Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, basically I'm unsure which university to firm and which to have as an insurance.
    First of all, I really like UCL because of where it is and it's also one of the top universities in the UK. However, Southampton is one of the top universities for Computer Science and I want to experience living in a campus-based university. At the same time, York's Goodricke college personally looks amazing however it is quite far away from home.
    Also, the Guardian league table says UCL is 15th for CS but 4th on the Times league table. This is the opposite for Southampton which makes it more difficult for me. They are both offering AAA whereas York is offering AAB.

What I am thinking of doing now is firming UCL and having York as my insurance but Southampton are nice when it comes to missing your offer grades. It's such a difficult decision.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything to help you choose between those unis but my advice would be to completely ignore league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Your firm choice should be your favourite/top choice university. Ignore league tables, grades, reputation etc for a minute and just think- which is your favourite?

Once you've decided that then you can figure out which is your second favourite. This is the one that should be your insurance

ReputationRep:
    It would make sense to have York as your back-up since they're offering the lower grades and so if (worst case scenario!) you were to just miss the mark you've got something to fall back on? Although looking at your predicted grades hopefully you won't have this problem!

Have you thought about going back and having another look around the city and the campus?

What about pro's and cons of the extra stuff like sports / social life / transport / living costs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    Your firm choice should be your favourite/top choice university. Ignore league tables, grades, reputation etc for a minute and just think- which is your favourite?

Once you've decided that then you can figure out which is your second favourite. This is the one that should be your insurance
    Yeah UCL is my favourite however Southampton is my second favourite and the problem is that they are both offering AAA so having southampton as my insurance is pretty pointless. I think I'm just gonna call southampton and ask if its possible they can lower the offer to AAB. Worth a shot, they said at the interview to call them if we dont meet their offer which is basically the point of insurance for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarityy)
    Yeah UCL is my favourite however Southampton is my second favourite and the problem is that they are both offering AAA so having southampton as my insurance is pretty pointless. I think I'm just gonna call southampton and ask if its possible they can lower the offer to AAB. Worth a shot, they said at the interview to call them if we dont meet their offer which is basically the point of insurance for me.
    The offer is actually AAA / A*AB with the A* and A in either Physics or Maths and the B in a third subject. If you get that on results day, they'll let you in. That's what it is for engineering anyway and I believe it should be the same with CS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    The offer is actually AAA / A*AB with the A* and A in either Physics or Maths and the B in a third subject. If you get that on results day, they'll let you in. That's what it is for engineering anyway and I believe it should be the same with CS.
    Apparently it's not. I was thinking as well that its practically equal, but does your offer say AAA or equivalent A*AB, because my one says AAA only. I also asked a few people if it is and apparently it's not so I'm not too sure, so I may call the university to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarityy)
    Apparently it's not. I was thinking as well that its practically equal, but does your offer say AAA or equivalent A*AB, because my one says AAA only. I also asked a few people if it is and apparently it's not so I'm not too sure, so I may call the university to ask.
    This is what it says on my decision letter:

This offer is subject to you obtaining

GCE A level
    Grades AAA
    Mathematics
    Physics

plus either Further Mathematics or Chemistry
    I went to the open day they invited me to after I got my offer and they have decided that they'll also admit you if you get A*AB as they didn't receive the amount of applications they expected and hence are listed on UCAS extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    I went to the open day they invited me to after I got my offer and they have decided that they'll also admit you if you get A*AB as they didn't receive the amount of applications they expected and hence are listed on UCAS extra.
    Maybe that's an exception because of the amount of applications were less than expected. I'm not too sure, I emailed southampton about it but they haven't replied so I might just call them anyway. Thanks for your help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.