Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to be an Assistant Immigration Officer. Would you say that being Fast Streamer this would help me become that?

What exactly is Fast Stream? Can you explain in detail what is it and what it entails? How else can I become an AIO?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It'd be a pretty poor route.

On entering the fast stream you'd be 2 grades above an AIO and a grade above an Immigration Officier.

On promotion you'd be 4 and 3 grades higher respectively.

So no, it'd be a poor route to those roles.

The fast stream has no set definition, reading the blogs on the fast stream website are your best bet to understanding more.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying but I do not understand any of those terms. What grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherGirl)
    Thanks for replying but I do not understand any of those terms. What grades?
    Administrative Officer (AIO)
    Executive Officer (IO)

Fast Stream = Higher Executive to Senior Executive Officer depending on time on the scheme.

Promotion from Fast Stream = Grade 7.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow so I'd bypass what I want. I will assume it is difficult to get in then?
    Do you know any other way to become an AIO?
    Thank you by the way!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow so I'd bypass what I want. I will assume it is difficult to get in then?
    Do you know any other way to become an AIO?
    Thank you by the way!
    Well about a 30 to 1 applications to places ratio.

Buts its the only way into the civil service right now...
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ab...rentvacancies/

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Can I just ask, how do you know all this?

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Can I just ask, how do you know all this?
    Mainly because I'm a fast streamer.

I'd ceck out this thread if I was you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1352173

ReputationRep:
    I understand. I want to be nothing more than an Immigration Officer lol Maybe I shouldnt apply. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I understand. I want to be nothing more than an Immigration Officer lol Maybe I shouldnt apply. What do you think?
    Don't apply, just wait until the external recruitment freeze is over.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a specific position you want, the Fast Stream isn't really for you - you have very limited say over which Department you end up in, and even less over which division you end up in, and even less over which role in which division in which department you end up in.

So you would be relying on being (a) assigned to the Home Office; (b) being assigned to the UKBA within the Home Office and (c) being given a role within frontline immigration services within the UKBA.

As a Fast streamer, only about one third of what you do will be operational (i.e. direct delivery of services to the public) - you will also be involved in corporate functions (things like communications, finance etc) and policy roles. It sounds to me like you have no interest in the corporate or the policy roles and want to focus your career on an operational role.

I'm not sure what the best way in is, but I don't think it's the fast stream unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    If that's what you want to do then I agree you should just wait till the recruitment freeze is over, you would do a lot of waiting applying for the fast stream anyway as applications won't open till September time and then it takes from then till this time next year to get to the end of the application process as its so long (no exaggeration)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Why would you want to be an AO?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.