Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what good or harm would this do for me? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was going to go for a jog/run every night for minimum of an hour and for a week i'm thinking about not eating anything except a few pieces of fruit each day during that week?

Would doing this be that bad for my health?

ReputationRep:
    going for the run/jog=good

not eating anything except a few pieces of fruit all day=stupid

Eating like that will put your body into starvation mode, and when you start eating properly afterwards more of it than normal will be stored as fat.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you want to be anorexic.

ReputationRep:
    Pro - you'll lose a lot of weight, and if it's only for a week it won't do any harm on the food front...
    Con- although it's errrr than binging on cake every day, doing the excercise and having a balanced diet is better for your health

ReputationRep:
    Bad.
    [/]You run, you eat, you drink.
    [x] You run, starve yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You will not maintain running for an hour each night on that much food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <3x)
    I was going to go for a jog/run every night for minimum of an hour and for a week i'm thinking about not eating anything except a few pieces of fruit each day during that week?

Would doing this be that bad for my health?
    - You will not have enough energy to run that much
    - You lose weight in the short term but will **** up your body and gain back the weight + more in the long term
    - Crash diets don't work for maintaining a healthy weight
    - And yes it's bad for your health

ReputationRep:
    I stopped eating for days at a time when I was in my first year of university (although I will say that it was a lot more than just 'I want to lose weight'. I look back now and have no idea how I let things get to that point). Then I attempted to train the same amount as I usually did, i.e. kickboxing, running, skipping, etc.

So firstly, you will not have the stamina to keep doing it. You might feel like you do at first, but it's an 'artificial high', it won't last. I went from being reasonably fit to being unable to get through a warm-up at kickboxing without feeling out of breath and dizzy.

And the fitness doesn't magically come back after you start eating again, it takes me weeks now to start feeling the same level of fitness as before I stop(ped) eating. Which is counter-productive anyway because you're not burning so many calories through exercise that way.

As said above, yes you will lose weight in the short-term. And then you will put it back on. And if you starve yourself you will also put yourself at risk of binging because your body needs the food and energy.

You probably won't be able to sleep either, you'll probably just lie awake worrying about if it's ok to eat something the next day, what you should eat, if that's too much, if you'll put on weight from it. So you'll have no energy from that either. Because it's not like you just get to the end of the week and go 'Oh ok, I'll start eating again now'. I didn't start off planning to not eat, I told myself I would eat the next day. And then two days became five days. And then 5 days became 10 days. And by day 10 I could barely stand up without feeling out of breath, I got headaches, I got pins and needles in hands/feet/face, and I had one occasion where one side of my body was just jerking and I couldn't stop it. So yeah, I'd say it's pretty bad for your health.

Oh, and when you start to eat again it will hurt. A lot. You will feel awful.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.