Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Samwelln)
    I too know the pain of backtracking after you realise that Apple products are, generally, amazing.
    Yup, me too. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    I need the portability of a laptop. My mum would go mental if I didn't come home at least once a month and also I don't do gaming anymore which was the strongest argument I had for a desktop. I actually had a Mac for a few years but it broke last month -.- but for the time I had it, it never caused me a single problem and I played games on that computer for hours every day.

I also had an Acer laptop which I bought for £400 and it practically stopped working after a year and I was having problems with it the month I got it. I know for a fact that a MacBook Pro would last me years and if it does break I can just call Apple and have it repaired in a week with AppleCare.

I used to hate Apple but am turning into a fanboy now.
    Why don't you just buy a normal Windows laptop for ~£500? Waiting an extra year just to get a Mac is a bit silly really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    In my experience, I have come across many programmes that are Windows only
    There really aren't that many though.
    And for the ones that are, there is usually a mac alternative that offers the same features and compatibility.
    Unless you are going into some of the very specilized stuff out there.

ReputationRep:
    Why not get the 'non-pro' version? It's much cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfz)
    Why not get the 'non-pro' version? It's much cheaper
    It's only £140 cheaper, which still puts it over £200 his budget. and while the Pros are high enough spec'd to justify the high price, charging over £850 for a Core 2 Duo and only 2GB of RAM is pretty ridiculous by anybody's standards. A Pro's the minimum you want from a MacBook, unless you're in the market for an ultraportable where the Air comes into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    You don;t sound like you know computers as you are aiming to get a mac i assume you are not planning on much gaming so you could probably get the cheapest laptop available and you would be no worst off than owning a mac book pro what is the point in owning a high powered machine if you don't use it to its potential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samwelln)
    I too know the pain of backtracking after you realise that Apple products are, generally, amazing.
    lol you mac fools are funny you own a cheap ****ty pc one time in your life and then you assume every pc ever made must slow and crappy then you buy one super high priced mac and forever believe all pcs are crap and all macs are great simply because you had a £50 pc previously ignorance at its finest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    lol you mac fools are funny you own a cheap ****ty pc one time in your life and then you assume every pc ever made must slow and crappy then you buy one super high priced mac and forever believe all pcs are crap and all macs are great simply because you had a £50 pc previously ignorance at its finest
    I had no idea that my comment had given away my entire computer history. Tell me, what investigative genius did you use to decipher my code?

I hope my simple comment about macs didn't give away any other deep insights into my life.

ReputationRep:
    I made it through first and second year without a computer, it was a bit annoying having to go to a computer cluster every time I wanted to use the internet, but on the plus side it meant I did a lot less internet procrastination. I did buy a laptop for doing my dissertation though.

Just to check, are you factoring in educational discount? Cos that can take a large chunk off of the price.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't think I would have been able to get through living in halls without a laptop. This probably sounds pathetic, but I would have been bored stiff. Yeah, it is the greatest year of my life in a lot of ways, but at the same time there were MANY hours when I was up and about when everyone else was still in bed. I had lectures at 9am everyday, and was finished by 10.30am- whereas the other people in my flat rarely got up before 4pm! So I had a lot of time to kill. That being said, you might not be that unlucky, haha, and if your uni has PCs which are easily accessed I suppose you'd be okay.

Also, I'd find it easier to have my own laptop to store my work on, as uni PCs sometimes delete things randomly for no reason at all.. I'd hate for that to happen to my assignment at any point. You can buy laptops for ~£200 these days, providing you don't need anything "flashy" for the time being, so to be honest I'd be more likely to do that, and then you can sell it and get a bit of cash for it when you're ready to buy your mac.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd saved up for a macbook instead of my acer laptop which frustrates me on a daily basis!! Beg, borrow and steal the rest of the money!! But i'd sell the ipad and put the money towards the macbook

ReputationRep:
    A windows machine is fine if you look after it properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I made it through first and second year without a computer, it was a bit annoying having to go to a computer cluster every time I wanted to use the internet, but on the plus side it meant I did a lot less internet procrastination. I did buy a laptop for doing my dissertation though.

Just to check, are you factoring in educational discount? Cos that can take a large chunk off of the price.
    Finally someone who hasn't had a computer at uni lol. My first year doesn't actually count towards my final grade and just need to get 40% to pass (though I'd still aim higher) which is the only reason I'm considering not buying it at the start of first year.

And yeah, the price is with the student discount. I don't think I'd buy a MBP if we didn't get that discount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelS)
    I wish I'd saved up for a macbook instead of my acer laptop which frustrates me on a daily basis!! Beg, borrow and steal the rest of the money!! But i'd sell the ipad and put the money towards the macbook
    Yayy another Acer hater.

I'm gonna try and get the money somehow probably if I can... and with the free iPod/Printer if I buy it in September I reckon it should be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I have my eyes set on a MacBook Pro but I'm coming up about £400 short (w/ student discount) and was wondering whether I could get away with not having a machine in my room for the first year and then buy it in time for second year.

I already have an iPad and also have internet on my phone so checking emails etc. won't be a problem.
    It's not essential to have a laptop - there are computer rooms in every university. It's highly recommended though, particularly if you're doing a subject that requires a lot of essay writing, or computer science.

ReputationRep:
    Yayy another Acer hater.

I'm gonna try and get the money somehow probably if I can... and with the free iPod/Printer if I buy it in September I reckon it should be worth it.
    Get the free printer - saves a lot of effort!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    1) Have you used a Mac? If so, how did it compare to your computer?"
    2) if not, then you have no right to ask that question.
    3) I have used all kinds of PCs of various specs and recently switched to a Mac. IMO Mac > PC and I realized this after using it for 3 days.

ReputationRep:
    netbooks are good because they are light and easy to put in the bag and take to the library/halls/friends etc.
    also the problem with macs is the microsoft office doesnt work as well so essays are harder to write and macs are a pain to carry around
    also a dongle is handy

ReputationRep:
    International Business and Management.

I'll see if I can find a cheap refurbished netbook to last me a year.
    Unlikely you will need even 10% of what the mac can do.

But having said that, I wouldn't go without a laptop to uni, pretty sure you will need to do plenty of essays and you will also be needing to read lots of online journals.

Finding a computer on campus can be a pain especially when it is around the time all papers are due. Plus on some of the pdf journals, good luck reading them on an iPad In any case you will still be required to use computers on campus despite owning your own as there will be statistical programs usually SPSS that you will be required to use for your homework and such.

Depending on where you are going, it may also require you to familiarize yourself with the basics of some accounting softwares as well...... hence I'd say get a laptop before going to uni, though no need for a MBP.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you some how loan 400 pounds from friends and family??? Say 20 pounds from 20 friends?? That way it will be easy to pay back??

I think you really need a computer, because you will get assignments and essays that needs to be typed, you might get other work that needs extensive use of a computer.. SO its a good idea to have one with you...

Uni and library computers may not be available when you need it....

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.