Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Podolshi)
    I applied to Uni of Liverpool, Sussex, Queen Mary and Hertfordshire. I applied for similar courses with a preliminary year for the first 3 of those, all with 1 in the box. I got turned down for Sussex and given offers for the other two, both changed it to '0' in the entry year. I applied for and was given an offer for direct entry to Biochemistry at Hertfordshire (so obviously they kept it as '1') but decided against it.
    Yeah Swansea have told me they would let me directly into first year, though that makes me doubt the scientific content of the course, so I am hoping I will get at least one other offer.

Applied to Liverpool also. Did they interview you?

What are you A-level grades and GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Yeah Swansea have told me they would let me directly into first year, though that makes me doubt the scientific content of the course, so I am hoping I will get at least one other offer.

Applied to Liverpool also. Did they interview you?

What are you A-level grades and GCSEs?
    Completely agree, I think it's worth spending an extra year to get into a better university; the main part of your course will most likely be of a better quality. Where else have you applied?

Nope, Liverpool just asked me to email them photocopies of my certificates to them. Have they responded to you?

GCSE results were 1xA*, 7xA, 2xB a Credit in DiDA. At A2 I got straight Cs in French, PE, Chemistry and Biology despite being predicted AABB what have you got/been predicted?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Uni of Liverpool, Sussex, Queen Mary and Hertfordshire. I applied for similar courses with a preliminary year for the first 3 of those, all with 1 in the box. I got turned down for Sussex and given offers for the other two, both changed it to '0' in the entry year. I applied for and was given an offer for direct entry to Biochemistry at Hertfordshire (so obviously they kept it as '1') but decided against it.

Nice one, great to hear!! Is it in the EDU building?

A lot of the questions she asked me were about what I'm doing in my year off, which probably doesn't apply to you. She did, though, ask me to persuade her that my academic record justifies entry to UEA, which normally has high entry requirements for their courses. In your case you could simply state that, with 420 UCAS points, you are clearly smart enough to enter onto the courses and you simply want to change disciplines to Science which is why you saw this course as the perfect way of doing this at a very good University. I also talked about extra-curricular activities such as a scientific study I had done at a local university to me, LJMU, when I was 17, plus my interests in music and language. She even told me about the music facilities they have plus that it may be possible to integrate a language into my degree depending on the pass grade in the preliminary year!

So, basically, you need to promote yourself as much as possible. You want to switch the emphasis of the interview from you persuading her to her persuading you to come to UEA. Towards the end of the interview, if she asks you if you've got anything else to add, then say anything except 'no' (I've done this in past interviews and never got the part!). It lasts 30 minutes to an hour so make sure you have a lot to say for yourself!

As far as clothing goes, I felt a bit over-dressed in my suit. The guy after me was wearing jeans and some sort of brown coat. I'd say that 'smart casual' would be ideal, personally I have no idea what it means and usually end up in a suit if I was asked to wear it but I'd say that 'smart casual' is probably the best choice for this interview.

Thank you very much for the advice. I am not sure where it is yet, she said she will send me an email before the interview with all the details in it so I assume I will be told where it is in that email. The interview will be on 2nd of May at 2pm.

Did she ask you any questions about science in general, you know just to test your knowledge in science or is it all about you?

"Towards the end of the interview, if she asks you if you've got anything else to add, then say anything except 'no'" What would be a good thing to say or ask at this time? since it is at the end of the interview I have probably ran out of things to say.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree, I think it's worth spending an extra year to get into a better university; the main part of your course will most likely be of a better quality. Where else have you applied?

Nope, Liverpool just asked me to email them photocopies of my certificates to them. Have they responded to you?

GCSE results were 1xA*, 7xA, 2xB a Credit in DiDA. At A2 I got straight Cs in French, PE, Chemistry and Biology despite being predicted AABB what have you got/been predicted?
    Liverpool withdrew their offer the other day, said the course was full, luckily it was just in time to change it for something else, had it been a day later I'd have had to leave it and would have been a total waste of an offer. The told me a week earlier they were still open which is what really pissed me off.

Southampton, Aberystwyth, UEA, Swansea and then replaced Liverpool with Plymouth. It is accredited by GeolSoc for geology so would rather go there than Swansea.
    Did UEA ask you for photocopies of results etc before an interview or anything?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawzan)
    Thank you very much for the advice. I am not sure where it is yet, she said she will send me an email before the interview with all the details in it so I assume I will be told where it is in that email. The interview will be on 2nd of May at 2pm.

Did she ask you any questions about science in general, you know just to test your knowledge in science or is it all about you?

"Towards the end of the interview, if she asks you if you've got anything else to add, then say anything except 'no'" What would be a good thing to say or ask at this time? since it is at the end of the interview I have probably ran out of things to say.
    There weren't any science questions, all about you! Though in your case she may ask about whether there's anything that fascinates you so much that it has made you want to transfer to science.

You want to show as much interest and commitment to the course and university as possible. If she asks you any vague questions like that you need to reiterate your credentials and highlight your best points. I gave a lot of praise to the university in my interview which didn't seem to lose any marks for me! Plus, if she asks if you have anything else to add, you can impress them by learning general knowledge about the university and asking for more information on the subjects. For example, the BBC recently did an article with UEA ranked 1st in a student experience poll. You could ask her about this and what benefits the students' experience. Plus any other queries you may have.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool withdrew their offer the other day, said the course was full, luckily it was just in time to change it for something else, had it been a day later I'd have had to leave it and would have been a total waste of an offer. The told me a week earlier they were still open which is what really pissed me off.

