Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you use the air conditioner while driving? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ..... as per above.

How often do you use the air conditioning especially during the summer months.

ReputationRep:
    Most days from April to September. I dont think its worth having it in the UK though.

ReputationRep:
    Never, it's a waste of fuel. I just open the window instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWire)
    Most days from April to September. I dont think its worth having it in the UK though.
    Even if you're living in a very cold country such as those in Scandinavia, the air conditioner is often used when you need to demist the windows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Never, it's a waste of fuel. I just open the window instead.
    A very popular myth

Driving with the windows open uses even more fuel than keeping the windows up and turning on the air conditioner.

ReputationRep:

That answer the question?

ReputationRep:
    Now, all the time. It makes a 1 to 2 mpg (if that) difference in my diesel Focus so I'd rather be more comfortable and be able to listen to my music properly with the windows closed.

ReputationRep:
    Always, especially with the window open.
    Why?

Because I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    A very popular myth

Driving with the windows open uses even more fuel than keeping the windows up and turning on the air conditioner.
    That depends entirely on how fast you're going, inner city driving where you rarely get above 30 mph it's more efficient to just have the windows open as the drag from having the windows open is negligible at low speeds. Fast motorway driving i.e. 70mph then air conditioning becomes slightly more efficient.

I never did much motorway driving so it never made any sense to use it.

ReputationRep:
    with my last car i used it on the first day i bought it to check everything was working.
    i didn't do use it at all for the next 3 years of ownership, until somebody came to look at + buy the car last week (again, to check it worked.....which it did, of course ;D).

if it is spectacularly hot, i take a bag with cold bottles of water inside it, and just drive in bikini top (though i also bring a thin tshirt with me for when i get out of the car).
    ....it is a nice bikini top.

ReputationRep:
    That depends entirely on how fast you're going, inner city driving where you rarely get above 30 mph it's more efficient to just have the windows open as the drag from having the windows open is negligible at low speeds. Fast motorway driving i.e. 70mph then air conditioning becomes slightly more efficient.

If you're going only 30 mph though, your car won't feel as cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    If you're going only 30 mph though, your car won't feel as cool.
    My defence your honour is that feeling cool is for people who can't handle the heat :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Considering my car doesn't have it then never but if it did I generally wouldn't use it unless is super hot and on the motorway other than that I'll just open the window because saves on fuel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    ..... as per above.

How often do you use the air conditioning especially during the summer months.
    Only when absolutely necessary or when travelling on motorway/A Road where it would make too much noise to open the windows.

ReputationRep:
    ALL THE TIME during the summer. it gets really ****ing hot where i live!

ReputationRep:
    If I had air-con - probably every day! My car just loves steaming up, and I absolutely hate hot cars.

ReputationRep:
    There's so much road/engine/gearbox/wind noise that even at 50mph there's almost no difference between windows up and windows fully down in the Mog :awesome: The heater doesn't know what cold air is, either. It spits out either luke warm or hot air, depending on what position you've managed to get the heat controller into. I need to remember to re-attach the fresh air intake behind the bumper at some point too - I undid it and pulled it up behind the radiator over the winter to give me almost instant hot air

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)

That answer the question?
    ill rase you one motorbike

ReputationRep:
    If you've got air con it's a good idea to run it for 10 minutes or so every week or two to circulate the oil in the refrigerant.

If you're in town a lot of the time your engine isn't under much load so you may as well use the air con - obviously it's your choice, but I doubt you'll see a difference in fuel consumption.

ReputationRep:
    Almost never, to be honest. If it's really hot and I'm driving on a dual carriageway/motorway then I will put it on, but that's about it. Otherwise I just open the window.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.