The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I really enjoyed the year. You do a maths test during Freshers, to decide which of the 4 maths groups you go in to. I found maths and physics the easiest, and although I enjoyed chemistry and bio, it didn`t seem to sink in. I failed an organic chemistry test badly (17%).
After Christmas, I dropped biology, purely because that was my lowest mark in the semester 1 exams.

Lab work was fun. If you don`t find yourself a lab partner, you will be working with the person next to you. I suggest that you write up the lab report the same day. Do not leave it a week and rush it before the deadline to hand it in. Like I did.

Robert Jenkins in the Dean Of Students building is available to anyone who has any problems with maths. I still go to him for help with abstract algebra. He is excellent. Get to know him.

I hope you like 9am starts.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 101
Original post by Matureb
I really enjoyed the year. You do a maths test during Freshers, to decide which of the 4 maths groups you go in to. I found maths and physics the easiest, and although I enjoyed chemistry and bio, it didn`t seem to sink in. I failed an organic chemistry test badly (17%).
After Christmas, I dropped biology, purely because that was my lowest mark in the semester 1 exams.

Lab work was fun. If you don`t find yourself a lab partner, you will be working with the person next to you. I suggest that you write up the lab report the same day. Do not leave it a week and rush it before the deadline to hand it in. Like I did.

Robert Jenkins in the Dean Of Students building is available to anyone who has any problems with maths. I still go to him for help with abstract algebra. He is excellent. Get to know him.

I hope you like 9am starts.

Related to the 9am starts - Is your timetable really packed full for the whole day, like 9 -5 , five days a week?
Reply 102
Also how difficult is the chemistry two modules to complete with roughly 70% ....
Reply 103
Jakelee. Someone who has just finished the year would know better as I am trying to remember from 2008/9.
There are 2 hours of lectures for each of the 4 sciences, plus problem classes and lab work. The mornings were pretty full, but the afternoons were pretty free. Wednesday afternoons are always free. After Xmas, you do an extra lecture a week on the 3 remaining subjects.

Ggecko. That depends on your strengths really. I barely scraped 50% in semester 2 chemistry. Others did much better - esp the pharmacists.
Original post by Matureb
Jakelee. Someone who has just finished the year would know better as I am trying to remember from 2008/9.
There are 2 hours of lectures for each of the 4 sciences, plus problem classes and lab work. The mornings were pretty full, but the afternoons were pretty free. Wednesday afternoons are always free. After Xmas, you do an extra lecture a week on the 3 remaining subjects.

Ggecko. That depends on your strengths really. I barely scraped 50% in semester 2 chemistry. Others did much better - esp the pharmacists.

Ok I'm crapping myself about these maths test you take at the beginning.

I haven't done maths for 2 years and they things I have learned, I have fogotten most of it.

Are these test difficult?
Reply 105
The maths test is an online multiple one. It starts off very easy and the questions get harder later. Don`t worry about it. It is just to decide which module to put you in. If you have done gcse maths with a good grade, you should get into the top group, which is to take you up to A level.
A set book for the other 3 levels is maths-a student`s survival guide by J. Olive. It is recommended for the top group. There are several copies in the library, but you may be able to get a copy on ebay/amazon.
Reply 106
Original post by Matureb

Appreciate your reply, what did you mean esp the pharmacists, you mean the students who looked towards opting to continue onto the Pharmacy course right? Also, is the difficulty greater than a level, less, or on par if you see where I'm coming from? Many people get greater than 70% ?

Cheers
Reply 107
I got a grade C in A level Nuffield chemistry back in `72, so I remembered none of it.
None of the people I used to hang around with intended to do chemistry or pharmacy and we tended to put more effort into the physics/maths modules. If I had known about the £500 bonus for averaging 80% over the year, I would have tried harder in chemistry (got 78.7% average).
Have you seen that the goalposts have moved? If you have got A level chemistry, you now need 75% in both chem modules to go into pharmacy. Only 1 person I know got remotely near that.
Good luck.
Reply 108
Thank you very much for your reply Matureb it's very helpful. :smile:
Reply 109
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of applying for the Bsc Foundation course and the MPHARM just incase. I really want to apply for Pharmacy and I'm scared to apply for the foundation course just incase I wont be picked to get into Pharmacy!

I have currently got CCDD at AS and im dropping the D (french). I have CCD and i am hoping to increase my grades but if i dont, ill be happy to start with the Foundation year.