Southampton, Aberystwyth, UEA, Swansea and then replaced Liverpool with Plymouth. It is accredited by GeolSoc for geology so would rather go there than Swansea.
    Did UEA ask you for photocopies of results etc before an interview or anything?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Strange that! You would have thought that they'd only give offers out when they are certain they'll have place to accommodate the students. I wouldn't mind going to any of those universities, you'll be spoilt for choice! Yep, when I was waiting for my interview at UEA someone took my certificates and made photocopies.

ReputationRep:
    Strange that! You would have thought that they'd only give offers out when they are certain they'll have place to accommodate the students. I wouldn't mind going to any of those universities, you'll be spoilt for choice! Yep, when I was waiting for my interview at UEA someone took my certificates and made photocopies.
    yeah but what can you do eh, guess it was either a misinformed general admissions team (as opposed to the specific department admissions) or they actually did have spaces but they filled up in the 5-6 day window it took to send my application off and for them to receive and acknowledge it.

You replied to the offers yet? If not where you think you'll go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyyy)

I just wanted to ask about how it works about progressing to the following year. Will you be guaranteed a place if you get the grades required? How high are the asking percentages. All the site tells you is 120 credits but provides no figures for the specific unit marks.

ReputationRep:
    There weren't any science questions, all about you! Though in your case she may ask about whether there's anything that fascinates you so much that it has made you want to transfer to science.

You want to show as much interest and commitment to the course and university as possible. If she asks you any vague questions like that you need to reiterate your credentials and highlight your best points. I gave a lot of praise to the university in my interview which didn't seem to lose any marks for me! Plus, if she asks if you have anything else to add, you can impress them by learning general knowledge about the university and asking for more information on the subjects. For example, the BBC recently did an article with UEA ranked 1st in a student experience poll. You could ask her about this and what benefits the students' experience. Plus any other queries you may have.
    I went to the interview yesterday and got a conditional offer today It's still not shown on UCAS but I assume it will be there on Monday. Thank you Podolshi for helping me. Maybe I will see you there and thank you in person. Good luck to everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawzan)
    I went to the interview yesterday and got a conditional offer today It's still not shown on UCAS but I assume it will be there on Monday. Thank you Podolshi for helping me. Maybe I will see you there and thank you in person. Good luck to everybody else.
    Congratulations!! Great to hear. What were the conditions?

yeah but what can you do eh, guess it was either a misinformed general admissions team (as opposed to the specific department admissions) or they actually did have spaces but they filled up in the 5-6 day window it took to send my application off and for them to receive and acknowledge it.

You replied to the offers yet? If not where you think you'll go?
    Yup, accepted my unconditional from UEA for this course! Have you replied to your offers?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!! Great to hear. What were the conditions?
    Thank you. The conditions are Merit Merit Merit in my BTEC course and C in GCSE science which I am redoing. Both very possible. Also I just got the email from UCAS and I accepted UEA as my firm and UCS as my insurance.
    Very happy.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here attend UEA and know much about what happens if you fail your modules?

I've heard UEA can be quite ruthless to Year 0 students who don't do well in their exams.

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional from UEA for the science foundation! Wishing you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smorg)
    Does anyone here attend UEA and know much about what happens if you fail your modules?

I've heard UEA can be quite ruthless to Year 0 students who don't do well in their exams.
    If you have extenuating circumstances they might let you resit the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    If you have extenuating circumstances they might let you resit the year.
    Ok, so they don't normally let you retake the year no? Also what about resits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smorg)
    Ok, so they don't normally let you retake the year no? Also what about resits?
    Sorry I don't know about that, you'd need to contact your adviser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smorg)

I can't imagine that this would be specific to UEA. You need to remember that the year 0 is essentially bringing you up to a standard to do well on year 1, so it is serving the same purpose as A-levels. So if you fail a core module I think it would be unlikely they will let you continue to year 1 and let you resit the module there. They may allow you to resit the final exams in the summer, however continuous assessments/practicals probably not.

What did you hear and who from? I am assuming it wasn't from a year 0 student otherwise you wouldn't have been asking that question here?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, accepted my unconditional from UEA for this course! Have you replied to your offers?

Still waiting to hear back from a couple. Got an unconditional from UEA so I'll most likely go there. Might even accept it before the rest reply as UEA was my first choice. Can't see my mind changing in the face of any new offers.

What are you looking to progress to and any idea what foundation modules you plan on taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    Still waiting to hear back from a couple. Got an unconditional from UEA so I'll most likely go there. Might even accept it before the rest reply as UEA was my first choice. Can't see my mind changing in the face of any new offers.

What are you looking to progress to and any idea what foundation modules you plan on taking?
    The 3 of the 4 I'm selecting will probably be Chem, Bio and Physics. The maths specific to each one will be taught so no need to take just Maths in my opinion! I'm going to do a little research throughout the first year to decide what to take out of Biochemistry, Microbiology or Pharmacy. Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    The 3 of the 4 I'm selecting will probably be Chem, Bio and Physics. The maths specific to each one will be taught so no need to take just Maths in my opinion! I'm going to do a little research throughout the first year to decide what to take out of Biochemistry, Microbiology or Pharmacy. Yourself?
    Maths, Chemistry and I haven't really decided whether to take physics or biology yet, physics would be the better option for my course but I'd be worried I'd have too much on my plate.

Earth Science, though may change my mind when I get there. That's one great thing about this course is the progression is so flexible.

I'm confused as to what subject we actually take, on the website it say we take 3 of either maths, chem, bio and physics in both first and second semesters. But on the information booklet it says we take all four in first semester and then 3 in the second.

Did they send you a student handbook after you firmed?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.