Turn on thread page Beta

Do you really need a desktop/laptop for uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have my eyes set on a MacBook Pro but I'm coming up about £400 short (w/ student discount) and was wondering whether I could get away with not having a machine in my room for the first year and then buy it in time for second year.

I already have an iPad and also have internet on my phone so checking emails etc. won't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    If your uni has computers you can use then yeah you'll be fine not having one in your room.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just get a pc? much cheaper than anything bearing an apple logo...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Why not just get a pc? much cheaper than anything bearing an apple logo...
    I need the portability of a laptop. My mum would go mental if I didn't come home at least once a month and also I don't do gaming anymore which was the strongest argument I had for a desktop. I actually had a Mac for a few years but it broke last month -.- but for the time I had it, it never caused me a single problem and I played games on that computer for hours every day.

I also had an Acer laptop which I bought for £400 and it practically stopped working after a year and I was having problems with it the month I got it. I know for a fact that a MacBook Pro would last me years and if it does break I can just call Apple and have it repaired in a week with AppleCare.

I used to hate Apple but am turning into a fanboy now.

ReputationRep:
    I am also having this problem lol

ReputationRep:
    I would say to try and sell the iPad to someone and then go and get a Macbook. I had the iPad and sold it because it couldn't do everything I wanted a tablet to do..but mostly because I just didn't need it.

I have a macbook now and love the damn thing... my opinion is to sell the iPad and use the money to get a Macbook Pro.

ReputationRep:
    An iPad is most certainly not a replacement to an actual computer, something you'll cone to realise when uni gives you any kind of extended writing task. Likewise relying on trying to live off using uni computers isn't going to be practical, it can be highly difficult to get access to computer facilities outside of allocated time in class. I'd highly recommend buying a decent Windows machine rather than trying to survive until you can afford a Mac, it sounds like it's going to be a big enough drain on your finances anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I bought an iPad when I already had an iMac and an Acer laptop so I never intended it to replace a computer. For the people telling mt to sell it, iPad 2 came out recently and I got the first one, which is 64gb, for £500+ when it came out and so inevitebly it has a few scratches now so I really doubt I can get much for it.

I also love my iPad... as far as browsing goes it had replaced my computer.

The only options I have tbh are to either get a Windows laptop or wait a year to get MacBook Pro.

ReputationRep:
    I would go with the Windows Laptop. Read a few external reviews, customer reviews and complaints as well so you know what you're getting into. (Try not to use the review they link you from the purchasing page itself, of course that one will be relatively good )

ReputationRep:
    I'd do as suggested above - sell the Ipad and get the Macbook instead.

ReputationRep:
    Get a Dell notebook instead? They're small, so very portable, and it only takes a couple of hours to become accustomed to the slightly smaller keyboard.

Much cheaper than a Mac, although if you require a disc drive you'll need to buy an external one which can be plugged in through the USB port (which is what I do when I want to add CDs to iTunes )

ReputationRep:
    What course are you doing? If you doing anything humanities related you'll have a lot of essays to do which need to be word-counted and uploaded electronically which of course will need to be written on a computer. Whilst you can use the university computers you'll probably get tired of having to trek there whenever you have an essay and then there's the problem of limited availability.

you could always get a notebook or something, even a refurbished one to cut down on costs, just to last you though your first year and then save up in time for the second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    What course are you doing? If you doing anything humanities related you'll have a lot of essays to do which need to be word-counted and uploaded electronically which of course will need to be written on a computer. Whilst you can use the university computers you'll probably get tired of having to trek there whenever you have an essay and then there's the problem of limited availability.

you could always get a notebook or something, even a refurbished one to cut down on costs, just to last you though your first year and then save up in time for the second year.
    International Business and Management.

I'll see if I can find a cheap refurbished netbook to last me a year.

ReputationRep:
    MacBook Pros are incredibly expensive. Unless you are a heavy computer user (sounds like you aren't if you are considering having no computer) then there is no point spending this kind of money on it.

As others say, get a cheaper laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanting to chime in... remember that this is a computer; and you're going to want it to last a very long time. When you're making the purchase, don't just look at the price but also the reliability of it as well.

That's one plus that Macs have... even though they're expensive, they last... and they last a long time. People are always talking about how their macbooks last them for years without them breaking or slowing down due to viruses and spyware and they're right.

Initially, yes Macs cost more than the average PC. However if you start to match specs they slightly even out. Even then,you're paying for the OS, the reliability, the comfort knowing you won't get any viruses, and the customer service you get with apple if you do have any problems.

A lot of people look at the initial price without factoring in the frustration or troubles you're going to most likely get with PCs. Sure you can post and say that you have never had any problems, maybe you're in the low percentage.

Having amazing battery life on top of all of that is a plus too, especially for a college student.

ReputationRep:
    get a notebook, they cost like £200 and it will help you with uni work

ReputationRep:
    I personally couldn't live without my laptop at uni. It keeps me sane!

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend getting a MacBook Pro for uni. I love mine, had no problems so far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    I have my eyes set on a MacBook Pro but I'm coming up about £400 short (w/ student discount) and was wondering whether I could get away with not having a machine in my room for the first year and then buy it in time for second year.

I already have an iPad and also have internet on my phone so checking emails etc. won't be a problem.
    Hmm. According to an article i JUST found, iPad Price: £399.

Source: The Guardian

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)

I would get a pc/laptop to keep in your room because of the convenience. You can't guarentee that there will be available pcs at uni and if you want to work on an essay at night, you have to head into uni.

You might be able to get away with it for a month or two but I would try and get your own by Christmas.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.