Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think both have a similar amount of societies and they seem so similar in all other factors too! I just hope I haven't overlooked or missed a key issue which strongly differentiates them. I've been told by a lot of people that Exeter will probably be considered better than Southampton in law in that it has a good strong reputation for traditional subjects whereas southampton is a bit more for science based subjects. What do you think about that? And thanks Legendary I suppose Russell Group status is not that important.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a final year law student at southampton and all i can say is its a great uni. The course is well run and you can get any extra support you need if necessary. The university has a solid reputation amongst law firms and yes we do have magic circle firms at the law fairs. You will find the law fairs fantastic as they are generally held when we don't have much on and the young trainees they send down like to go out afterwards, so if you sick around you an get a free night out because they put all drinks on the company especially if you are a peer mentor the law tutors will tend to arrange separate events with law firms for the first years and you spend the day with the law firms employees and can generally go out in the evening with them then too (obviously do not tell everyone this). This can be very valuable as if you are nice they will allow you to send them a completed draft answer or two when you are looking for jobs.

I should also add that if you are really keen on going abroad southampton is the place. You can still go if you get a 2:2 they just try and scare you away from applying. My friend went to belgium last year with only a 2:2 and she said very few people applied she got a fantastic array of choice. I should point out that the 2:2 will only apply to the opportunities in europe, the unis in china and singapore will not accept you with less than a 2:1.

If you want to know specific details about the course etc let me know.

As to your question about science Southampton is best known for engineering, I think its number one in the Uk, it has definitely been above oxford and cambridge before, the students get tons of free stuff because the department makes so much money, even computers. I'm not even in that department and my laptop is currently being powered by free RAM they gave out!!

ReputationRep:
    See that's what I just have a feeling about Southampton that it's better for engineering type subjects. But I have to say that when I did visit Southampton for the post-offer day, the students were really friendly! I'm not sure if you know but the swimming pool on campus, does it get crowded a lot because every time I visited southampton it was always full and I was thinking what's the point of going swimming if it's always going to be crowded! :P And do a lot of students at southampton end up as Barristers and at magic law firms? I've applied directly for law with european studies so going abroad is part of my course, hopefully to Spain (universidad complutense de madrid is a very good university) Anyone you know that went there?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I hope this isn't representative of Exeter though.. it's kind of put me a bit off exeter now : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxpl30sJw9w

Does anyone think Exeter is like this?

ReputationRep:
    it's a raving tory den im afraid :awsome:, then again you dont have to live in Holland Hall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrules0193)
    I hope this isn't representative of Exeter though.. it's kind of put me a bit off exeter now : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxpl30sJw9w

Does anyone think Exeter is like this?
    Haha that's actually funny.. Personally I think all this rah talk is exaggerating the situation. Exeter can't be that different from other unis :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm not anti-tory in fact I would have voted for them in the last election. And why does everyone criticise Holland Hall. Is it really that bad? I quite liked the place as well. And I suppose Legend...dary I mean there might be a few more than come from private schools but surely that's a good sign for exeter? And lionboy is it just Holland Hall in your opinion otherwise I might stay away from there but it looks really nice and posh isn't bad but if they're going to make fun of me then I don't want to go there. At my state school people think I'm posh and I'm certainly not working class, I live in a very tory safe seat and I have friends from St Paul's! Do you think I'll be made fun of at exeter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    RG is a group of unis who lobby for research (ie postgrad/lecturer) funding. When it was originally formed it was only open to unis with medical schools (hence no Durham, Bath, St Andrew's or Exeter, and no LSE until a few years ago).

The media just uses the RG term because they think it's an easy way to categorise unis without having to write "the top 20/fairly elite unis" in their articles!

Every law firm will know that Exeter is a really good uni, the fact that it's not in a union who lobby for research funding is completely irrelevant!
    Agreed on all counts. However, as to the 'Exeter is not in a union who lobby for research funding', they are a member of the 1994 Group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    Agreed on all counts. However, as to the 'Exeter is not in a union who lobby for research funding', they are a member of the 1994 Group.
    Oops, completely wrote the wrong thing there! Meant to write 'not a member of that specific union'.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think being from a state school stop me from integrating with people. And is Holland Hall really that bad, it looks really nice! And do you get to meet a lot of people in self-catered halls?

