Turn on thread page Beta

I always though EDL was against Islam?!?! watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12374835

Thousands of supporters of the English Defence League (EDL) demonstrated in Luton on Saturday in a massive rally against "militant Islam".

Police kept them apart from a counter-demonstration by anti-racism campaigners.

The EDL's supporters included Abdul Salaam, a Glasgow man who says he is a Muslim and argues that more Muslims should take the same stand.

Community leaders in Luton condemned the EDL's demonstration and said the town had stood together against attempts to divide them.

I mean the EDL are demonstrating against Islam and the guy being interviewed is a muslim, what is he doing protesting against himself.
    :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well the EDL's stated aim is against extremist Islam. Which is no doubt why this man has joined them for. However the rank and file are generally racist and against Islam.

ReputationRep:
    There's a couple of EDL members who are Muslim. They obviously aren't bothered that while their 'mates' roll them out at every protest to prove how tolerant and accepting they are, when they go to the pub afterwards they're making paki jokes behind their backs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that guy's like Jesse Owens in the Nazi party, or Obama joining the KKK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    There's a couple of EDL members who are Muslim. They obviously aren't bothered that while their 'mates' roll them out at every protest to prove how tolerant and accepting they are, when they go to the pub afterwards they're making paki jokes behind their backs.
    I don't understand how you can, I mean there was a protest in my town last weekend and all they were doing were throwing racial insults even though it is supposedly against only Islam. Most probably like 90% of the members were pissed and were puking all over the place. I got punched in the face even though I wasn't part of the EDL march or the anti-EDL march I just needed to go into the bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)

Thousands of supporters of the English Defence League (EDL) demonstrated in Luton on Saturday in a massive rally against "militant Islam".

The EDL's supporters included Abdul Salaam, a Glasgow man who says he is a Muslim and argues that more Muslims should take the same stand.

Community leaders in Luton condemned the EDL's demonstration and said the town had stood together against attempts to divide them.

I mean the EDL are demonstrating against Islam and the guy being interviewed is a muslim, what is he doing protesting against himself.
    he's kinda got a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)

"they aren't racist they just support their country"

"extremists have dragged Islam through the mud, and I'm here to stand up against them for my religion".

Good man, the only muslim I've seen stand up against people killing others in the name of his religion, and supporting others doing the same, rather than criticising people for standing up and saying murder is wrong - I salute you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imzir)
    he's kinda got a good reason.
    Yeah, they say they are not racist and just against militant islam but why were they throwing racial insults left, right and centre on the weekend when they protested in my town.

ReputationRep:
    How can he be a Muslim if he has allegiance to 'St George's flag' or kissing the queen on the flag.Islam doesn't promote nationalism to this extent.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna stand up for my religion...by banning mosques!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pukhtun)
    I'm gonna stand up for my religion...by banning mosques!

(Original post by MoMatrix)
    How can he be a Muslim if he has allegiance to 'St George's flag' or kissing the queen on the flag.Islam doesn't promote nationalism to this extent.
    My thoughts exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Can't we all just get along in peace....

ReputationRep:
    On paper, what the EDL stand for is not actually bad. They want extremism out and thats good.

However:

- 'Off paper' they're just a bunch of Nazi prats who want all Muslims out of this country.

- They themselves are extremists and are very hypocritical in other areas.

- Their members consist of violent idiots, as proven in the numerous videos.

Ta Da!

ReputationRep:
    No, just all the muslamic ray guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    paki jokes
    Never heard of these, enlighten me.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so glad to see my hometown's made a great name for itself. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    It doesn't exactly not promote it. Many Pakistanis are very nationalistic and yet very muslim at the same time. It does say Islam should come first, and if it does, that's fine. A lot of Pakistani Muslims confuse culture and religion, so that's a factor too I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Against "Militant" islam, not against them all in general. muslims can be against militancy also, as it can take many forms, but too many are scared of the repurcussions in their segregated communities, and are blinded by their belief that they are right to the fact that extremism is wrong, no matter what the form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    [ the EDL are demonstrating against Islam and the guy being interviewed is a muslim, what is he doing protesting against himself.
    he's just infiltrating the EDL in order to, at the first opportunity, disintegrate them all with his Muslamic ray gun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    "they aren't racist they just support their country"

"extremists have dragged Islam through the mud, and I'm here to stand up against them for my religion".

Good man, the only muslim I've seen stand up against people killing others in the name of his religion, and supporting others doing the same, rather than criticising people for standing up and saying murder is wrong - I salute you.
    Being against militant Islam is just their cover, pretty much everyone who has seen an EDL demonstration knows that they have zero tolerance for Islam of any kind. And the Muslims in the EDL who do not understand this are absolute fools. I saw one of the protests in which they dragged out some Muslim Asian guy called 'Mohammed' who they all proceeded to declare their 'mate'. It was really quite sickening when you knew the only reason was to show that, really, despite everything, they're not raging fascists.

As for defending ones religion against extremists, I'm all for that, but jumping onto the EDL bandwagon isn't going to clear the mud of Islam - you would have to be even more stupid than the actual EDL members to believe that. It doesn't help that most of them have about as many brain cells as a rock either.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.