Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You can try and live without having a computer, and get by using the provided ones for, but good luck writing that long essay on your touchscreen when there aren't any computers available. I say forget about throwing away all your money on a logo, and buy a pretty high end Windows laptop. Apple aren't the only computer company who offer warranty deals.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't live without a computer.

Get a windows machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    I would get a pc/laptop to keep in your room because of the convenience. You can't guarentee that there will be available pcs at uni and if you want to work on an essay at night, you have to head into uni.

You might be able to get away with it for a month or two but I would try and get your own by Christmas.
    This is so true. I would be absolutely buggered without a laptop, where I am the library is always pretty much full, even at this time I'd struggle to get a computer if I needed one. Also, you'll get sick and tired of not being able to do what you want e.g. slobbing around in your PJs writing essays etc.

OP, if you want a MacBook so badly, could you borrow some money off your parents? I know there's a good chance they won't just have £400 lying around, but it's just a thought

ReputationRep:
    You really do need a computer/laptop for uni. I'm currently in my first year and I can guarantee it'll be the most valuable thing you've taken. Yeah the uni has computers you can use (they should be 24 hour) and I've used them (and I have a laptop). You need it for the following reasons:

1. The chances your room will have wifi is slim to none, iPad therefore rendered useless and your bills will sky rocket if you keep using the internet

2.1 The amount of work you will have is, whilst not an extra-ordinate amount, is enough to make going over to the IT suite irritating

2.2 You don't know if you'll be living anywhere near the IT facilities some uni's have halls nowhere near the campus and facilities aren't available in all halls.

3. You will end up doing any actual work e.g. the writing of your essay's and presentations the night before. Also there's a lot of research that needs to be done, a huge part of learning is not lecture based and during the first year your social life is more important and google books will be a saviour.

4. Amazon/Play.com are god but apart from that a lot of student events need you to buy a ticket online, if you want to enter your computer details in to a public computer in the middle of the library or whatever then go for it.

5. Surfing the web. Everybody does it but uni facilities restrict personal use during busy periods

6. iplayer is cheaper than a TV licence. fact. iplayer/ itv net player/ 4oD all free and don't require a tv licence, whereas if you have a telly in your room and can't prove you only use it for dvd's or gaming then you'll get a fine

take it from me, in theory there is no reason why you would need to take a laptop or desk top to uni, but in reality you really do need one. Apple is expensive and Acer (although I've got an Acer laptop had it for over a year and it works fine) is not your only option. A cheap netbook will be fine, or don't go for a new mac get an earlier model or a second hand one and you should be fine. don't be an idiot and take one with you (and a printer a person with a printer is god in halls uni charges you per sheet for printing)

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: I didn't know anyone could survive a whole year of uni without some sort of computation device.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kareir)
    Hmm. According to an article i JUST found, iPad Price: £399.

Source: The Guardian

_Kar.
    That's the iPad 2 price. I have the first one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    An iPad is most certainly not a replacement to an actual computer, something you'll cone to realise when uni gives you any kind of extended writing task. Likewise relying on trying to live off using uni computers isn't going to be practical, it can be highly difficult to get access to computer facilities outside of allocated time in class. I'd highly recommend buying a decent Windows machine rather than trying to survive until you can afford a Mac, it sounds like it's going to be a big enough drain on your finances anyway.
    This.

You have to get to the library pretty early at my University if you want a computer - it's always so busy!

If I didn't have my laptop I'd be stuffed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Likewise relying on trying to live off using uni computers isn't going to be practical, it can be highly difficult to get access to computer facilities outside of allocated time in class.
    This.

(Original post by Baula)
    I would get a pc/laptop to keep in your room because of the convenience. You can't guarentee that there will be available pcs at uni and if you want to work on an essay at night, you have to head into uni.

You might be able to get away with it for a month or two but I would try and get your own by Christmas.
    And this.

(Original post by megangray92)
    whereas if you have a telly in your room and can't prove you only use it for dvd's or gaming then you'll get a fine
    Sigh. So wrong.
    You don't need to prove anything. It is TVL who need to prove that it is used for live TV.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I couldn't live without a computer.

Get a windows machine.
    because windows is the only other option

ReputationRep:
    IMO it's practical to use uni computers for your assignments - but you have to be more disciplined and organised than you would with your own PC to get the same grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curtis871)
    because windows is the only other option
    The thing is, and I know Mac fanboys and Linux geeks will explode with fury...

Windows is the most common and best supported OS. Almost everyone, everywhere, uses Windows. Why complicate life with a Mac that many programmes don't run on?

It says something that people feel it necessary to have a 'Virtual PC' on a Mac. I've never seen a 'Virtual Mac' on a PC though...

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen a 'Virtual Mac' on a PC though...
    No, you just see Hackintosh

Also for the OP, having your own machine is best
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

Windows is the most common and best supported OS. Almost everyone, everywhere, uses Windows. Why complicate life with a Mac that many programmes don't run on?

It says something that people feel it necessary to have a 'Virtual PC' on a Mac. I've never seen a 'Virtual Mac' on a PC though...
    I can honestly say I've had far less problems on this Linux distro than on any Windows machine I've ever used but saying that for all basic tasks I'd say that most up to date operating systems are roughly equal. The reason I bought Linux up is because there are cheaper Linux machines available if you look for them (I once had a friend who bought a Laptop 2nd hand without testing it and when he found out it never had an operating system was going to take it to the tip)

ReputationRep:
    I'd say in general it would be hard to get by without a computer, you'd end up working in the 'computer room' or library in your department quite a lot and getting frustrated by the missing pieces of software you could just install on your own laptop. Also, some unis don't let you have 24-hour access to the computers, certainly departments seem to shut before midnight for sure which isn't great if your essay deadline is the next day.

But you don't need a top-notch laptop, some of my friends have laptops they bought at school and we are now in the 4th year...so a Macbook Pro is anything but essential.

ReputationRep:
    Sell the iPad.

ReputationRep:

By many I hope you mean coding or computer engineering programs. Those are about the only types of programs in which you might run into problems by running a Mac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    You can try and live without having a computer, and get by using the provided ones for, but good luck writing that long essay on your touchscreen when there aren't any computers available. I say forget about throwing away all your money on a logo, and buy a pretty high end Windows laptop. Apple aren't the only computer company who offer warranty deals.
    I don't really think you're just paying for a "logo". If you start matching specs of machines, the prices start to slightly compare. After that, the extra money you're spending is paying for the OS, quality of the machine, and overal experience.

i have been a hardcore Windows user up until last Friday when I got my MacBook. I love it, never going back to Windows. There are just so many small things that you can do on a Mac that you won't realize you can do until you get one. I think this is where a lot of people justify saying that you're just paying a premium and whatnot; the convenience of not having slowdown or viruses is a huge plus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    I used to hate Apple but am turning into a fanboy now.
    I too know the pain of backtracking after you realise that Apple products are, generally, amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    By many I hope you mean coding or computer engineering programs. Those are about the only types of programs in which you might run into problems by running a Mac.
    In my experience, I have come across many programmes that are Windows only.

Mac fanboys always go on the defensive. Mac OS is decent, I like it, but it's undeniable that Windows is the most common and therefore most supported OS in the world

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.