Turn on thread page Beta

a mum needs help! watch

ReputationRep:
    hi my son is quite bright. i have always noticed though that sometimes he gets fairly simple spellings jumbled up (which is not in keeping with the quality of his work), in fact i keep telling him his mind works faster than his hands!

i got a call from his school psychologist today ( his english teacher had recommended some tests and he had agreed to take them) and they are recommending that he gets 25% extra time for essay subjects, if he wants it.

I am not sure what this would imply and the immediate questions are

a) is it unusual for this to be picked up at this stage, he's always been very able academically( amongst top five in year group of 100 children)?

b)if he does decide to avail this extra time will it affect university applications to top unis? he has been predicted a and a* in most subjects

I am very confused as i like any parent I want him to have the right guidance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing he was diagnosed with dyslexia? Don't worry, it's very normal, and says nothing at all about his intelligence It's simply all about the way the mind works, rather than its ability.

A) I'm not sure of his age(?), but it's normal for it to be spotted at any stage in a child's development.

B) It certainly will not. My own university for example is eager to offer any academic help whatsoever (I have a lecturer who is famous for positing that 50% of all Arts students are dyslexic! He tried to tell me that I was too ...). Diagnoses such as these are completely ignored when considering applications.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your and informative words.

he is 16. about to take his gcse

the psychologist did not use the word dyslexia whilst on the phone (but he was in the room while she was talking to me, he told me when he got home) he thinks he will find it useful in eng language paper does'nt want it for anything else and like all teenagers has disappeared in his room!i do'nt want to make a big issue by discussing too much as i feel that might be counter productive

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome That's interesting, I genuinely can't think of anything else it could be :hmmmm: The jumbled-up words are an absolute textbook sign, and extra exam time is always the solution given. Your reservations are perfectly natural, I'm sure it's come as much a shock to him as to you, and - as all teenagers do - he'll come and see you when ready. Regarding help that you can give him, you sound like the perfect mother and I'm sure you're already doing everything necessary

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.