Turn on thread page Beta

Do you really need a desktop/laptop for uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Nope. Cos as I said, it was around the same price.
    I was looking for a thin and light, but still quite powerful (IE. not an atom or a celeron or whatever) 13" laptop. They were all pretty much around the same price. The Macbook Pro has certain plus points that the other laptops did not have (much better trackpad, better battery life etc etc).

Why do people like you feel the need to troll all the time?
    Because they get tired of people stating how amazing we think Apple computers are and they have to come up with various half-assed reasons about why PCs are better.

Price, usability, customizability, specs... the list can go on and on about why a PC is better than a mac; the people fail to see that ultimately it doesn't matter what they think because at the end of the day, I'm using a Mac and I love it that much more than a PC.

Anything else is an assumption or mute point since we don't know each other's experience with computers, discretionary income, and personal preferences in what we want in computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    Wow.

Macs USED to be the only decent thing for designers. Nowadays PCs are better and that is agreed upon by many many studios and agencies. It just so happens many designers are mac fanboys and have been for a long time and because it was the standard it still is.

Guess what, I use photoshop and illustrator every day on my PC. Never had a single problem over the past 5 years. Its fast, it works, and I can game on the same computer. There are no disadvantages.

Designers dont know much about computers typically, they see someone like David Airey using a mac so they buy one.

Get educated.
    Wow, experts use PCs for design, big whoop. People use Macs too; does that make either or better?

No because A) Unless you are a designer that argument has no relevance to you. B) Who cares? I don't think people who are buying either/or are coming here worrying about what a group of people are saying to which is better for their career.

It's just a computer. It isn't solving world hunger. What you DO on the computer is what's important, not what brand it is.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Singapore Airport - MBpro - 750 pounds

Otherwise - the Lenovo Think pad range is renowned for durability and quality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    lol why do people like you need such stupid demands thin and light?? do you have weak woman arms or something? and how can you stand using the touchpad on your laptop i hate them they are so inaccurate and slow i use a mouse and you obviously weren't looking hard enough or you were looking at the wrong specs to compare so couldn't find a decent one for a lower price
    It isn't stupid demands. I was looking for a 13" laptop to replace my 9" netbook and my 15" laptop. As I travel around a lot, it being thin and light was very important. It may not matter much when you only have the laptop to carry. But when you have a lot of other stuff to carry at the same time, having a thin and light laptop is a huge plus.

The touchpad thing is just personal preference. But the touchpad on the macbooks is a million times better than any touchpad on any windows laptop.

And nope, I was looking. Go on, you try. Find me a 13" laptop that has the same specs as the 13" MBP (similar power, similar batter life, similar weight / thickness etc) but is substantionally cheaper. You won't.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why anyone would get a mac, you are just paying for the apple logo.

My laptop has pretty much the exact same specs as the 13-inch: 2.7 GHz macbook pro, yet I spent over £700 less. And I have better specs than the cheapest macbook pro, yet I still paid £500 less. Think about what a student could dowith an extra 500/700 squid

You can get a seroiusly good windows computer with the kind of money you spend on a mac. And dont give me this **** about viruses, do you really thinkthat in the next few years there wont be 1000's more virsus that can affect the mac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaloblastic)
    I dont see why anyone would get a mac, you are just paying for the apple logo.

My laptop has pretty much the exact same specs as the 13-inch: 2.7 GHz macbook pro, yet I spent over £700 less. And I have better specs than the cheapest macbook pro, yet I still paid £500 less. Think about what a student could dowith an extra 500/700 squid
    So you paid less than £500 for a 2.7Ghz i7? I seriously doubt that.
    Also, you seem to be forgetting about the student discount that you get, which actually makes the base 13" MBP very good value (although I agree anything above that is overpriced).

ReputationRep:
    It isn't stupid demands. I was looking for a 13" laptop to replace my 9" netbook and my 15" laptop. As I travel around a lot, it being thin and light was very important. It may not matter much when you only have the laptop to carry. But when you have a lot of other stuff to carry at the same time, having a thin and light laptop is a huge plus.

The touchpad thing is just personal preference. But the touchpad on the macbooks is a million times better than any touchpad on any windows laptop.

And nope, I was looking. Go on, you try. Find me a 13" laptop that has the same specs as the 13" MBP (similar power, similar batter life, similar weight / thickness etc) but is substantionally cheaper. You won't.
    because nobody makes 13 inch laptops due to the lack of demand they are all 15 inch

ReputationRep:
    because nobody makes 13 inch laptops due to the lack of demand they are all 15 inch
    I think you'll find that there are a lot of 13" laptops out there.
    They are just about the same price as the MBP (with the student discount).

