Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are some probs and cons of this? I was thinking whether I should go to manchester metts but I think eventually I will get bored of the student life and so am considering living at home. I'm guessing I will 'miss out' on stuff, but is it that big of a deal?

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my friends stay at home and commute to uni. They don't seem to think of it as a big deal. I heard one of them say 'you're just paying to wash your own clothes and dishes'.

I have to say I'm on other end of the spectrum entirely. I'm moving to Manchester this September and I think I'll learn a hell of a lot more than my stay-at-home-mates. Things like organising time, managing financially, independent learning.

That said, I suppose these things are all also possible at home, but it's more difficult. Plus, many of my friends don't really go out much cos apart from a handful of their school mates, everyone else is at uni in another part of the country. You'll have to work harder for an active social life. But then again, you'll save money.

ReputationRep:
    I live in uni and think its much better , yes you do save money living at home but thats not what uni is about. I didn't think i would enjoy living away from home but now im enjoying it , not only do you make friends and go out but you also learn to live independantly and learn to grow up.

Also i know a few people who commute but they dont really go out much as people who live in . Although having said that other people i know who commute still go out alot , they just need to make more effort.

ReputationRep:
    I've done both. In my first year I lived on campus, in my second year I had a flat off-campus, and in my final year I started off living in my flat and now I've moved back home and commuted. There's positives and negatives to both, but I'm happier living at home definitely.

In my first year I think living at home would have been a bad thing though (for me, at least). I know it's cliched, but I think it is easy to miss out on the 'uni experience' if you commute from the start, although it's definitely possible, just more difficult. As long as you make the effort to get to know people, go out, join societies, etc etc etc it shouldn't be a huge issue. Obviously if you just turn up, go to lectures and then leave again straight away it's going to be different.

But I definitely prefer living at home and commuting. It gets a bit frustrating sometimes, especially after living away because you get used to doing what you want when you want, and you can't always do that at home! And tbh I don't really go to uni unless it's absolutely necessary anymore. But I'm happier with my friends at home, I prefer my sports club at home to the uni club, and I'm just generally happier personally.

If you're living at home, getting everything done for you (washing, cooking, cleaning) etc I think you'll miss out in the end because living away from home does make you learn to live independently. But you can still learn to live independently at home, so yeh. As long as you make the effort you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on your subject. I do history and I'm only in uni about 6 or 7 hours a week in big groups most of the time, so making course friends is difficult. All of my close uni friends live with me, it's like a community. I suggest you stay in uni accommodation, I couldn't cope with still living at home now, maybe it's just my need for independence.

ReputationRep:
    I love living away. I'm back home for the holidays and much as I love my family and my friends back here, it just reminds me that I prefer being away. I like the fact that, at uni, I don't have to tell anyone if I'm going out, I can be spontaneous, I can invite people back to my flat if I want, all things that are a lot more difficult when you're at home with your parents and siblings. The independence of uni living also teaches you a lot and makes you grow up a lot faster. But of course, it isn't for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Away. I like being independent and, you know, an adult.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Away, pro: no 8 hour round trips to uni.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.