Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys ,

I applied to med school this year , with grades AABB , but got 4 rejections

After christmas results , i managed to improve my predicted grades to 4 A's

thing is im a resit applicant myself as i had some unfortunately timed illnesses so ive already taken a gap year to improve my results to a higher level which should be possible

My work experience was gd enough to get me two interviews , and i got a pretty decent ukcat score this time round , average 66

i have an offer from bristol for pathology and microbiology which is ABB

i reli want to do medicine so what should i do next if i do get the AAAA in the summer

would it be worth me doing another gap year to improve my work experience and improve my application and re apply next year , or should i take the offer from bristol and go for post grad entry

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyD27)
    ...and i got a pretty decent ukcat score this time round , average 66
    Personally I'd try and improve that UKCAT score. Possibly by another 600 points or so

ReputationRep:
    Lol yh sorry miss type , i meant 660
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You've had two interviews but still received rejections - what do you feel went wrong in them? Getting to the interview stage at a university (bar SGUL) means you're doing something right at the pre-interview stage, so right now you just need to analyse what the problems were post-interview, i.e. your performance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys ,

I applied to med school this year , with grades AABB , but got 4 rejections

After christmas results , i managed to improve my predicted grades to 4 A's

thing is im a resit applicant myself as i had some unfortunately timed illnesses so ive already taken a gap year to improve my results to a higher level which should be possible

My work experience was gd enough to get me two interviews , and i got a pretty decent ukcat score this time round , average 66

i have an offer from bristol for pathology and microbiology which is ABB

i reli want to do medicine so what should i do next if i do get the AAAA in the summer

would it be worth me doing another gap year to improve my work experience and improve my application and re apply next year , or should i take the offer from bristol and go for post grad entry

Cheers
    Hey there. I went for the grad entry option (for dentistry) and a lot of my friends have gone for medicine. In my experience, the grad entry thing isn't a great option. Competition at this level is far worse than coming straight out of school, and you are by no means guaranteed a place. My 3 housemates all applied and were rejected w/o iv for all 4 choices.

Also, unless you have a spare 30 grand lying around the expense is going to be huge. Grads have to fund themselves for tuition fees and god knows how much the fees will have gone up by then.

By taking a gap year, you'll be able to get more work experience and associated activities that will strengthen your application and help you in next years application cycle.

Good luck, if you need any help feel free to PM me (I applied to medicine first time round and know A LOT about admissions) =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)

Also, unless you have a spare 30 grand lying around the expense is going to be huge. Grads have to fund themselves for tuition fees and god knows how much the fees will have gone up by then.
    See thing is the government wont have been able to put the uni fees up again by the time i finished my post grad course unless they try to put them up again straight away and for medicine the nhs will pay student fees for years 2 3 and 4 (atm that is of course that might change )

but i wanna be an army medic and the extra money from them if i go through their bursary route would mean that post grad is a realistic probability, its just the time difference and chances of gettin in at post grad that im worried about reli

ReputationRep:
    Like Ayshizzle said.

Take the gap year.

It'll save you a lot of hassle. Trust us.

ReputationRep:
    See thing is the government wont have been able to put the uni fees up again by the time i finished my post grad course unless they try to put them up again straight away and for medicine the nhs will pay student fees for years 2 3 and 4 (atm that is of course that might change )

but i wanna be an army medic and the extra money from them if i go through their bursary route would mean that post grad is a realistic probability, its just the time difference and chances of gettin in at post grad that im worried about reli
    This is assuming you can get a place on a post- grad course. 3 people out of about 40 applicants from my year have got a place this year, but on the 5- year course.

Having a degree doesn't confer any advantage as there are so many grad applicants, a lot of them with some scarily fantastic applications (not that i'm saying you wouldn't be one of them). But having been through the application cycle as a grad and seeing how much more difficult it is... I wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Im sorry to hear that
    I found this blog : youngwannabedoctor.blogspot.com useful
    Post on all rejections are re-applying
    good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Hey there. I went for the grad entry option (for dentistry) and a lot of my friends have gone for medicine. In my experience, the grad entry thing isn't a great option. Competition at this level is far worse than coming straight out of school, and you are by no means guaranteed a place. My 3 housemates all applied and were rejected w/o iv for all 4 choices.

By taking a gap year, you'll be able to get more work experience and associated activities that will strengthen your application and help you in next years application cycle.

Good luck, if you need any help feel free to PM me (I applied to medicine first time round and know A LOT about admissions) =)
    Word. Good post. I pretty much agree with everything in this.

Getting in is hard. Time difference doesn't really matter- I'm applying at 21, that's not far off 18 at all. Though you have to consider if you're really going to excel at a course when you don't want to be there. This thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1594117
    might be a useful resource to read... least til it descends into name calling and Gwen Stefani references. But yes, in short....
    Don't do Graduate Entry, unless you really, properly have no other choice (now we just need that in rainbow, flashing at the top of the forum)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckasaurus)

Getting in is hard. Time difference doesn't really matter- I'm applying at 21, that's not far off 18 at all. Though you have to consider if you're really going to excel at a course when you don't want to be there. This thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1594117
    might be a useful resource to read... least til it descends into name calling and Gwen Stefani references. But yes, in short....
    Don't do Graduate Entry, unless you really, properly have no other choice (now we just need that in rainbow, flashing at the top of the forum)
    That thread is SO funny!

But yes, like everyone said, don't go for grad entry.

I might make a thread in both the medicine and dentistry forums about it, and try and get it "stickied"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckasaurus)
    Word. Good post. I pretty much agree with everything in this.

There's nothing wrong with a Gwen Stefani reference. No Doubt about that. :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys thanks for the advice , Now ive just got to persuade my mum to let me stay at home for another year , and put the hard work in to make sure i get the 4 A grades , thanks

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys thanks for the advice , Now ive just got to persuade my mum to let me stay at home for another year , and put the hard work in to make sure i get the 4 A grades , thanks
    6 months doing HCAing and applying, then **** off to Goa or Thailand until interview season. Will be a great year!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.