Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How often do you use the air conditioner while driving? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Almost never, to be honest. If it's really hot and I'm driving on a dual carriageway/motorway then I will put it on, but that's about it. Otherwise I just open the window.
    Don't tell me you've given up on sidevalve power?

Personally, I throw the webasto roof open every time I use the car - except when it's raining. Does that count?
    I did toy with fitting aircon to a previous BGT although, at 1.5k it seemed a bit of an expensive upgrade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)

:eek: Noo, never!

ReputationRep:
    I have climate control, so always. Car temperature stays at 21 degrees all the time and the air is filtered; it is also blown over the windows and windscreen ensuring they are perpetually clear.

Don't notice a fuel benefit worth giving up the comfort AC brings, considering I only get 28mpg anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    You should use air conditioning for a bit of time once a month to stop all the seals drying out - some cars cope well with this not happening but I still do it.

I use my A/C on occasion if it gets humid/damp/misted/roasting weather in traffic windows or on a fast road but often I just open the windows as it's just more pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)

Personally, I throw the webasto roof open every time I use the car - except when it's raining. Does that count?
    I did toy with fitting aircon to a previous BGT although, at 1.5k it seemed a bit of an expensive upgrade!
    Conditioned by the air

1.5k is that with an external blower unit or will the cold air be vented out through the existing vents?

ReputationRep:
    Driving with the windows down in summer with hayfever is a nightmare. AC is a godsend.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time actually! In the winter it was good because it demisted the windows, and made it seem less stuffy in the car when I had the heating on full blast. In the summer, I'm sure it'll be lovely to cool me down a bit - new car, haven't tested it in the summer yet.

And most of the time when I'm doing a long journey or in the evening I have it on because it makes me feel more alert having the air conditioned air on. I know it probably doesn't actually make a difference - but one time I had the air on recirculation by accident and it was horrible. Then I put it straight on the air conditioning and everything felt so much fresher

ReputationRep:
    My climate control gets set to 20°C and the air conditioning comes on and off as it pleases - I don't bother touching it really. Air conditioning is possibly the only 'luxury' feature of a car I couldn't live without - wouldn't consider any (non convertible) car without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Never, it's a waste of fuel. I just open the window instead.
    I agree. I dont use air conditioning because my car doesnt have it, but if it did i still wouldnt really use it.

ReputationRep:
    Not very much becuase it's got this weird smell when I turn it on... Window open or just plain fan for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrcog)
    Not very much becuase it's got this weird smell when I turn it on... Window open or just plain fan for me
    The smell is caused by bacteria...because you haven't been using the air-con enough! Cheap solution is to start the car, switch the air-con to maximum, ensure that the air recirculation mode is selected and then empty two cans of this through a slightly ajar window. Quickly close the window and leave car and air-con running for 15 minutes - bacteria dead, smell gone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Conditioned by the air

1.5k is that with an external blower unit or will the cold air be vented out through the existing vents?
    It replaces the existing smiths heater box in the engine bay, uses the existing vents and adds another two.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to also add that in my experience diesel cars don't seem to lose any MPG from using A/C - my parents agree with this too. Petrol engines can lose a fiar few MPG on some cars! :O

ReputationRep:
    As often as i need to though my old car had a sunroof which i do miss.

ReputationRep:

I have the A/C on when the top is not down, in the summer this is rare. In the winter, unless there is a hurricane, this is also rare.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.