Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Im so sorry you cant help me with the other 2 questions but maybe you know this one:

Where are needs stored?
    Are they stored in DNA? Any books or references I can read about this?

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by needs?

ReputationRep:
    Well.. yeah... hm... that is a good one.

Say humans have the need to... live. Where is that stored and in what format? I suppose in the brain...

but also a bacteria might want to live... could that be stored in DNA?

ReputationRep:
    What?

ReputationRep:
    >> What?

I think bacteria is considered to be alive while viruses dont.

I am just trying to find out if there is any study that discuss about where are needs stored.

If bacteria is alive then it must have some needs... or it does not?
    I thought the need to live might be one but if i am wrong then lets take another one...
    the need to eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igues)
    Well.. yeah... hm... that is a good one.

Say humans have the need to... live. Where is that stored and in what format? I suppose in the brain...

but also a bacteria might want to live... could that be stored in DNA?
    Don't be pratty about it, i wasn't joking. The need to be a **** on TSR may have different genetic influences, than say the need to eat.

And something that is genetic => can influence brain structure or the amount of neurotransmitters in the brain. Its not either genetic OR where in the brain, because genes take effect by affecting these things.

Look at the older parts of the brain, (towards the centre), such as the amygdala is associated with feelings and memories of pain and pleasure. I'm not hugely confident in this area so i can't really say much.

ALSO i think your confusing the psychological need with the ultimate purpose of surival.

Viruses, on a simple level, are abit of DNA. They don't "feel" that they have to replicate but they simply do (due to Darwinian laws).

The psychological need is different. We want sex and food (psychological needs), yet there is an ultimate need to replicate our genes which isn't conscious.

Our desires for sex and food and such are so basic and universal that they will be genetic, but that doesn't mean that different parts brain aren't responsible for this too (my first point). I hope this clears this up. What is it for, AS psychology?

ReputationRep:
    >> I hope this clears this up.
    Well... I didnt uderstood much but I will try again . thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Are you basically saying that needs are genetical but they are implemented by mechanisms in the brain?

I think this is what you are saying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igues)
    Are you basically saying that needs are genetical but they are implemented by mechanisms in the brain?

I think this is what you are saying...
    Yes they are genetic. How can something be genetic and not also be influenced by the brain in some way?? (don't worry i used to think about it the wrong way)

All genes do is make:
    genes =>proteins => bigger cells and things (such as brain structures) => produces behaviour

It cannot go:
    genes => magic => behaviour

genes cannot act alone.

Im pretty certain that genes will have a huge role in determining the biological (brain) mechanisms behind "needs". Older parts of the brain, which are in many species of animals, such as the limbic system and brain stem probably have something to do with this.

ReputationRep:
    I see.
    Well then I suppose this was my initial q ...
    are needs genetical?

and do they have a priority as Maslow says?

and do this priority is stored genetically?

any research on the source of needs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igues)
    Hi guys,

Im so sorry you cant help me with the other 2 questions but maybe you know this one:

Where are needs stored?

Thanks a lot!
    no idea what you mean, but google might know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igues)
    Hi guys,

Where are needs stored?

Thanks a lot!
    I don't think Maslow himself specified a place where needs were tbh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow'...archy_of_needs may give you some extra ideas.

Erm, but I would assume that yes, genes contain the information regarding how important each need is to each individual person, suggestion why people seem to be motivated by similar things to their parents (obviously it doesn't always pan out that way) but genes are in every cell in the body and brain which then in the long run after making loads of proteins and all that, genes control how each cell responds to stimuli etc (how much neurotransmitter is released or whatever) so the information in the gene is therefore shown in the behaviour (people place more importance in the need for one thing or another due to individual differences [as explained here] and because of different situations).

I don't think you will find articles about this exactly, you would have to bring different things together, some about genes and how info in genes is then expressed in behaviour, and then you will have to show that behaviour can show what kind of information is in the genes (due to their motivations and personality etc) and then go down the route of inferring that therefore genes contain the info about these needs. It's very messy though!

ReputationRep:
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the 'order of needs' guy in disguise..

OP, if you want an answer, you need to define what needs you are referring to.

E.g. physiological needs? The drive to reduce hunger/thirst? There are clear autonomic pathways which can influence behaviour. I can go into detail if you wish?

Psychological needs? A bit more complex and abstract. It's like asking where 'thoughts' are stored.

ReputationRep:
    Yes GodspeedGehenna its me.

but I am not disguised. Just thought to change my nick which I thought sounds bad. If I knew it is important to you I would have said so or at least send you a PM.

>> I don't think you will find articles about this exactly, you would have to bring different things together, some about genes and how info in genes is then expressed in behaviour, and then you will have to show that behaviour can show what kind of information is in the genes (due to their motivations and personality etc) and then go down the route of inferring that therefore genes contain the info about these needs. It's very messy though!
    Positive Rating!

Thanks HaNzY. So basically there is no research done in this field. Too bad... I have a slight doubt that needs and their order are stored in genes but I don’t want to start that again and as there is no research...

Anyway I want to use the next idea into a piece of work I am doing:
    New born have personality from the first moment and also personality is resistant to change

which might point to the fact that an initial personality exists without environment influence which gets then transformed by env.

From what I read, this is how things are but I would need to find a way to quote the 2 ideas from somewhere.

So anybody any idea at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igues)
    Yes GodspeedGehenna its me.
    I should be a detective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igues)

Thanks HaNzY. So basically there is no research done in this field. Too bad... I have a slight doubt that needs and their order are stored in genes but I don’t want to start that again and as there is no research...
    Their is research, just your being to broad with 'needs'. There may be genetic influences for seperate instincts and such.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.