The Student Room Group

For Those Who Might Not Of Done Well In Jan/A-levels As a Whole

My Background

Some people might of not done as well as they expected this January or are not coping with A-levels very well therefore might see continuing onwards a bit of a lost cause. Just because you dont get A's and B's in exams Is not the end of the world.

This Is how my A-levels have panned out, hopefully some of you can take this in and realise that you are not stuckif you dont perform well at A-level and can still to go to a good university.

I go to a normal public school nothing special and my GCSE's were not amazing - enough to get me into sixth form. I was in a mixed ability class for maths mostly comprised of foundation borderline students, and top set science (Just).

I originally picked AS Physics, Maths, Geography, Business.

Maths/Physics I found very hard, the jump from GCSE was absolutely crazy and I quickly learn that the time I spent in the classroom at GCSE was useless and I had not covered any basic topics, I didnt know what a quadratic was, what lines were (like y=x) how to factorise ect and spent the first two months confused not understanding anything. Physics was just as bad and we were on a new syllabus to the teachers were learning at the same rate as the students were. Geography was not as bad considering I did not study it at GCSE I found this quite a nice break from my other subjects. Finally Business I did not get on with as it was long essay writing something I'm weak at and did not enjoy.

Ultimately I did very badly on my exams especially the January ones. The second term exams I did better on but still no way near enough to progress onto A2 and salvage a decent grade so I had a dilemma decided resit the year or drop out. Honestly I could of dropped out at any time but my parents persuaded me to stay on.

I found the lack of people in my year beneficial and allowed me to concentrate and understand my subjects. I rearranged what I was studying and did more A-levels over the 3 years but kept a manageable amount.

Now part way through my A2 year I'm coming on increasingly stronger at both subjects (maths and physics) though still not at a high grade like A, but that was not expected of me.

Now I have made my university choices with my grades looking to be CCDBc I have opted to go for a foundation year in engineering at Loughborough university which i would of never dreamed about before though I could of gone for the main degree at Nottingham Trent if I didnt want to do a foundation year, there are plenty of decent universities to pick from.

UPDATE: My Thoughts After Completing My A-levels

Having now completed my A-levels and my resit year I myself and my teachers agree that I have greatly benefited from it, maybe the extra time allowed me to be less overwhelmed by the change from GCSE to A-level. Towards the end of the year I was working at a very high standard in both maths and physics exceeding expectations in both subjects by pulling out very highly scoring mock papers. My quality of work and ability to answer challenging questions is so much stronger, this is purely down to pulling in lots of effort and time into these subjects.

JUNE 2011 RESULTS DAY UPDATE: Did It Pay Off?

Having worked really hard after christmas I managed to improve my physics enough to get a B grade in the last exam which is a really hard one and an A in a physics resit many good students got U's in the mocks in this. I even managed to get an A grade in one of my physics exams.
Overall I left with BCCCc having gone from UUU.

Having changed my course I will be studying Physics with a Foundation Year at the University of Loughborough. For some people this might not be much of an achievement. However, for me this is an absolute dream come true without even considering my past.

I may continue to write my experiences through the foundation year and on to the main degree in a blog if there is a small amount of request for it.

University Update 1:

Having got my first set of results for semester 1 I can say I am doing well. I got 95% in my physics labs which is impressive as I only managed an E in them at A-level. Chemistry Labs I got 95%/95%/80%/80%. My Engineering report scored 94%. So far I believe I am averaging 89-90% across 12 pieces of marked work, I have not received my exam results yet.

University Update 2:

My semester 2 results improve on the results I received in semester 1. I improved my physics labs and formal report and produced work worth 100% in both. My exam results averaged 89.5% across both semesters which puts me as the highest averaging student and possibly the highest ever result recorded on the foundation year.

Read This Before You Criticise My Choices:

Before I get shot down for
A) Doing a foundation year
B) Resitting a year
C) Not having A grades
D) Not going to a top 10 university

The point of this post was to emphasise that you dont need do well in your first set of exams to get where you want, if you put effort it you can get there it might just take a little longer.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great post ,well done for sticking with it !
Reply 2
I'm in a similar position to you. Failed my AS's last year, got DDUU in History, Business, Biology, PE - although I did have time out of 6th form due to an operation.
This year, resitting year 12 (history, sociology and media) predicted AAB. I found not really knowing many people in my year has helped me to concentrate better in lessons.
Going on to study History at Uni... hopefully :smile:
Original post by Residue of Spandex
Why not just get good grades then you're quids in either way? :s-smilie:

You could then choose out of ANY university?

