This discussion is closed.
Kish
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
At the end of year nine i absolutely loved science, so i decided to take triple science as a GCSE option but now i dislike it soooo much because i find it really difficult. To top it off when i searched the net for help, i came to this page and it said only people who got a level 7 for their KS3 SATs' is ideal to do triple science but i got a level 5. Now im really worried that im going to get bad grades for this subject, my teachers are'nt very good at teaching, because they totally go off topic if you ask them a question. What shall i do? What can i do?
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kish)
At the end of year nine i absolutely loved science, so i decided to take triple science as a GCSE option but now i dislike it soooo much because i find it really difficult. To top it off when i searched the net for help, i came to this page and it said only people who got a level 7 for their KS3 SATs' is ideal to do triple science but i got a level 5. Now im really worried that im going to get bad grades for this subject, my teachers are'nt very good at teaching, because they totally go off topic if you ask them a question. What shall i do? What can i do?
I never got the chance to do triple science I find that reading revision guides and books really help, also if you have a text book read about whatever you have been taught or you could get a tutor but that woudl probably be pretty expensive...
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The only thing you can do is speak to your head of year about it. You may be able to switch to double award, but this would mean taking up another gcse quite far into the course, so it's unlikely that they will let you.

You only get 1 extra 30 minute paper on each when doing single sciences anyway, and they aren't that much harder..
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kish)
Hmmmm, I don't know really.

Separate sciences are best for people who are either good at science (and want 3 As or A*s to show it) or have one science weaker than the others and don't want it dragging them down.
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the extra content in triple science isn't hard to learn from what a recall. it's just the fact that the material to learn is more than if you do double science. in fact i found the triple science extension papers easier than the core papers.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by boygenious)
the extra content in triple science isn't hard to learn from what a recall. it's just the fact that the material to learn is more than if you do double science. in fact i found the triple science extension papers easier than the core papers.
I seem to remember the chemistry one being much harder than the core paper, but the others were of similar difficulty.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i found the CGP books really useful for my science GCSE's they had all the information condensed and in an easy to learn format also they were cheap (about 3 quid each)
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chris_)
The only thing you can do is speak to your head of year about it. You may be able to switch to double award, but this would mean taking up another gcse quite far into the course, so it's unlikely that they will let you.

You only get 1 extra 30 minute paper on each when doing single sciences anyway, and they aren't that much harder..
In year 10 for double science I took one paper worth 25% of my final grade - I think it was 1 and a half hours, but as far as I'm aware you don't do a single science exam in Year 10 that counts towards the final grade so really there isn't any difference in the exam times, is there? Or I may be wrong, which I probably am...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (543)
66.54%
No (273)
33.46%

Watched Threads