Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I understand this will vary from college to college but I am intending to go on a one year Science Access Course studying Physics and Chemistry this September. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much this is going to cost and if I can get finance for it?

The college I intend to go to is Liverpool Community College if anyone has specific information.

ReputationRep:
    An Access course is equivalent to A-levels, so it is classed as further education and not higher education. You won't be eligible for student finance. Sorry.

Kind regards.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an access course in N Ireland and its a 1 yr full time one. The access course is free to all - no income assessment or anything like that - not sure if its free in the whole UK or if its a regional thing.

Regards grants, I got a "Further Education" grant which was £2092 (fixed amount) and to get it I had to apply to the local education board so give them a ring - and you need to do it before the end of May.

Also in the college you can apply to the college for the hardship fund. I got my whole years bus fares, books purchase paid along with a contribution towards my bills/mortgage, in total I got £1400 from that. Check out your colleges student finance pages for that.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have A-levels when I applied for my access course, and on that basis it would have been free (I didn't enrol in the end). If I'd had two or more A-levels (='full level 3 qualification') I'd've stopped being eligible - this was 2009, I don't know if it's changed since.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying an access course in biology and chemistry at liverpool community college. The current fees are just under £2000 however there is as said before a college hardship fund and many circumstances in which fees are waivered, you would need to see student services situated on roscoe street for further information.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.