of mind of actually knowing where your going.

ReputationRep:
    I applied as soon as it opened and got my accomodation offer through today. I accidentally put exchange works as my first choice, so in a good way I've been offered my first choice, in a bad way I was really hoping I'd be offered something else =/

Think i'm going to have a look at private accomodation halls now... dumm dee dummm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snufkin_)
    I applied as soon as it opened and got my accomodation offer through today. I accidentally put exchange works as my first choice, so in a good way I've been offered my first choice, in a bad way I was really hoping I'd be offered something else =/

Think i'm going to have a look at private accomodation halls now... dumm dee dummm...
    thats my second choice:/ also regret it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    I know! at the time I just thought ooo it's right next to the main buildings, but I've had friends stay there this year who have told me to steer well clear.

My options now are to go privately through UNITE or not go into halls. I've had mxed reviews on the forge, some of my friends have said they've loved it there but I keep reading bad reviews. Not sure what to do!

ReputationRep:
    I know! at the time I just thought ooo it's right next to the main buildings, but I've had friends stay there this year who have told me to steer well clear.

My options now are to go privately through UNITE or not go into halls. I've had mxed reviews on the forge, some of my friends have said they've loved it there but I keep reading bad reviews. Not sure what to do!
    Everyone who I've spoke to personally from Hallam thinks the Forge is decent. Think of it this way, you're more likely to post an online review of a bad experience, than if everything just goes smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't knock it. I lived there last year. Didn't pick it and don't think I met anyone living there who had either. It was kinda like here's your room get on with it, turn it down and we probably won't offer you another one. But it turned out to be great and we had a blast.

Downside was the cost but my dad helped me out. It was annoying have to pay for it for weeks and weeks after I'd finished for the year.

On the plus side my room was HUUUUUGE! A pain having to pay more than my flatmates in smaller rooms but great for parties. It was great being so close to uni for early lectures and stuff. Didn't get on a bus once (going to miss that this year). Had a great time there. Made loads of friends. Had no probs with UNITE and even got my full deposit back with no arguing.

ReputationRep:

i put it down because of the amount of people you live with :/ but i really don't wnat to live there!

(Original post by Silent Boy)
    Hey don't knock it. I lived there last year. Didn't pick it and don't think I met anyone living there who had either. It was kinda like here's your room get on with it, turn it down and we probably won't offer you another one. But it turned out to be great and we had a blast.

Downside was the cost but my dad helped me out. It was annoying have to pay for it for weeks and weeks after I'd finished for the year.

On the plus side my room was HUUUUUGE! A pain having to pay more than my flatmates in smaller rooms but great for parties. It was great being so close to uni for early lectures and stuff. Didn't get on a bus once (going to miss that this year). Had a great time there. Made loads of friends. Had no probs with UNITE and even got my full deposit back with no arguing.
    thanks for the heads up! but still dont wan't to live there :rolleyes:lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Mazza_)
    Everyone who I've spoke to personally from Hallam thinks the Forge is decent. Think of it this way, you're more likely to post an online review of a bad experience, than if everything just goes smoothly.
    Yeah that's the way I'm trying to see it. Remaining positive and all. I figure if there's 1500+ bedrooms, and only 20 odd bad views online, and they've been open since 05 they must be pretty decent or else they'd be a lot more bad reviews. If that makes sense..

My main problem is I need my car though, and it's 17.50 a week to park there! And I rang up to be told theres a massive waiting list for parking spaces. So not too sure what to dooo.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's the way I'm trying to see it. Remaining positive and all. I figure if there's 1500+ bedrooms, and only 20 odd bad views online, and they've been open since 05 they must be pretty decent or else they'd be a lot more bad reviews. If that makes sense..

My main problem is I need my car though, and it's 17.50 a week to park there! And I rang up to be told theres a massive waiting list for parking spaces. So not too sure what to dooo.
    plus if you book privert for the forge, u have to pay extra charges such as admin fee :/

ReputationRep:

Is there any specific reason you need your car? I only ask because it's a nightmare driving round Sheffield, much easier to get buses or cycle, especially with the price of parking in the city centre too.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the heads up! but still dont wan't to live there :rolleyes:lol
    Fair enough. Hope you get where you want.

Been intouch with a few mates today. It looks like they're sorting out returners before unconditionals. Think that's what they did last year too, just a bit quicker than this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent Boy)
    Fair enough. Hope you get where you want.

Been intouch with a few mates today. It looks like they're sorting out returners before unconditionals. Think that's what they did last year too, just a bit quicker than this year.
    omg if that is the case...i am going to be waiting for like...ever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Mazza_)
    Is there any specific reason you need your car? I only ask because it's a nightmare driving round Sheffield, much easier to get buses or cycle, especially with the price of parking in the city centre too.
    I know =/ but yeah I need my car. I need to be back 3 days a week to work and be a carer. Without going into specifics, if I get a phone call saying I'm needed I need to be able to get back asap (it almost triples my travel time using public transport), and drive around sorting things out at the weekends.

ReputationRep:
    plus if you book privert for the forge, u have to pay extra charges such as admin fee :/
    Oh, when I spoke to them a while back when I was thinking of privately booking there was no mention of any admin fee's and I rang to speak today and got told the only fee's I would have to pay would be the rent and deposit?

As far as I'm aware admin fee's only occur when you are moving flats within a UNITE building or getting someone to take over your contract then there is a £50 fee.

ReputationRep:
    I know =/ but yeah I need my car. I need to be back 3 days a week to work and be a carer. Without going into specifics, if I get a phone call saying I'm needed I need to be able to get back asap (it almost triples my travel time using public transport), and drive around sorting things out at the weekends.
    can you not like leave your car in a street near by?

ReputationRep:
    can you not like leave your car in a street near by?
    I'm not sure, my friends that live on london road have said there are fee's payable to park anywhere on the street around there and you have to prove you live in a house to get the permit or something?

eesh.

My insurance is actually cheaper if I say it's parked on the road rather than in secure parking so hopefully there will be somewhere I can park! xD

ReputationRep:
    Oh, when I spoke to them a while back when I was thinking of privately booking there was no mention of any admin fee's and I rang to speak today and got told the only fee's I would have to pay would be the rent and deposit?

As far as I'm aware admin fee's only occur when you are moving flats within a UNITE building or getting someone to take over your contract then there is a £50 fee.
    it is on the unite website

http://www.unite-students.com/studen...ld/the-forge?#

click cost calculator, then under where it says Our fees explained, click on about our fees, if you pay your rent in installations you get a admin fee..

ReputationRep:
    it is on the unite website

http://www.unite-students.com/studen...ld/the-forge?#

click cost calculator, then under where it says Our fees explained, click on about our fees, if you pay your rent in installations you get a admin fee..
    Ohhhhh yeah sorry I got confused they explained that to me. They said if you pay it in 3 lots, so when your loan goes out, you don't have to pay any admin fee's, but if you pay it every month you do have to pay an admin fee.

So I thought that was okay cos I plan on just paying it when my loan comes in anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.