Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm applying to Dentistry 2012 and I was wondering if its okay to only go to two open days:? will the uni reject me if they find out I haven't been to their open day?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight_sun)
    will the uni reject me if they find out I haven't been to their open day?? :confused:
    No. But do you want to end up at a uni for 3+ years that you've never visited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight_sun)
    Hi!
    I'm applying to Dentistry 2012 and I was wondering if its okay to only go to two open days:? will the uni reject me if they find out I haven't been to their open day?? :confused:
    Of course they wont reject you they have no real stand on it however if you are applying to somewhere that is higher in the leaderboard like oxbridge then id guess it would be a bonus as you might get to meet the tutor earlier perhaps ... giving you the foot in the door if you get on their good books.

Edit: Wow negged for stating the obvious wow some little troll must have had to much sun today.. go back to your hole if your not going to state why u negged.

ReputationRep:
    No - most offer a tour on the day of the interview anyway. Generally visiting before applying is a good thing though as sometimes there are location factors that can really put you off a particular school and spending 5 years in a location you don't like isn't a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smilingsam)
    Of course they wont reject you they have no real stand on it however if you are applying to somewhere that is higher in the leaderboard like oxbridge then id guess it would be a bonus as you might get to meet the tutor earlier perhaps ... giving you the foot in the door if you get on their good books.
    Oxford and Cambridge don't offer dentistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    Oxford and Cambridge don't offer dentistry
    Really not sure tbh i decided to go to a university down the leaderboard because didnt like them top uni's .. But that is really surprising i thought they prefered the older type of degrees. Man are they missing out on cornering that market lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    No. But do you want to end up at a uni for 3+ years that you've never visited?

thanks tbh im not really fussy about location . and also I have my heart set on manchester (which is where I live) all the other unis (except newcastle) im applying to are close to manchester so i wont be moving away . so i will probably go to newcastle and manchester

ReputationRep:
    They don't care - but IMO it's worthwhile, ideally go to the ones you really fancy last cos you'll ask better questions after you've visited a few.

ReputationRep:
    If, at interview, they ask you "What do you know about the course?" and you don't know anything, you will almost certainly be rejected. That doesn't mean to say that you need to get to an official open day to find that out. A lot of the information will be on the internet, and you can try and speak to the admissions tutors and students on the course, or just wander around the campus (an informal open day).

As people have said though, 3-6 years in a place you don't like feels even longer and has frequently driven the odd student to quitting. You can get a "vibe" from the day of your interview though. So no, it won't directly affect your application, but if you want to give yourself the best possible chance, it's advisable. Good luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.