I try :love:

But high grades in mocks dont always replicate into high grades in proper exams.
Reply 4
*Might not have done well.
That's really good advice and an inspiring post. Glad you got where you wanted to be :biggrin: You obviously deserve it.
*might not HAVE

..just sayin'
Original post by matt608
*Might not have done well.

Got a little kick out of that didn't you? :daydreaming:

Anyway, nice thread. :h: People can get over the top about doing amazingly at A Levels, it's not the be all and end all.
Reply 8
Nice one. Never give up.

Its not just you, many people have to repeat their AS year or A2 year. At least you learnt from your mistakes and moved on and made something of yourself.

There are a alot of people in my sixth form from last year repeating AS but some are doing worse then last year lol.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I try :love:

But high grades in mocks dont always replicate into high grades in proper exams.

You'd think you could flip that on it's head nicely, but low grades in mocks to tend to replicated into low grades in proper exams too :frown:
Original post by LifeIsGood
That's really good advice and an inspiring post. Glad you got where you wanted to be :biggrin: You obviously deserve it.

Thanks though it doesnt seem much of an achievement on a personal basis to me it is.
Reply 11
It's a nice story :smile: I'm repeating my AS year as I've pretty much spent the last few years of my education not giving enough effort and being in a weird system. Got DDU last year and now I'm predicted AAB for the coming exams, so I think it's a great idea especially if you have finally decided to really get your work done and study hard.
i do maths, physics and geography like you, i also didnt do geography at GCSE.
Got CCB in AS january. hopefully i will improve with just resits. i also want to do engineering.
looks like we have alot in common

you got into Loughborough, ranked 9 in the uk?
how?? with CCBD?? Beng or Meng?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Abused Tampon

you got into Loughborough, ranked 9 in the uk?
how?? with CCBD?? Beng or Meng?

Foundation degree.
It's far lower than 9th.
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Foundation degree.
It's far lower than 9th.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-league-table-2012

Ranked 9

do you automatically get accepted at the uni you do a foundation year at once you have finished?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Abused Tampon
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-league-table-2012

Ranked 9

do you automatically get accepted at the uni you do a foundation year at once you have finished?

No, no, no, no...no.
Reply 16
I wouldn't want to walk over a bridge constructed by an engineer who struggles with AS maths :/
Reply 17
Original post by mrengineer
I wouldn't want to walk over a bridge constructed by an engineer who struggles with AS maths :/

By your logic Professor Brian Cox is completely useless as well....

He may not be the greatest scientist but he's decent and he got a D at A level Maths.

Not everyone gets the grades first time round, I would rather have my bridge constructed by an engineer who never gives up and constantly seeks to improve himself and really wants to do his course than some half arrsed attempt by a student who was smart enough to do well but really doesn't care about the subject and predominantly the bridge which I will be walking over !
Reply 18
Original post by Phil1541

He may not be the greatest scientist but he's decent and he got a D at A level Maths.

Not everyone gets the grades first time round, I would rather have my bridge constructed by an engineer who never gives up and constantly seeks to improve himself and really wants to do his course than some half arrsed attempt by a student who was smart enough to do well but really doesn't care about the subject and predominantly the bridge which I will be walking over !

I don't think Brian Cox is a particularly good physicist that produces world class research, he simply raises the publics interest through his TV shows. Only really popular because he is a physicist that doesn't look like a nerd. Whether he is good at maths or not doesn't make a difference as to whether he is good at connecting with people through TV.

I don't get how your second point makes a difference...
Sure the engineer could try as hard as he can, but 1 crucial mistake in calculations that doesn't get seen, and boom, bridge collapses, you're in a river.

You need to have a good grasp of maths to become a good engineer.
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Phil1541

I don't think Brian Cox is a particularly good physicist that produces world class research, he simply raises the publics interest through his TV shows. Only really popular because he is a physicist that doesn't look like a nerd. Whether he is good at maths or not doesn't make a difference as to whether he is good at connecting with people through TV.

I don't get how your second point makes a difference...
Sure the engineer could try as hard as he can, but 1 crucial mistake in calculations that doesn't get seen, and boom, bridge collapses, you're in a river.

You need to have a good grasp of maths to become a good engineer.

bridges dont just get desinged by one person and then they start the building process staight away, everything is checked several time.

even if the engineer did make a mistake and no one noticed it at first, someone would when its being built.
+ the bridge wont just colapse as soon as you walk on it, it gets tested e.g. trucks and lorries are made to go over the bridge

Quick Reply

Latest