And does Southampton have a nice atmosphere? Anyone recommend any en-suite halls?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second year at Southampton and I can definitely say that it was the right decision. I chose Southampton because unlike other unis I visited it really did have a welcoming and friendly atmosphere, and there is great support wherever you need it. The careers service is also excellent - the Employability Skills Week they do in February in your second year is really good (i dnt think any other unis do it) - they get lots of major chambers and law firms as well as law schools to give you talks and workshops which definitely bulks up your CV! I also know a fair few people in m year that have secured Vac Schemes at magic circle law firms this year, and othr wll known firms. I myself have a VS at shoosmiths. Exeter is also a reputable uni, but have to say it is true that it is more of a "preppy" uni from what friends have said to me who go there. Southampton has an excellent reputation for law and also very good links. When law firms visit the uni the trainees they bring often have come from Southampton which shows that employers like Southampton students!

Accomodation: I was in ensuite halls for first year. I was in Highfield Halls (Wolfe House). It is small halls, only about 120 people living there and was catered. Everyone you speak to will be biased and say they love their halls tho! I liked the fact it was smaller, gave it a real community feel and you got to know everyone really well rather than just the select few people up your corridor. The rooms were larger than most uni rooms as well! It is also the closest walk to uni - took me 7 minutes to walk if you walked quickly, 10 if u walk slow. It also has lovely walled courtyard area. Look it up, it is very pretty! Obviously most people apply to Glen Eyre, but it depends what you are after. Glen Eyre was definitely known for being the "party" halls. But i liked Highfield, it felt much more like a home

Hope that helps! sorry it was such a long message :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm studying English at Exeter so I can't talk about law, but I really love the uni. Everyone is very friendly, the location is great and the campus is beautiful. If you're at all worried about it being less academic than other unis you might have applied to, lots of people are Oxbridge rejects and the academic standards are pretty high. My friends who study law seem to work extremely hard!
    Regarding the sporty reputation, I'm not sporty and I haven't found it to be a problem at all. There's a great range of all types of societies to get involved with and one of the things I've loved most about my first year is how easy i've found it to be myself.
    I'm in Mardon Hall and I couldn't recommend it enough. If you like old buildings and really friendly people it's definitely the hall to choose. It also has great facilities and is cheaper than a lot of the other accommodation. Lopes and Hope Halls are also very popular.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hay cl14g09 do you mind if I ask how your VS with shoosmiths went and maybe what to expect as I have been offered one this summer?. Any info on your experience/any tips etc would be much appreciated.

(Original post by cl14g09)
    I'm a second year at Southampton and I can definitely say that it was the right decision. I chose Southampton because unlike other unis I visited it really did have a welcoming and friendly atmosphere, and there is great support wherever you need it. The careers service is also excellent - the Employability Skills Week they do in February in your second year is really good (i dnt think any other unis do it) - they get lots of major chambers and law firms as well as law schools to give you talks and workshops which definitely bulks up your CV! I also know a fair few people in m year that have secured Vac Schemes at magic circle law firms this year, and othr wll known firms. I myself have a VS at shoosmiths. Exeter is also a reputable uni, but have to say it is true that it is more of a "preppy" uni from what friends have said to me who go there. Southampton has an excellent reputation for law and also very good links. When law firms visit the uni the trainees they bring often have come from Southampton which shows that employers like Southampton students!

Accomodation: I was in ensuite halls for first year. I was in Highfield Halls (Wolfe House). It is small halls, only about 120 people living there and was catered. Everyone you speak to will be biased and say they love their halls tho! I liked the fact it was smaller, gave it a real community feel and you got to know everyone really well rather than just the select few people up your corridor. The rooms were larger than most uni rooms as well! It is also the closest walk to uni - took me 7 minutes to walk if you walked quickly, 10 if u walk slow. It also has lovely walled courtyard area. Look it up, it is very pretty! Obviously most people apply to Glen Eyre, but it depends what you are after. Glen Eyre was definitely known for being the "party" halls. But i liked Highfield, it felt much more like a home

Hope that helps! sorry it was such a long message :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.