Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanz_a93)
    thanks for that (Y)
    and what do each of the letters stand for?
    Background
    Aim
    Method
    Design ( if there is one)
    Sample & Sample Technique
    Procedure
    Findings
    Evaluation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessplease)
    What is an alternative method or improvement for reicher and haslam? this is like the worst study to understand and remember everything for
    here is an answer for you:

A problem with Reicher & Haslam's study is that it used a self-selected (volunteer) sample technique to obtain the sample.
    This is a problem because the sample that they obtained were all male volunteers and no female volunteers.
    I would change the sample technique by using a oppurtunity sample technique instead of a self-selected sample technique.
    This would be done by gathering up 10 female participants (pp's) and 10 male pp's.
    An advantage would be that the findings can now be generalised to females and males in prison, therefore making the findings more valid.
    However, a disadvantage would be that females may act differently wthin a prison than males as either prisoners or guards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akindrat18)
    here is an answer for you:

A problem with Reicher & Haslam's study is that it used a self-selected (volunteer) sample technique to obtain the sample.
    This is a problem because the sample that they obtained were all male volunteers and no female volunteers.
    I would change the sample technique by using a oppurtunity sample technique instead of a self-selected sample technique.
    This would be done by gathering up 10 female participants (pp's) and 10 male pp's.
    An advantage would be that the findings can now be generalised to females and males in prison, therefore making the findings more valid.
    However, a disadvantage would be that females may act differently wthin a prison than males as either prisoners or guards.
    thankyou! our teacher said something about how we've got to actually write out a proper procedure type thing like changing it to an observation or self report. Your way seems a lot easier though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessplease)
    thankyou! our teacher said something about how we've got to actually write out a proper procedure type thing like changing it to an observation or self report. Your way seems a lot easier though!
    Well i'm glad to be of some help to someone.

I was taught this from my psychology teacher in class and she told the class that anything can change in any study but the best examples are; changing the method, data, sample, sample technique, design and the data.

ReputationRep:
    My psych tutor gave a good way to remember the evaluations of studies:
    G-generalisability
    R-reliability
    A-application to the real world
    V-validity
    E-ethics
    If you know the method of the study this is really good at getting the AO2 marks

ReputationRep:
    If anyone could post some exempler material that would be really helpfull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akindrat18)
    My teacher gave me a good technique for getting full marks on part e and f for section B

Say what the problem is of the study
    Say why it's a problem
    Say what you would do to improve it
    Say how you would improve it
    Say a strength of the improvement
    Say a weakness of the improvement

Also i find it useful to do the B,A,M,D,S,P,F,E technique for each study
    So can you just talk about 1 problem and elaborate on it to get full marks? or do we need to mention more than 1 problem (if any) ?

ReputationRep:
    So can you just talk about 1 problem and elaborate on it to get full marks? or do we need to mention more than 1 problem (if any) ?
    You need to talk about 1 problem for part e and another problem for part f.

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher just keeps drumming it into us that for the 8-markers on changes that you need enough detail in your description for someone else to carry out the change, ie what sample size, how are you going to source it, how will you measure the IVs and DVs, what is the task, etc. just like the 10 markers on the PI exam but without the evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    Reicher & Haslam and Maguire are my two least favourite studies..brilliant! How would you improve Maguire's method? She only really compared brain scans of taxi drivers and non-taxi drivers, no ethics involved or demand characteristics or anything :nothing:

Any help please?

ReputationRep:
    Our class' suggestions were to pre-test prospective applicants to measure the effect that the taxi driver training has on the participants, this would show definite cause and effect to corroborate with the correlation in the original study, and you could compare the taxi drivers with other navigation-orientated proffessions like pilots, guides and sailors. Hope that helps I have notes for all 15 studies if you need them.

ReputationRep:
    If you can post any notes you have on improving the studies that would be great

ReputationRep:
    Its madness!!
    I mean how da heck am i going to memorise 15 core studies:eek:..
    anyone have a clue what core studies will come up on section B?
    Any tips for revision?
    Are you kidding? I would love to only know 15 studies! I knew roughly 80 for my a2 exam in Jan, and probably another 80 for my June

(granted I'm on a different exam board. How much detail do you need to know them in?)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/56637164/10-11-Changes-FINAL

Here's the powerpoint my teacher made with two changes for every study, hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    hi, can anybody tell me how long we should spend on each section of the exam?

ReputationRep:
    i think i'm just going to read through the book a couple of times, through my folder, and then go over my revision sheets - we have one sheet for each study which kind've marks out everything we need to know otherwise i just think some past papers are in order, and maybe a bit of holah.co.uk

(Original post by blush.ox)
    just wait till you get to A2

there are 72 studies
    *shoots himself*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccaa:))
    hi, can anybody tell me how long we should spend on each section of the exam?
    Since the paper is out of 120, it should be one mark a minute. So since section A is 60 marks, 60 minutes, section B is 36 marks, 36 minutes and section C is 24 marks, 24 minutes.
    Or something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kequi)
    Our class' suggestions were to pre-test prospective applicants to measure the effect that the taxi driver training has on the participants, this would show definite cause and effect to corroborate with the correlation in the original study, and you could compare the taxi drivers with other navigation-orientated proffessions like pilots, guides and sailors. Hope that helps I have notes for all 15 studies if you need them.
    Yes please, any notes would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    Yes please, any notes would be helpful
    I posted them above, well it's a link to them which I hope will work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kequi)
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/56637164/10-11-Changes-FINAL

Here's the powerpoint my teacher made with two changes for every study, hope it helps.
    :eek2:

I LOVE YOU

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.