Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Question about NHS pay watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How is NHS pay calculated? Is it based on the inflation rate?

No idea where to post this so mods feel free to move it wherever appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    bumping

ReputationRep:
    Well, itall depends on the job the person is doing and their salary as well, its going to vary just on that, and with the NHS being the biggest employer in the UK theres going to be a lot of variety.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't mean anything...

How can you calculate NHS pay from inflation?

You can calculate the rise but not the pay.

Anyway the answer is they are on a 2 year pay freeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    That doesn't mean anything...

How can you calculate NHS pay from inflation?

You can calculate the rise but not the pay.

Anyway the answer is they are on a 2 year pay freeze.
    Only those on over 21k per annum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Only those on over 21k per annum.
    Yeah sorry only those on over 21k, so pretty much everyone in the NHS is getting a £250 pay rise for the next 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yeah sorry only those on over 21k, so pretty much everyone in the NHS is getting a £250 pay rise for the next 2 years.
    Not really, nurses pay starts at 21k, and doctors on about 23k IIRC, which makes up a large chunk of the staff too.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, nurses pay starts at 21k, and doctors on about 23k IIRC, which makes up a large chunk of the staff too.
    About what proportion of NHS staff are on £21k or less?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    About what proportion of NHS staff are on £21k or less?
    There will be a lot of them as well, but no way is it the majority of the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I thought there had been a pay freeze for nurses/drs?

A £250 pay rise over 2 years is hardly anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    How is NHS pay calculated? Is it based on the inflation rate?

For most staff (permanent staff) there is a standardized banding/grading system (grade for doctors and bands for non doctors) which takes into account your grade, position and if relevant experience. There is usually a range for a particular grade e.g. band 2 healthcare assistant might be between £12-14k.

For those who work part time, overtime or unsocial hours this is calculated accordingly.

As far as I know, the pay grades seem fairly similar across the country (e.g. a first year nurse will have a fairly standard salary, an FY1 doctor will have a fairly standard salary), with slightly higher pay in London to cover the increased cost of living.

For senior doctors or other senior healthcare professionals they may be awarded extra pay if they take on additional responsibilities e.g. head of department, research role, teaching role

If a consultant (Dr) performs outstandingly, they may be awarded an annual bonus. n.b. the majority of NHS staff do not get an annual bonus. If you are very senior and perform well, then maybe.

Some staff are locum or bank and are paid by the hour at a fixed hourly rate (about £6 per hour outside London for HCAs, more for qualified nursing staff), which is usually standard for a particular role & position. e.g. nurses, HCAs. I'm not sure how it works for locum doctors.

For managers/chief execs things seem to work rather differently and I really don't know how their pay is calculated, but chief execs are usually good at protecting their bonuses. I've seen quoted salaries for chief execs in the £100ks depending on location, performance + status of hospital/trust.

If you want to look at NHS salaries, search for jobs on the NHS jobs website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    A fair number to include all sorts of "assistants", healthcare assistants, porters, cleaners, kitchen staff, admin staff, secretarial staff, maintenance staff...
    So is that 3% or 97%?

ReputationRep:
    I thought there had been a pay freeze for nurses/drs?

A £250 pay rise over 2 years is hardly anything
    Surely thats something to take up with post #7?

More than a £0 pay rise over two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So is that 3% or 97%?
    The majority of people who work in the NHS are on over £21k, check out the NHS jobs website.

I don't know percentage wise, but more than 3% and way less than 97%

To be honest, the people on under £21k aren't a big chunk of staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    No, because most people in the NHS, or at least a significant % earn over £21k

ReputationRep:
    No, because most people in the NHS, or at least a significant % earn over £21k
    I'm guessing you didn't notice the sarcasm in response to post #5 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I'm guessing you didn't notice the sarcasm in response to post #5 then?
    It's late!

ReputationRep:
    There will be a lot of them as well, but no way is it the majority of the NHS.
    probably subcontracted them out anyway nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out that it's £250 in each of the next two years ie £500 over two years for those earning under £21,000 p/a.

Much better than what they got in Ireland where many got a 14% pay cut over the next four years and their unions agreed to it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.