Turn on thread page Beta

Monarchism and the Royal Wedding watch

ReputationRep:
    I get intensely annoyed at the ridiculous amount of media attention focused on a wedding of two people, who are only somewhat recognised through their bloodline. I consider myself to be a Republican and I'm generally against the idea of having a non-elected head of state. I don't know about how everyone feels on the topic of the Royal Wedding, but personally i think it'll be a right pain for the economy, and to be honest a monumental waste of time. Fair dues, get married and all, but why the bank holiday? It's a pain. I'd love to hear your views on the topic, because i'm sure it's not just me, but to be honest, down here in Devon, there's a lot of Royalist support. Anyone with me?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well the royal family brings in hundreds of millions each year.

But yeah all the media hype about the wedding is stupid and I am sick of it

ReputationRep:
    I might also add that, even if they do bring in millions every year, if we sold their assets the country would gain about £6.6bn. That's a tasty profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChipDeeks)
    I might also add that, even if they do bring in millions every year, if we sold their assets the country would gain about £6.6bn. That's a tasty profit.
    A tasty one-off profit. I don't much like having a royal family, but the persistent income from them is nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well the state owned buildings which we loan to the Widsors bring in hundreds of millions each year.

But yeah all the media hype about the wedding is stupid and I am sick of it
    FIFY!

ReputationRep:
    A one off profit, yes, but think of what that £6.6bn could do in the 66 years (If we say they bring in 100m a year) that we're waiting for that amount of money. Depends how it's used really, it's all hypothetical.

ReputationRep:
    Even if the monarchy was abolished most of their assets wouldn't be sold. They'd get to keep most of their residences, as many of these are private property and nothing to do with the Crown. The royal duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster are likewise the personal property of their dukes and, even if they were sold, all the profits would go to Prince Charles (who would then probably donate it all to charity). The Crown Jewels would stay on display in the Tower of London rather than being auctioned off. The Crown Estate is a statutory corporation and, while in theory the government could sell it off, there is little point as it gets all the profits already. So I suspect the actual amount gained would be far less than £6.6 bn.

ReputationRep:
    I get intensely annoyed at the ridiculous amount of media attention focused on a wedding of two people, who are only somewhat recognised through their bloodline.
    Nope, they'll have one of the most recognised jobs in the world eventually and be at the head of our country.

but why the bank holiday? It's a pain.
    Suck it up. Britain has less public holidays than most comparable European countries.

I think we should sell the assets of all left-wingers. If they don't like property, then we should release them from their ideological burden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Nope, they'll have one of the most recognised jobs in the world eventually and be at the head of our country.

... because of their bloodline...
    (Original post by L i b)
    Suck it up. Britain has less public holidays than most comparable European countries.
    Couldn't they have done it on May Day? I'm missing one of the last days in college before my A-Levels for this rubbish, a day that I could've bloody well done with, seeing as my Chemistry teacher has managed to still have 3 topics to cover!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeLatics)
    Couldn't they have done it on May Day? I'm missing one of the last days in college before my A-Levels for this rubbish, a day that I could've bloody well done with, seeing as my Chemistry teacher has managed to still have 3 topics to cover!
    May Day is a bank holiday.

Anyway, I'm sure one day less at school is really going to kill you! Anyway, there's nothing stopping your school from opening on a bank holiday - it's not legally prevented from it.

ReputationRep:
    kate middleton being on tv all day is something I have absolutely no problem with...

ReputationRep:
    Anither thread about the Royal Wedding, yes, that's exactly what we need, well done OP!

:rolleyes:

If you don't like it, stop talking about it...

ReputationRep:
    I think we need a bit of happiness in Britain what with all the bad stuff going on at the moment.

Oh, and the last time Great Britain was a republic, Christmas got cancelled. Bah humbug all of you republicans

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of people complaining about this. There isn't even that much media attention - unless your main source of information is E! news. :rolleyes:

Why don't you just be happy about having an optional day off and let everyone else enjoy the national holiday. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree OP. :yep:
    I still remain puzzled as to why we remain attached to this expensive and archaic relic of a bygone feudal social structure ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty indifferent towards the monarchy - taking a more pragmatic view of them - but I do think a wedding of such high profility, plus the extravagant nature of the day (horse and carriage along the mall and whitehall.....), makes for a wonderful occassion to behold. They're a young couple at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well the royal family brings in hundreds of millions each year.
    I'm not really explicitly for or against the monarchy, but the money argument is such a bad position to take. The value of our head of state shouldn't be measured in pounds. I'd much rather a responsible head of state who brings in nothing than a ****ty one that brings in millions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Completely agree OP. :yep:
    I still remain puzzled as to why we remain attached to this expensive and archaic relic of a bygone feudal social structure ...
    Because all the 'new' alternatives which have come up since (which are actually as old) aren't as good.

ReputationRep:
    I like the royal family. It's a nice thing to have. They don't have much power but it nice for them to be there. It brings a lot of tourism to the country. Although looking at the news and stuff it looks like some other countries are making a much bigger thing of the royal wedding than we are. I can't wait for the royal wedding and needless to say I will be watching it on telly with a glass of bucks fizz

ReputationRep:
    The tourism argument is so flawed its ridiculous :K: Do you really think tourists get to see the queen!?!?! Do you really think if we got rid of the royals then Buckingham Palace and Parliament would disappear or cease to be internationally famous!?!?!!?? Every year we each give the monarchy a few quid and over a lifetime that's money that could've gone towards lower taxes or better hospitals etc etc.
    Most importantly, they are so inept!!! The queen seems to be a lone bastion of dignity and proper conduct, with Charles being a magnet to controversy and not being able to see a future king having a mistress as an issue. You might be ok with them owning property that in France or the US is public, and taking taxes off us like parasites, but Im not. :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.