I was just wondering if i should apply to the foundation course with a Pharmacy personal statement? In addition, I am wondering how difficult it is to obtain a 75% to actually enter the pharmacy side. Thanks!
Reply 110
Original post by Matureb
I got a grade C in A level Nuffield chemistry back in `72, so I remembered none of it.
None of the people I used to hang around with intended to do chemistry or pharmacy and we tended to put more effort into the physics/maths modules. If I had known about the £500 bonus for averaging 80% over the year, I would have tried harder in chemistry (got 78.7% average).
Have you seen that the goalposts have moved? If you have got A level chemistry, you now need 75% in both chem modules to go into pharmacy. Only 1 person I know got remotely near that.
Good luck.

Cheers, didn'tdo a level chemistry hence the reason for doing this course, as I now want to go to this route and found this being the best possible avenue to go down.. so will only need 70% in chem, but are you saying even that is exceptionally difficult?
Original post by danyaaaaa
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of applying for the Bsc Foundation course and the MPHARM just incase. I really want to apply for Pharmacy and I'm scared to apply for the foundation course just incase I wont be picked to get into Pharmacy!

I have currently got CCDD at AS and im dropping the D (french). I have CCD and i am hoping to increase my grades but if i dont, ill be happy to start with the Foundation year.

I was just wondering if i should apply to the foundation course with a Pharmacy personal statement? In addition, I am wondering how difficult it is to obtain a 75% to actually enter the pharmacy side. Thanks!

I was in pretty much your situation when i was applying for this year - i wrote a pharmacy type personal statement as i applied to all pharmacy courses plus the science foundation - it'll be obvious to them that you want to do pharmacy, and that you're applying also to the foundation bcoz you want to do pharmacy. :]
^ also, at a different uni, i applied for both pharmacy and their foundation course, and i got offers for both of them, not just one or the other.
Reply 113
Ggecko. I know of one person who went into pharmacy and another who went into MChem, so it is possible. I doubt if I could have done it. I hung around with the mature students mostly and we either stayed on the Bsc with foundation year, went into biology or into Nat Sci.
Hopefully someone from last years course who went into chem/pharm will come along shortly.

As I put before: Find yourself a good lab partner. Again from memory, a large % of the year is based on lab/coursework. For physics, it is possible to pass the course on lab/coursework alone. Not advisable though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Matureb
Ggecko. I know of one person who went into pharmacy and another who went into MChem, so it is possible. I doubt if I could have done it. I hung around with the mature students mostly and we either stayed on the Bsc with foundation year, went into biology or into Nat Sci.
Hopefully someone from last years course who went into chem/pharm will come along shortly.

As I put before: Find yourself a good lab partner. Again from memory, a large % of the year is based on lab/coursework. For physics, it is possible to pass the course on lab/coursework alone. Not advisable though.

How do you go about finding yourself a good lab partner when you don't know anyone?! I HATE when you have to choose partners, reminds me of horrible physics days where i never understood the practicals and everyone was already in friendship groups as I had moved to a diff school, a boys one, with mixed 6th form, and the whole physics class seemed to be 'rowdy' type lads who were all doing the subject so they could do racing cars courses :/ and i just stood there like a total dumbass :[
At least everyone will all be in the same boat when we start the course :]
On my 1st day of a-level chem i got sat next to this girl who ended up being 1 of my close friends, but she was hopelessly 'ditzy' and when we worked together it was just like the blind leading the blind!
Reply 115
If you have done A level chemistry, then you ARE the good lab partner that the others will be seeking.
Oh!! haha. oh dear, that would be strange..i'm used to being the person that ALWAYS does the practicals wrong...actually had my teacher stay with me afterschool and help me with my practical coursework which wasn't really allowed but i was so hopeless. But, hopefully, i will be able to use all that experience of a-level practicals for this course :]
Are we supposed to buy textbooks for this course? And if so, is that when we get there?
Reply 118
Any one got their timetable online yet? I've just got Bio lessons lol.

Original post by Emma Ramone
Are we supposed to buy textbooks for this course? And if so, is that when we get there?

Supposedly you can get all the books you need in the waterstones on campus.
Reply 119
Original post by Jakelee
Any one got their timetable online yet? I've just got Bio lessons lol.

Supposedly you can get all the books you need in the waterstones on campus.

Where'd you find your timetable online?...Mine seems blank the one I am looking at when you click student, then timetable in month view..is blank for october.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending