Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't concentrate on anything because I'm very worried about my current predicament: I really really really want to study German and Philosophy at King's College London. However, I was only accepted for a single honors philosophy degree I mailed the admissions tutor; he said that they won't be able to change my course because I'm too late. Now I'm scrambling to find any way to get into the program. I am unfamiliar with the UK system of education (I live in the US), so I thought I would appeal to ya'll... any ideas?

I have thought of asking the tutor about changing the course while deferring my entry (in case there aren't enough spots open this year), but I'm not sure if that's feasible. I don't know what else to do (besides taking a year off and reapplying- a last option!) I have also been accepted to study Germ./Phil. at Bristol and may very well go there so I can get the degree I want. I was also admitted to UCL, but once again only for Philosophy. At the end of the day, however, KCL is my top choice because its German department is the best in London (beats UCL) and is ranked #5 for Philosophy (beats Bristol, and comes close to UCL).

I'm worried that I will get my B.A. in Philosophy only to realize that I spent 3 years (and god knows how much money) on a relatively useless degree at UCL, or that I will have to settle on Bristol when I'm actually fond of KCL (I don't want to go to the Uni. of Bristol simply because I feel like I have no other options!)... So yeah, I'm going crazy wondering what to do :creep: <-- a crazed me walking around

Another thing: I noticed that German/Philosophy at KCL was open in UCAS Extra... Knowing that the tutor said I can't get in, does that mean the open spot has been filled by now?

Lastly, I would call KCL, but my phone won't allow me to dial international numbers Ergo, all my correspondence is via painfully slow email...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If they've said you're too late to change your course there's not much you can do. You can ask again if you can change your course and defer but this will mean you need a gap year.

The Extra listing may be closed or a mistake - but that doesn't concern you as you can't use Extra unless you decline your offers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.