Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lets set Land Rovers record straight here watch

ReputationRep:
    I do 13,000 miles a year in a series let alone a defender!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    ARRrRRRgH! I am ****ing sick Of people not READING threads and posting only on
    The title. Yes mother_eve I'm talking to you. The sole point of this thread is that land rovers do not have status! They are classless but yes they are expensive to buy even an old one but that's not the point.

READ a the opening post and don't comment from the title!
    Sure I get that you're talking to me.

However you can't expect to post a statement about something and everybody just take it as it is.

I don't agree with your statement, therefore I posted my response.

I don't agree with you that Land Rovers don't have status - they do, due to cost and the fact that certain types of people now buy them for things other than necessity.

But its your opinion that they don't, hence why you posted in the first place, so fine. Just don't expect people to suddenly change their minds just because you wrote a statement saying how they aren't based on status.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm just so used to people not listening to me here, at work, at uni. I've posted insurance advice and no one has listened. It gets annoying. Didnt mean to snap.

But take my land rover,no headrests, no carpet, no radio, no door cards, optional extras include: hazard lights, 2 speed fan heater and sculpted vinyl seats. No fifth
    Gear hardly a status symbol! Just a labour of love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    Jealousy? No not at all actually! I have no need for a 4x4, and I'm perfectly happy with my 20 year old Golf

It may be none of my business what they spend their money on, however having 4x4s when you are living in a city and DON'T need it annoys me.

Firstly, they emit more than smaller cars.

Secondly, they take up more space and are generally more awkward.

Thirdly - you live in a ruddy CITY! Its not like you're going to be scaling mountains and going down dirty tracks on insane slopes. You are driving along a road that is fully tarmacked and taken care of. Its simply ridiculous!
    1. My familys defender is narrower than a ford focus and about the same length as the focus so hardly more awkward

2. My dad drives the defender into the city everyday, not because he thinks he'll be scaling mountains but because we use it to tow a caravan and go greenlaneing and we cannot afford to have 2 cars, one of which is just a city runabout.

3. You're attacking land rovers for being ridiculous in an urban environment but they are designed to work anywhere, even a top spec range rover will perform admirably off road, whereas cars like the Nissan QuasQuai bill themselves as urbanproof so surely these are the innapropraite 4wd cars to buy as they do not have the functionality of a landrover or the eco credentials of a fiat 500

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duck6)
    1. My familys defender is narrower than a ford focus and about the same length as the focus so hardly more awkward

2. My dad drives the defender into the city everyday, not because he thinks he'll be scaling mountains but because we use it to tow a caravan and go greenlaneing and we cannot afford to have 2 cars, one of which is just a city runabout.

3. You're attacking land rovers for being ridiculous in an urban environment but they are designed to work anywhere, even a top spec range rover will perform admirably off road, whereas cars like the Nissan QuasQuai bill themselves as urbanproof so surely these are the innapropraite 4wd cars to buy as they do not have the functionality of a landrover or the eco credentials of a fiat 500
    I'm sorry, I'm not stating that people should have two cars. If you have a defender and use it for towing and greenlaneing, then it means you have a use for it. It is a necessity as you use it for things other than driving around a city.

I am getting at the people who have a Land Rover simply to drive around a city. Who do not use it for anything else than as a simply getaround car, ie no towing, no greenlaneing, no off roading, no farmwork etc.

If you have a reason to have a 4W drive, then obviously I'm not going to say you have to have two cars, as that would be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Well youve made two threads about it? Surely even your bored of it now?

ReputationRep:
    if you are talking about a defender then yes you are right

however if you are refering to the new discoverys etc they are not an "everymans" car. They are a luxury type of 4x4 and are all people with money that drive them

i live in the borders so there is no shortage of 4x4

land owner and rich types have new discoveries, range rovers, xc40s etc lower down people have suzuki jimneys, defenders, vitaras etc

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if mothereve doesnt see the point in any car that can do over 70mph??

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.