Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to explain self harm scars to friends watch

ReputationRep:
    "I used to self harm when I was younger, I don't really want to talk about it ok?"

Only a total ********/complete weirdo would push for more details, in which case feel free to kick them in the nuts/punch them in the boob.

ReputationRep:
    tell them you were tortured by Jack Bauer ad you survived! that would be pretty funny and will put them off asking you again. If they do ask you again say that you were attacked by a dog

ReputationRep:
    If you're recovered now just tell them that you used to self harm but say you're doing ok at the moment. That should hopefully discourage people from making a fuss.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't have to explain yourself.

If I were you I wouldn't try to cover it up - they are probably not as obvious as you think.

If someone comments on them then you can make it up, but the best policy is honesty - 'I went through a bit of a bad time when I was younger, its over now, but some scars take longer to heal'.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm only you know your friends best.

If you feel you can say you used to self harm but it is part of your past and feel they would be happy with that then thats fine.

Personally, my friends are too socially awkward/not mature enough not to get "freaked" out by saying something like that, so I would kept shtum around them.

The scars are probably a lot more noticeable for yourself then other people. I wouldn't make up some rubbish lie that they aren't going to believe, but just not say anything, at all. Generally people that know its self harm marks know becuase they have been there themselves, so probably wouldn't want to put you in a situation that would make you feel uncomfortable.

Those that wouldn't know it was self harm marks would probably ask you what they where, in which case a simple, I really don't want to talk about it, should suffice.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you used to have a sick cat. If they've ever tried to force pills down a cat they will understand.

ReputationRep:
    I just say that I got really pissed and tattooed myself without ink and with a kitchen knife.

Because that's what genuinely happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    You shouldn't have to explain yourself.

If I were you I wouldn't try to cover it up - they are probably not as obvious as you think.

If someone comments on them then you can make it up, but the best policy is honesty - 'I went through a bit of a bad time when I was younger, its over now, but some scars take longer to heal'.
    This was exactly what I was thinking. If you don't want to attract attention to it just divert it. We all have bad times, unfortunately some of us are more self -destructive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    This was exactly what I was thinking. If you don't want to attract attention to it just divert it. We all have bad times, unfortunately some of us are more self -destructive.
    Stop listening to MCR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel9)
    Stop listening to MCR
    URGH. I never did. I was at a Muse/Biffy gig and MCR funnily enough were an act before those both. The lead singer proclaimed that their fans should not slit their wrists.

Although a serious problem, his speech made me LOL.

ReputationRep:
    i just say 'i used to do it to myself'.
    they're just scars, everybody has things in their past they'd rather not talk about. tbh, usually as soon as i say that most people are just like 'oh.' and leave it at that.
    people generally don't ask though, i've realised you think people are looking at them a lot more than they actually are.
    if you don't make a big deal about it, they probably wont either.

ReputationRep:
    URGH. I never did. I was at a Muse/Biffy gig and MCR funnily enough were an act before those both. The lead singer proclaimed that their fans should not slit their wrists.

Although a serious problem, his speech made me LOL.
    I suppose he was compelled to make that speech after the tragic suicide of Hannah Bond.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they won't ask? There are some friends I wouldn't ask because I know it'd make them feel really uncomfortable.
    But if they do, just saying something offhand like "I don't want to talk about it" or "It doesn't matter" might make them shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel9)
    I suppose he was compelled to make that speech after the tragic suicide of Hannah Bond.
    Ouch, just looked her case up online.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, just looked her case up online.
    Yes, it was very sad.

ReputationRep:
    i no what you mean my bff is old fashion she would not nderstand just say its for simplify

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aneything)
    i no what you mean my bff is old fashion she would not nderstand just say its for simplify
    Thread is 6 years old...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.