Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I understand this will vary from college to college but I am intending to go on a one year Science Access Course studying Physics and Chemistry this September. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much this is going to cost and if I can get finance for it?

The college I intend to go to is Liverpool Community College if anyone has specific information.

ReputationRep:
    An Access course is equivalent to A-levels, so it is classed as further education and not higher education. You won't be eligible for student finance. Sorry.

Kind regards.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an access course in N Ireland and its a 1 yr full time one. The access course is free to all - no income assessment or anything like that - not sure if its free in the whole UK or if its a regional thing.

Regards grants, I got a "Further Education" grant which was £2092 (fixed amount) and to get it I had to apply to the local education board so give them a ring - and you need to do it before the end of May.

Also in the college you can apply to the college for the hardship fund. I got my whole years bus fares, books purchase paid along with a contribution towards my bills/mortgage, in total I got £1400 from that. Check out your colleges student finance pages for that.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have A-levels when I applied for my access course, and on that basis it would have been free (I didn't enrol in the end). If I'd had two or more A-levels (='full level 3 qualification') I'd've stopped being eligible - this was 2009, I don't know if it's changed since.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying an access course in biology and chemistry at liverpool community college. The current fees are just under £2000 however there is as said before a college hardship fund and many circumstances in which fees are waivered, you would need to see student services situated on roscoe street for further information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.