Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A guy in my house was studying at St Andrew's, applied for PPE and got in. So it can be done. There's also a girl studying English in my year who was at UCL, but I don't know how she did it - she may have dropped out and reapplied, not sure.

ReputationRep:
    I did this - was at uni in London but dropped out, going to Oxford this October... message me if you want any advice, would be happy to help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    A guy in my house was studying at St Andrew's, applied for PPE and got in. So it can be done. There's also a girl studying English in my year who was at UCL, but I don't know how she did it - she may have dropped out and reapplied, not sure.
    I'm happy to know that this method has actually worked as long as they're happy at Oxford and not regretting the effort of reapplication.

(Original post by dothesnowdome)
    I did this - was at uni in London but dropped out, going to Oxford this October... message me if you want any advice, would be happy to help!
    Thank you - I will take you up on that

ReputationRep:
    You put Oxbridge so I hope I can input on behalf of 'the other place' of which I will broadly assume given what else has been said here is largely similar to Oxford.

It does happen but not very often. Sadly to contradict the very first thing you put OP the thing I would advise you would be to decline all options and reapply if Oxford is your dream. Like I said I'm speaking from Cam perspective, and I've known people attempt to apply but it just doesn't happen very often - the advice given by colleges tend to sway towards the reapply next year rather than attempt to change course whilst you're at another university.

This is of course a highly risky procedure but I applied post-A2 and I feel I got a significant advantage because of that in terms of my maturity and knowledge towards my subject and I dare say you would the same.

Perhaps this is general opining, but I have looked into this and know of people who've gone through it (Cambridge wise), but I hope what I've said can help anyway good luck, but remember Oxbridge isn't everything and you can always come back postgrad if it's still your dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comrade_jon)
    You put Oxbridge so I hope I can input on behalf of 'the other place' of which I will broadly assume given what else has been said here is largely similar to Oxford.

It does happen but not very often. Sadly to contradict the very first thing you put OP the thing I would advise you would be to decline all options and reapply if Oxford is your dream. Like I said I'm speaking from Cam perspective, and I've known people attempt to apply but it just doesn't happen very often - the advice given by colleges tend to sway towards the reapply next year rather than attempt to change course whilst you're at another university.

This is of course a highly risky procedure but I applied post-A2 and I feel I got a significant advantage because of that in terms of my maturity and knowledge towards my subject and I dare say you would the same.

Perhaps this is general opining, but I have looked into this and know of people who've gone through it (Cambridge wise), but I hope what I've said can help anyway good luck, but remember Oxbridge isn't everything and you can always come back postgrad if it's still your dream.
    Thanks for your input I have firmed now and I'm really very scared about the prospect of withdrawing on results day but given what you've said here I'll give it some thought. I'm just one of these people who hates uncertainty soo I'd rather not have no uni place at all, especially with competition mounting. But thank you for the suggestion - I know that my maturity and knowledge (as well as knowing what course I actually want to do rather than messing with joint honours) would and has probably already increased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenkatsu)
    Thanks for your input I have firmed now and I'm really very scared about the prospect of withdrawing on results day but given what you've said here I'll give it some thought. I'm just one of these people who hates uncertainty soo I'd rather not have no uni place at all, especially with competition mounting. But thank you for the suggestion - I know that my maturity and knowledge (as well as knowing what course I actually want to do rather than messing with joint honours) would and has probably already increased
    Oh definitely, in your position I would most certainly do the same and just go along with my other choice especially as you clearly very much like yours (plus postgrad Oxbridge). But the other road is there if you wish.

However, as to your mounting competition point, it's probably pretty safe to say this year has been the toughest year and will most likely be tougher than the 2012 cycle because of the huge amount of people choosing to avoid the tuition fee rise. The statistics are not out yet of course, but I think it's safe to guess that deferred entries will be considerably down as well purely because of that, so your chances may be marginally better but indeed only marginal.

Once again, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comrade_jon)
    The statistics are not out yet of course, but I think it's safe to guess that deferred entries will be considerably down as well purely because of that, so your chances may be marginally better but indeed only marginal.

Once again, good luck
    Thank you! Perhaps I'm being simplistic but...

2010 UCAS: everyone who would normally apply + those who would have gapped before the fee rise + 10 deferrers + last year's year 13 gappers 10/11 + reapplicants + mature students

2011 UCAS: everyone who would normally apply - those who are genuinely put off by fee rise + less 11 deferrers + smaller number of last year's year 13 gappers 11/12 + less reapplicants + less mature students (basing this on the fee rise as well)

= marginally better situation as you say ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you! Perhaps I'm being simplistic but...

2010 UCAS: everyone who would normally apply + those who would have gapped before the fee rise + 10 deferrers + last year's year 13 gappers 10/11 + reapplicants + mature students

2011 UCAS: everyone who would normally apply - those who are genuinely put off by fee rise + less 11 deferrers + smaller number of last year's year 13 gappers 11/12 + less reapplicants + less mature students (basing this on the fee rise as well)

= marginally better situation as you say ?
    I was thinking about this. The increase in applicants has rissen every year, and Oxbridge attract a large proportion of those who wouldn't be put off by the fee rise. My bets are on the same amount of applicants, possibly even more for 2012 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I was thinking about this. The increase in applicants has rissen every year, and Oxbridge attract a large proportion of those who wouldn't be put off by the fee rise. My bets are on the same amount of applicants, possibly even more for 2012 :/
    Haha I seriously hope not...are you thinking of reapplying whilst at another uni?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Haha I seriously hope not...are you thinking of reapplying whilst at another uni?
    Yes, but for Cambridge. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Yes, but for Cambridge. Best of luck!
    Thank you, likewise with Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heroesorghosts)
    I will be starting at Imperial in the coming October (conditional on a 2 in STEP II or III) having been rejected from Oxford this year. I was under the impression that once you have started at university it isn't possible to reapply through UCAS. Do you know what procedures your friend had to follow in order to do so? Was it simply a case of starting another UCAS account as an individual applicant i.e. not with a school, or did they have to first withdraw from their course at Imperial? The reason why I am so interested is that apart from the fact that I have spent 6 months living in Oxford and am very fond of the place, as well as it being a brilliant university obviously, is that I am only 17 with 3 A Levels completed already (2 A*S, 1 A) and therefore can definitely afford to reapply next year (with regard to age/ability) in view of restarting a maths course in September 2012. Any help from you, your friend or anyone else on the matter would be greatly apprecited.
    Apologies for the late reply. As far as I'm aware, all my friend had to do was start up another account and reapply through the school. He of course needed references too which the school provided, and wrote another personal statement. Funnily enough, I think I might be doing the same thing next year actually... University to Oxford transition (attempts!) aren't quite perhaps as rare as one might think.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.