Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wanna move to England. Why? I speak the language, the people seem more open, loads to do, alot more black people and its in Europe. Therefor i dont need a visa and can go and come back when i want.

Next week im turning 21 so i do realize im young and do have "time" enough to explore a little, but i do want to return to university at some point and not feel too old to do so.

My heart wants to leave as im not happy here

But there are some amazing perks about being from Denmark:

1: All education is free
    2: They pay you to go to school
    3: If i took two years of college here i would get free music lessons, free spanish lessons and alot of other subjects with people my age. I want to be a journalist im almost 98% sure about that, but the two years would allow me to be able to change my mind and not loose anything if you get what i mean? And then apply for uni in england.

I just think two years in a place you dont wanna be is a long time... But at the same time, if i go to London to work for a year and get some other experiences, i wouldnt like being older than the others on the course at college as i don't have many friends as it is... I dont know..

I know there are other ways of being succesful then going to uni, but i like going to school and learning as much as possible.

I was in Liverpool and i liked it there. Not much black people though... London would prob be better. Im very interested in something called an access course to higher education which is a year of prep and doing A-levels so you can enter Uni if you dont have the right qualifications to do so. Im not completely sure if i could get help with fundings though. In Liverpool i went to a school which offers 18 weeks and then you get a Journalism Diploma and you can basically work after that. But what if i change my mind and want to do something else.. My second choice would be Music Teacher but then i would need to study music first somewhere.

Im pretty positive i want to live in England someday though.

Honestly, what would you do in my situation?

Im seriously confused.

ReputationRep:
    I'd stay in Denmark for a few years and enjoy the educational benefits! You're only young, you have years and years after that where you can come to England, and do a degree over here then if you still wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    Stay in Denmark for my degree then move to the UK...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDanishAlmond)
    I wanna move to England. Why? I speak the language, the people seem more open, loads to do, alot more black people and its in Europe. Therefor i dont need a visa and can go and come back when i want.

Next week im turning 21 so i do realize im young and do have "time" enough to explore a little, but i do want to return to university at some point and not feel too old to do so.

My heart wants to leave as im not happy here

But there are some amazing perks about being from Denmark:

1: All education is free
    2: They pay you to go to school
    3: If i took two years of college here i would get free music lessons, free spanish lessons and alot of other subjects with people my age. I want to be a journalist im almost 98% sure about that, but the two years would allow me to be able to change my mind and not loose anything if you get what i mean? And then apply for uni in england.

I just think two years in a place you dont wanna be is a long time... But at the same time, if i go to London to work for a year and get some other experiences, i wouldnt like being older than the others on the course at college as i don't have many friends as it is... I dont know..

I know there are other ways of being succesful then going to uni, but i like going to school and learning as much as possible.

I was in Liverpool and i liked it there. Not much black people though... London would prob be better. Im very interested in something called an access course to higher education which is a year of prep and doing A-levels so you can enter Uni if you dont have the right qualifications to do so. Im not completely sure if i could get help with fundings though. In Liverpool i went to a school which offers 18 weeks and then you get a Journalism Diploma and you can basically work after that. But what if i change my mind and want to do something else.. My second choice would be Music Teacher but then i would need to study music first somewhere.

Im pretty positive i want to live in England someday though.

Honestly, what would you do in my situation?

Im seriously confused.

I would stay in Denmark, become a journalist, and than visit England and write an article from the heart...

(FYI, the education services you wrote about are making me want to go to Denmark right now... I live in such a country where thinking about my future education pushed me into 1.5 year long depression....)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses so far!

Wow, i think England is great! I wish i lived there....

Denmark is boring and two years in a place where im not happy is going to be a hassle... Plus the hours in school are higher than in england so it wont be peachy... But the perks are amazing...

ReputationRep:
    Do what will make you happiest.. I'm in a similar situation having to decide if I should do something I'm not sure about for two years and in all honestly I think people should live in the moment and do what you will enjoy the most.

You don't know whats around the corner, plan for the now and don't worry about the age situation!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ to all you brits saying i should stay,

do you think this is a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" or do you understand my love for england?

ReputationRep:
    do you think this is a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" or do you understand my love for england?
    I think a longing for a place other than where you are is understandable and if you enjoyed your visit to Liverpool then I appreciate that would make you more interested in living here. I would just advise caution about getting into so much debt for an education that is free and very high quality in Denmark. Taking advantage of the good things about your living situation now seems a prudent course of action, whereas following your heart and moving to the UK could leave you with a long term debt problem that you could have easily avoided.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ to all you brits saying i should stay,

I personally have considered working in Denmark, and I'm not joking :erm: I've been trying to learn the language, but not really advanced beyond the basics.

I don't think it's that the grass is greener necessarily, to look at it a different way, it is simply traditional for one to grow up in a single culture, which can get boring after a while, and so it's not surprising that one often would want to try out a different country. Now, each European culture obviously has its own equally good qualities, France, Germany, Italy, Britain, the Scandinavian countries, so why you're specifically an Anglophile rather than a Francophile is impossible for me to say; random little things we see/hear/watch on television about a certain country seem to hook us on that culture during young age, which then lasts into adulthood :hmmmm: By all means, definitely move to the UK when you're ready; if it's what you want then you'll regret it if you don't. I simply hope our humble country lives up to your expectations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I personally have considered working in Denmark, and I'm not joking :erm: I've been trying to learn the language, but not really advanced beyond the basics.

I don't think it's that the grass is greener necessarily, to look at it a different way, it is simply traditional for one to grow up in a single culture, which can get boring after a while, and so it's not surprising that one often would want to try out a different country. Now, each European culture obviously has its own equally good qualities, France, Germany, Italy, Britain, the Scandinavian countries, so why you're specifically an Anglophile rather than a Francophile is impossible for me to say; random little things we see/hear/watch on television about a certain country seem to hook us on that culture during young age, which then lasts into adulthood :hmmmm: By all means, definitely move to the UK when you're ready; if it's what you want then you'll regret it if you don't. I simply hope our humble country lives up to your expectations
    Really?! Why Denmark though? Have you been here?

Yeah the language is a pain to learn/master. But it also depends on how much you study and obviously if you came here, you would learn it quicker. I was born here so my danish is perfect. My parents have been here alot longer and their danish is still not as good as mine...

Denmark does have its perks though, as i have listed but its a complete bore..

I hope so too! The worst thing would be if i regretted going to England... But then i guess i could always come back....

ReputationRep:
    If i said i liked a place but i wouldnt move there because there wasn't many white people i would get slated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manc990)
    If i said i liked a place but i wouldnt move there because there wasn't many white people i would get slated!
    Yeah i know. But i think it depends on why.
    If you were born and raised in Africa and you wanted to be a place where you didnt stick out much as it bothered you i doubt you would get slated.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.