Turn on thread page Beta

Dating- to let him pay or not? watch

• View Poll Results: Should the guy pay for the first date?
    Yes, always
    34.74%
    No, never
    20.00%
    It depends (please post and explain)
    45.26%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    Im sure he'll treat you like the princess you are.

well princess or not
    but i need him to treat as his women not his mate.

ReputationRep:
    However you decide to pay for the date, don't let money become the dominant subject of it.

ReputationRep:
    Find out how good he is with money. If he's skint often and he wants to pay for your dinner it's already a sign he splurges money a lot, but if he's good with money and wants to pay then by all means accept it, IMO.

(lol at the 'DATE RICH MEN' advertisement on my screen)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    So this guy wants to take me out on a dinner date, and he's also insisting that he pays as he feels it's the right way to be and that he wants to be a gentleman. I keep telling him I'd rather pay for myself as I'd feel terribly guilty and also I sort of feel like something is 'expected' of me if I let a guy pay and it's like extra pressure. But he says he just wants to take me out! Not sure whether to give in or not.
    What do you think?

Edit: I am only talking about the first date. He is a friend of a friend and we've met twice and talked online for quite a while.
    if he is a nice guy anyway he will pay but a little advice in my personal opinion a girl that expects you to pay is always a bad thing so make a move towards your purse so you at least giving a hint that you are wiling to pay and he should offer

ReputationRep:
    I always let my boyfriend pay for me when we go out for meals and stuff. If he's offered to take you and pay for you then let him. Although I always try and even it out, so I might offer myself as the designated driver hehe.

If it's something less formal, like the cinema, we usually arrange it so one person pays for tickets and the other pays for popcorn etc. Or at the pub, take it in turns getting the drinks in.

tl;dr If he's offering to pay, let him. But don't expect him to pay for everything in future if you go out again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    As you can see from the TSR reaction, the moral of the story is freedom for all except if you choose to do things that those feminists don't want. Y'all are hypocrites.

If you want to be as described above, that's perfectly fine, but don't forget you can get a part time job, a hobby, or study even-- anything really-- as well as be a housewife and value your time with your kids. A housewife in the UK implies you are a prisoner, which clearly doesnt have to be the case. The feminists take offence on your behalf!! lol Looking at it from an economics standpoint, division of labour is more efficient too.

Personally, I think ALL men and women should come to some kind of arrangement so there is always somebody there for a child until they are at least 4 and head off to school. By "always" I mean 24/7. If the woman chooses to be a housewife, good on her. Bringing up the next society ain't an easy job and if we were doing a proper job we wouldn't have such a screwed youth society today (binge drinking, drugs, sex, teenage pregnancy, lack of education, knife crime, antisocial behaviour etc). If a kid is spending more time with a babysitter than with their parents, there is something wrong.

well yeah i was exaggerating i dont mean i want to like look afte 12 kids 24/7. I mean what i dont think what women should be the one who brings the most money into a family and is in charge of everything. I would want a job...but a job which i relaly like and which doesn't take all my time. Not the one which i have to do to get money and feed to kids and pay bills.

i dont know...i have a mother who's a ***** (to her coworkers) businesswomen and was a complete control freak....like at home everything was meant to be as she said or she was nagging everyone. I also never really stayed with her till i was 6 couse she studied abroad.
    i dont think i liked this as a child. I was always lived with grandparents. And then dad left to a another women who wasn't nagging, wanted to have loads of children and baked cakes etc.
    Now she my mum has 2 bfs ... which you would think is grate but she's constantly unhappy and complains what she doesn't like being the leader and the "man" in her relationships. But like poor guys dont stand a chance couse she totally suppresses them and like overly independent.

So i know what i definitely dont want to be this super-mega-independent business ***** women. Couse you relationships suck. You children dont rely remember being with you when they were little etc....

Only thing i would disagree about.....attitude towards drinking/sex/drugs.....doesn't depend at all on who was bringing you up.....in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    I think the guy should pay for the first date, and then maybe on the others offer to pay or do half and half

ReputationRep:
    I think if a guy wants to treat a girl (or vice versa!) then that's lovely and a thank-you is all that's necessary, that said it should never be expected of either partner to pay and assuming we were at roughly the same place financially I'd usually suggest splitting the bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    You're an absolute loon you know that right? It's not the 1900's :rolleyes:
    I think this is abit unfair to call her names. It might surprise you but the Russian culture is fairly different to the British culture (not having a go but just be open-minded) russian girls do get treated really highly over there compared to here and it's not her fault that she has these views. Those views shes expressed in her post are common amongst Russian women/girls.

ReputationRep:
    I went out with somebody for dinner once and he insisted on paying but I refused & paid half. Every single time after that we went he expected me to pay the whole price... & just randomly give him money.
    Not like I was loaded or anything either :|

If he insists then let him, offer to pay some but if he says no then don't pay.

I would always offer though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.