Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much right does the father have of the kids? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it illegal for a mother to take her children out of the country without telling the father whatsoever? The children are round about 3 and 4? i.e. the father goes out to work and comes back and finds the house empty - followed by a phone call from the wife informing him she's gone??
    Is she allowed to do that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure it's kidnapping, if the father ran away with the children it usually is classed as that. :/

ReputationRep:
    Are you the father or one of the kids? Or here's a curve ball are the mother.

ReputationRep:
    In my personal opinion, that's wrong. But I'm not sure about the law.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't the mother and father have equal right over the kids. Anyway, I don't think that's a very right thing to do though.

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether he has parental responsibility ie if he is named on the birth certificate or married to the mother.
    I do believe that a simple google search could answer your question

ReputationRep:
    No expert on legality, but if they're married then I'd say he does need to know, even if it's a holiday, I'd argue.

If they're not married there are no obligations, except if it was for residency in the other country.

Answers are not actually legal advice but this would seem to be the sensible framework, and I'm bored.

Cohabitation probably included with marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's known as kidnapping.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need written permission from the father to leave the country if I recall correctly. So if he's on the birth certificate, don't think it's allowed.

(Which is just what I read on a parenting forum, she was no longer with the father but had to get written permission to take her son to the USA. They checked it at the airport)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    Are you the father or one of the kids? Or here's a curve ball are the mother.

One of the kids.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.