Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

For Those Who Might Not Of Done Well In Jan/A-levels As a Whole watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Amazing! Such a lovely thread, see too many A's on here nice to see more will power than natural intelligence.

I had a bad January Physics Exam at AS got a U =/
    But resat in June and got B in my resit and main exam! 20 ums off an A so a solid B.

I'm kind of glad I got the U though, it made me wake up and revise even more for June. Don't think I would have got the grades I did at AS without that punch in the face.

I wish you a lot of luck for University! -not that you will need it-
    You're totally inspirational!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onique)
    Amazing! Such a lovely thread, see too many A's on here nice to see more will power than natural intelligence.

I had a bad January Physics Exam at AS got a U =/
    But resat in June and got B in my resit and main exam! 20 ums off an A so a solid B.

I'm kind of glad I got the U though, it made me wake up and revise even more for June. Don't think I would have got the grades I did at AS without that punch in the face.

I wish you a lot of luck for University! -not that you will need it-
    You're totally inspirational!
    Thank you :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    Course so far seems okay, starting quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Course so far seems okay, starting quite easy.
    Hey dude, I'm applying for foundation year (Physics) having got CCDE at AS Levels. Do you think I stand a fair shot at getting in? Having looked at the unis that do foundation year they mostly cater for mature students or students who diddn't do the required subjects.

I have e-mailed a university about this and they said they welcome all applicants regardless. But i'm still not so sure. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The medjai)
    Hey dude, I'm applying for foundation year (Physics) having got CCDE at AS Levels. Do you think I stand a fair shot at getting in? Having looked at the unis that do foundation year they mostly cater for mature students or students who diddn't do the required subjects.

I have e-mailed a university about this and they said they welcome all applicants regardless. But i'm still not so sure. What do you think?
    Liverpool/Leicester/Sussex/Loughborough all accept people who have done the correct a-levels but not got the grades Around CCC/CDD.

Sheffield/Leeds/Nottingham want BBB.

I got offers from Liverpool/Loughborough and Sussex. Most of the people on my course (130 students) are around my age.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation. I got EEEU for my AS grades in; PE, Computing, Psychology and Business Studies. I had medical problems, so it didn't really help with anything :/.

But, I was forced to carry onto A2 by my parents and teachers. I actually regret doing so, when I know I could have resat the year taking; PE, Computing and Maths.

So now I'm in a **** position and applying to University for Sports Science/Studies applying to: Brunel, Brighton, St Mary's Twickenham, Wolverhampton, Hertfordshire (I haven't sent off my UCAS application yet, as my personal statement is incomplete) o.o and I'd really like to go to University, although I haven't started revision for my resits in January.

But, now that I've read this; it's given me slight hope of even getting an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm wondering if Brunel are strict with their entry requirements? I have the required GCSE results for psychology however my predicted A-level grades are CCC, do you think I have a chance at all on getting accepted?

ReputationRep:
    Email them, I wouldnt know, I have no interest in Brunel or psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Good post, I myself have just completed my A Levels after resitting A2 and I am currently loving my foundation year at UCLan!! Very inspirational.

ReputationRep:
    Email them, I wouldnt know, I have no interest in Brunel or psychology.
    How you finding the course so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamil1987)
    How you finding the course so far?
    Its okay, some things I do not like (Physics practicals) but I do love the chemistry department, I think they run things very well.

Work load can be quite high if you write all your notes up, and sometimes when you have lots of experimental write ups it can be annoying.

I'm enjoying it more now I am learning stuff, though it is very different to A-levels. Sometimes I feel like they restrict you in maths to doing things certain ways, if you dont do it the way they want it you are punished.

ReputationRep:
    Its okay, some things I do not like (Physics practicals) but I do love the chemistry department, I think they run things very well.

Work load can be quite high if you write all your notes up, and sometimes when you have lots of experimental write ups it can be annoying.

I'm enjoying it more now I am learning stuff, though it is very different to A-levels. Sometimes I feel like they restrict you in maths to doing things certain ways, if you dont do it the way they want it you are punished.
    Physics practicals, just make sure ur lab book is neat and u have a general idea of the experiment and you can easily get a very high mark.

Yeah I agree with you, Jaffar is a machine though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamil1987)
    Physics practicals, just make sure ur lab book is neat and u have a general idea of the experiment and you can easily get a very high mark.

Yeah I agree with you, Jaffar is a machine though!
    I love jaffar, one of my experiments was 30% oiy of the reecomended answr though

ReputationRep:

Good work with your A-Levels! I was expected to do brilliantly - that didn't work out and I was forced to resit a year when I didn't really have to. Absolutely hated it. Ended up doing the A-Levels anyway - looking at getting similar grades to yours. Probably worse.
    Incidentally, I intend on reading Physics as well! Do you have plans to go for a PhD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilium)
    Good work with your A-Levels! I was expected to do brilliantly - that didn't work out and I was forced to resit a year when I didn't really have to. Absolutely hated it. Ended up doing the A-Levels anyway - looking at getting similar grades to yours. Probably worse.
    Incidentally, I intend on reading Physics as well! Do you have plans to go for a PhD?
    Not sure yet, depends how much I enjoy it. I might change to Mech eng though.

ReputationRep:
    Well done and congratulations on your hard work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DROGB)
    Well done and congratulations on your hard work!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    A girl in my friend group at Notts is on an AAA-AAB course with DDD at BTEC, I always thing people who get UUU Or anything near at A Level should do BTEC, she got UUE at AS Levels and then did it.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting post. Somewhat mirrors my situation.
    Throughout school I was always someone who did little to no work then magically pulled good grades out of my exams. I couldn't have had a worse work ethic in my GCSEs and still I managed A*'s/A's and B's. I was warned many, many times that it wouldn't last forever, I always laughed at people saying that, but when I got to college I was in for a shock.

I chose Maths / Business / Computing / Graphics and I had the same attitude as ever towards them, fast forward to January results day of my AS year and I was looking at C's and D's whilst under threat of being kicked off my graphics course. I got forced into lunchtime work clubs and it was here I decided to really try for once. I finished my AS year with grades BBBC and dropped Graphics A2 in exchange for Further Maths AS. However, I got very ill during my A2 year and after a lot of back and forth, I was talked in to dropping out of college with the intention of rejoining the next year. But when September came around I was still ill and quite honestly had gone off the idea of going back.

So I took the decision to study what I could externally with nothing but textbooks and later in the year when my health was better I applied to UCAS. When it came to results day, I got an A in Business and a B in Maths (just 3 UMS from the A boundary!) but sadly missed my offer of AA. Roll on year 4, and here I am self-teaching Further Maths aiming for minimum a B and with offers from Russell Group universities that I feel I can quite comfortably achieve.

Sure I'm 2 years behind, but I don't regret it. I'm finally working at my maximum and getting back what I put in. And on top of that I realised during self-study that I really wanted to a degree in Maths - something I would never have thought before.

ReputationRep:
    Added an update about university.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.