Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know it's VERY open to subjectivity, but that's the point, I enjoy reading peoples opinions and such on these things. It's interesting and helps me understand what to expect

So anyone who is/has studied A Level Computing, Economics, Maths or Psychology

I would like to know:

Do you enjoy it? If yes/no why?
    How well are you doing? If yes/no why?
    How interesting do you find it? If yes/no why?
    How challenging do you find it? If yes/no why?

And with Maths, the above about how you found it at GCSE.

And any tips you find that have helped you do well/the most effective way to do well in these subjects that you know

Thank you very much for any responses!

Also a stand alone question: How hard is the computing exam?

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I do Economics, Maths, Psych

Do I enjoy them

Eco - Yes, Maths - Yes, Psych - Kinda (but way to much to learn)

How well - Jan Results - Eco - B, Psych - B, Maths doing in summer

Eco - Very Interesting, Maths - Ok, Psych - Some bits yes and some bits no

Challenging - All challenging otherwise this will be GCSE LOL.

GCSE maths - I got a B, with no revision so yh its all good.

Revision

Maths - Past Papers

Psych - Learn all the studies and the methodology

Eco - Learn from book and tutur2u - long as you know key information you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I do maths

Do you enjoy it? Yes, it's challenging enough to give a sense of achievement when you see you've got one right, but not too challenging so as to cause stress
    How well are you doing? A at AS

And with Maths, the above about how you found it at GCSE: A* at GCSE, it was simple

And any tips you find that have helped you do well/the most effective way to do well in these subjects that you know: past papers my friend

ReputationRep:
    I studied Mathematics, Economics and Computing all at Scottish Higher level, which is the equivalent.

I enjoyed Computing and Economics very much, as they were subjects I was interested in, so didn't find the classes a chore. Maths, however, was a bit harder for me to get into, but once I understood the basics, I found it enjoyable too.

I got Higher A in both Computing and Mathematics and a B in Economics.

I found all the classes interesting to an extent. I have always loved technology so Computing appealed, the year I sat Economics was the year of the recession so we had plenty to discuss and Mathematics, well, it was okay.

Of course, all the classes were challening, but Mathematics was the most to me. Simply because I was more interested in Computing and Economics I found it easier to retain the information I learned in my head, whereas I had to study really hard for Maths.

As everyone else has said, past papers are your friend! Do as many as you can, and get them marked by teachers if you can. If you're stuck on a question, don't just leave it. Take it to your teacher and ask them for pointers or for more revision on that topic.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the responses so far An interesting read

ReputationRep:
    Psychology a level doesn't really do justice to the discipline. Don't do it unless you want to do psych at uni I've got offers for psych at uni this year and the A Level is incredibly useful for things to talk about and such. If you don't like essays though, don't go for it.

Maths a level is actually really fun! At GCSE i thought maths was incredibly boring, but it is actually quite nice (if you like solving puzzles and that sort of thing). Its much harder if you have a bad teacher to do maths though...

ReputationRep:
    I just do Maths

Absolutely love it, plan to apply for just Maths at Uni
    Got full marks on my January module
    Mostly very interesting, except Decision modules
    A fair bit of effort needs to be put in, so it's a reasonable challenge

I got A*'s in GCSE Maths and GCSE Stats

Past papers and questions. Also inventing questions for yourself to solve can be helpful

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implo)
    I know it's VERY open to subjectivity, but that's the point, I enjoy reading peoples opinions and such on these things. It's interesting and helps me understand what to expect

I would like to know:

And any tips you find that have helped you do well/the most effective way to do well in these subjects that you know

I do Psychology.

Yes, I find it fascinating, most things seem to make sense and I find learning it enjoyable.

I achieved a B at AS level. In A2 level I achieved 100% in Jan, aiming for A* now (80% needed in next exam).

I find it very interesting, there's a lot to learn but the theories relate to your own life, you can potentially gain a lot from studying it.

I've never found it challenging, as such. I understand all the theories instantly, the hard part is just getting all that information into your head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implo)

I would like to know:

Economics:

Do you enjoy it? Yes, the course is very interesting and I like the way it connects so much to what's happening in the world. Makes me understand a lot of things better by doing the subject.
    How well are you doing? Much better than I expected. I'm getting A's in most past papers, but I find the written answers much easier than the multi-choice questions, although I haven't started revising yet so hopefully these will get a bit easier!!
    How interesting are you finding it? Kind of covered this in the first question, but I think one of the reasons I find it interesting is because it's not just text book base. It's also about reading newspapers, listening to news and current affairs, and there are loads of online resources to help with the subject, making learning the information much easier.
    How challenging do you find it? I find sometimes it's quite hard to understand something when I've just been taught it, but once it's clicked, it's stuck and it's not so hard to memorise, as if you understand it, you know most of it. Also, all the topics link together, so by studying one topic, it helps you understand the earlier topics better, as you use your knowledge from them.

Most effective way to do well: My teacher says to make sure you look at a newspaper (can be online) at least once a week and try and watch the news regularly. Pick out things to do with the UK. Also, try and read the chapter from the text book the day before you get taught it, as it makes it easier to understand in class, and read it again once you've been taught it.

I'm currently doing AS

Hope I've helped a little .

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.