Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

im the only one in my old friend group that went to uni this year, the rest are on gap years/dropped out
    ive now come home for easter and im just so bored most of the time when with them, they still talk about MMORPG games and computers the whole time and are so set in their ways, which was exactly the same as they were when i left. unwilling to try new things
    since september they have kept the exact same routine which basically envolves going out most nights, hanging out in a playground smoking weed. nothing during the day as a couple have work most days and the others just sleep all day
    im at uni up north and live in the southwest so basically no mates from uni anywhere near me, ive lost contact with everyone i used to speak to from school, so back home its basically some really boring guys
    another issue is since ive been gone ive become a bit of an outsider to the group as theve all become pretty close whilst ive been away, and the fact i can't talk about games and stuff means im drifting even more

anyone else finding that since uni their old mates are pretty dull? any advice on what to do? only in contact with these guys down here and dont really wanna be alone all easter and summer

ReputationRep:
    Speak to them online whilst playing MMO's when you're away.
    Then when you come back, at least you can join in the conversation.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see why you care that much aren't you making new mates at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning to find my (large) friendship group rather dull, and I haven't even left sixth form yet.
    Get a job in the summer maybe? Then you have the chance to meet new people through work. I live in the southwest and there's always alot of bar/restaurant summer work.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Oh god yes. Some of my friends are just so benile.

I don't mean to be horrible. But they're ok in a group, but on their own they just have no substance. I mean I have one who has literally nothing but McFly, All Time Low and her job to talk about. She's obsessed. It get's so boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    im the only one in my old friend group that went to uni this year, the rest are on gap years/dropped out
    ive now come home for easter and im just so bored most of the time when with them, they still talk about MMORPG games and computers the whole time and are so set in their ways, which was exactly the same as they were when i left. unwilling to try new things
    since september they have kept the exact same routine which basically envolves going out most nights, hanging out in a playground smoking weed. nothing during the day as a couple have work most days and the others just sleep all day
    im at uni up north and live in the southwest so basically no mates from uni anywhere near me, ive lost contact with everyone i used to speak to from school, so back home its basically some really boring guys
    another issue is since ive been gone ive become a bit of an outsider to the group as theve all become pretty close whilst ive been away, and the fact i can't talk about games and stuff means im drifting even more

anyone else finding that since uni their old mates are pretty dull? any advice on what to do? only in contact with these guys down here and dont really wanna be alone all easter and summer
    Lol find new friends. From what I have seen, there aren't many instances where people go off to college and come back to see their old friends who are exactly the way they are; why wouldn't they be? Without being in a different environment or being exposed to different things, they aren't really going to change.

You can still be their friends but keep in mind that they just aren't going to up and become "interesting" by your standards.

I would suggest going out and making new friends... some that are somewhat college educated. On my end, the gap is becoming apparent between me and my friends who are attending a UNI like I compared to the ones staying back at home attending a community college.

ReputationRep:
    I've basically drifted away from my old friends altogether, hardly see them at all anymore, but it's fun on the rare times we do. :nopity:

Get uni friends to stay over with you? Or you'll have to try and get back in with your old friends, just grit your teeth and deal with it. :sadnod: Or make new friends.

ReputationRep:
    I think it happens to everyone, to some extent. You've had new experiences and met other people, and you've changed, even if you don't realise it yourself. Everyone does it.

It isn't the end of the world, you just need to start expanding your horizons at home.

ReputationRep:
    The same happened to me. I could see they were going nowhere in life so I just called it a day with them. I still see them hanging around by the local leisure centre and to me it just seems if they're trying so hard to stay as a teenager rather than grow up and face the real world.

I can't wait to go to university and meet people who are more mature and who I can actually have an intellectual conversation with. I know not everyone at university will be like that but its far more likely I'll see more grown up people!

Its kind of sad to be honest. You grow up with them, you hang around with them and during school, college you all talk of aspirations and what you want to do after college and then some of them just let it all go and end up nowhere.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.