(although there is a current trend towards 14" now, but there are still loads of 13" ones out there)

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find that there are a lot of 13" laptops out there.
    They are just about the same price as the MBP (with the student discount).

(although there is a current trend towards 14" now, but there are still loads of 13" ones out there)
    why does it have to be 13 inch why not 15 inch 12 inch 5 inch etc?

ReputationRep:
    Because for what I needed / wanted, 13" was the best size. Anything smaller was just too small to be useful (as I said, I did have a 9" netbook and that was just annoying), and anything bigger is just too big to be portable for me (I had 15" laptop and that essentially just stayed put cos of its size / weight).

I realise that what I was looking for doesn't matter to most people, but if you are looking for what I was, the the base 13" MBP is actually good value (despite what most people say about macs).

ReputationRep:
    does your uni have 24 hour library?
    can you be bothered to go to uni everytime you want a computer?
    it is doable. but first year i lived with a guy didnt have a laptop and so he was borrowing everyone elses everyday, by end oct he'd got his parents to buy him one...

it really is much easier if you have your own
    x

ReputationRep:
    Because for what I needed / wanted, 13" was the best size. Anything smaller was just too small to be useful (as I said, I did have a 9" netbook and that was just annoying), and anything bigger is just too big to be portable for me (I had 15" laptop and that essentially just stayed put cos of its size / weight).

I realise that what I was looking for doesn't matter to most people, but if you are looking for what I was, the the base 13" MBP is actually good value (despite what most people say about macs).
    why does it have to be portable do you wander across the lands using your laptop to watch videos and check the student room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    I have my eyes set on a MacBook Pro but I'm coming up about £400 short (w/ student discount) and was wondering whether I could get away with not having a machine in my room for the first year and then buy it in time for second year.

I already have an iPad and also have internet on my phone so checking emails etc. won't be a problem.
    Although I don't have a macbook pro i do have a mac laptop which i have had for about 7 years and it still works! Whereas my sister's cheaper laptop only lasted her about a year and a half. I would recommend selling your ipad as they are pointless imo, and buy a macbook as they are worth the money

ReputationRep:
    why does it have to be portable do you wander across the lands using your laptop to watch videos and check the student room?
    Nope. But as I said, I travel around a lot and spend a lot of time on trains or buses. Thus having a laptop that I'd portable is important for me.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I ordered this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120702382997 a few days ago and it should arrive soon.

Now that I have at least some kind of computer to take to uni it opens up more options. I can still wait for a year and get a MPB although I'll try and raise that money before then or now I could get a desktop that I can leave in my room for the year and take the Netbook to lectures/home. I'm still leaning towards a MacBook though so I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, will you just stop posting.

Regardless of your opinion on Macs/PCs, you have no basis to tell someone what size and weight of laptop they need.
    You are embarrassing yourself, just please leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    Christ, will you just stop posting.

Regardless of your opinion on Macs/PCs, you have no basis to tell someone what size and weight of laptop they need.
    You are embarrassing yourself, just please leave.
    the weight difference between a 13inch and a 15inch laptop is so small it is pathetic to restrict yourself based on weight i am giving good advice where you are just moaning get out of here internet police

ReputationRep:
    the weight difference between a 13inch and a 15inch laptop is so small it is pathetic to restrict yourself based on weight i am giving good advice where you are just moaning get out of here internet police
    The weight difference is dependant entirely on the make and model of the laptop you are using, but typically a 15" laptop will be significantly heavier because they are generally considered to be more "desktop-replacement" solutions, rather than focussing on mobility.

Also, a 13" will fit comfortably in any carry-case or backpack, regardless of whether they are designed for laptops or not. A 15" notebook will not fit in most bags or backpacks, unless they are unusually big or designed for a laptop.

If <15" laptops had no purpose then there would not be a multi-billion dollar market for them. Simple as.
    You are wrong, you know it, and you are an embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    1 - The weight difference is very real. Especially if you are travelling a lot.
    2 - The size difference means a lot too. Try using a 15" laptop on the small tables on trains (the older trains where the table spaces is tiny) or on an old bus. Sometimes even my 13" one is too big to use properly.
    3 - You are not giving good advice, your just trolling.

ReputationRep:
    I have also found 13 inches to be the best in terms of usability and portability. i haven't "used" a 15 inch in the sense of walking around with it, pulling it out between classes, etc., but I have 13 inch macbook right now and love it. The screen size is perfect for me and I can fit it in my bag with no problem.

Right now I'm looking for a better, higher quality bag to use but other than that, I can't throw any negatives out about the 13 inch notebooks.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.