Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    hhmmmm, in what way are the structures of the 3 cayley tables different?
    Where have you got the number 3 from? Write out what you've done; I don't think me or DFranklin are following your reasoning at all here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Where have you got the number 3 from? Write out what you've done; I don't think me or DFranklin are following your reasoning at all here.
    hhhmmm, since a is the identity element the table will first be

abcd
    badc
    cdab
    dcba

abcd
    bcda
    cdab
    dabc

abcd
    bdac
    cadb
    dcba

This is the only "possibilities" I can think of?

ReputationRep:
    You sure that the first and third are isomorphic? I think it's 2nd and 3rd.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    hhhmmm, since a is the identity element the table will first be

abcd
    badc
    cdab
    dcba

abcd
    bcda
    cdab
    dabc

abcd
    bdac
    cadb
    dcba

This is the only "possibilities" I can think of?
    The second and third tables are both cyclic, so they're isomorphic; there are only two non-isomorphic groups of order 4.

(Original post by DFranklin)
    You sure that the first and third are isomorphic? I think it's 2nd and 3rd.
    After staring at it for more than 5 seconds I changed my mind :p:

ReputationRep:
    The second and third tables are both cyclic, so they're isomorphic; there are only two non-isomorphic groups of order 4.
    ahhh yes, that makes sense but am I correct in saying there are only 3 cayley tables possible?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    ahhh yes, that makes sense but am I correct in saying there are only 3 cayley tables possible?
    No; for example:

abcd
    badc
    cdba
    dcab

is another.

ReputationRep:
    No; for example:

abcd
    badc
    cdba
    dcab

is another.
    Oh yeah. So there are only 4 cayley table possibilties and you was saying there are only 2 non-isomorphic groups, I take it's 1 and 4?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Oh yeah. So there are only 4 cayley table possibilties and you was saying there are only 2 non-isomorphic groups, I take it's 1 and 4?
    Well 2,3,4 are all isomorphic, i.e. they all represent the same group, but with different elements labelled differently. [That's essentially all an isomorphism is: a relabelling.] So #1 and #2 (which is 'the same' as #3 and #4) are distinct groups. Or you could say #1 and #3 are distinct groups, or #1 and #4 are distinct groups... it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Well 2,3,4 are all isomorphic, i.e. they all represent the same group, but with different elements labelled differently. [That's essentially all an isomorphism is: a relabelling.] So #1 and #2 (which is 'the same' as #3 and #4) are distinct groups. Or you could say #1 and #3 are distinct groups, or #1 and #4 are distinct groups... it doesn't matter.
    That's why I thought all of them were isomorphic cause they all was the same but just relabelled which is why I don't understand why 1 isn't isomorphic? all I can think of is that the diagonal starting from the top left going to bottom right all consist of a where as for groups 2,3 and 4 they don't?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    That's why I thought all of them were isomorphic cause they all was the same but just relabelled which is why I don't understand why 1 isn't isomorphic? all I can think of is that the diagonal starting from the top left going to bottom right all consist of a where as for groups 2,3 and 4 they don't?
    In #2,3,4 you have one element which squares to the identity, and two elements which square to that element. That is, your group is of the form \{ e,x,x^2,x^3 \}, where x^2 is the element that squares to the identity and x,x^3 both square to x^2. Since you're forced to have a=e, it is left open to relabel x,x^2,x^3 as a,b,c. But since we could let y=x^3 and the group would be \{e,y^3,y^2,y\} = \{e,y,y^2,y^3 \} it makes no difference whether an element is x or x³, so the only element where the choice "matters" is x^2, hence three different-looking tables (if you put a,b,c,d in that order).

In #1 every element of your group squares to the identity, and so it's of the form \{ e, x, y, xy \}. But notice that you could let, say, p=x, q=xy, and then you'd have \{ e, p, pq, q \} = \{ e, p, q, pq \}, so nothing changes no matter what you call any of the elements, hence only one different-looking table (if you put a,b,c,d in that order).

ReputationRep:
    In #2,3,4 you have one element which squares to the identity, and two elements which square to that element. That is, your group is of the form \{ e,x,x^2,x^3 \}, where x^2 is the element that squares to the identity and x,x^3 both square to x^2. Since you're forced to have a=e, it is left open to relabel x,x^2,x^3 as a,b,c. But since we could let y=x^3 and the group would be \{e,y^3,y^2,y\} = \{e,y,y^2,y^3 \} it makes no difference whether an element is x or x³, so the only element where the choice "matters" is x^2, hence three different-looking tables (if you put a,b,c,d in that order).

In #1 every element of your group squares to the identity, and so it's of the form \{ e, x, y, xy \}. But notice that you could let, say, p=x, q=xy, and then you'd have \{ e, p, pq, q \} = \{ e, p, q, pq \}, so nothing changes no matter what you call any of the elements, hence only one different-looking table (if you put a,b,c,d in that order).
    Perfect explanation. I was hinting at that but couldn't explain it in a mathematical way which you just did. Thanks mate!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.