Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need an excuse to cut contact with my family. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    In your profile there's a comment of her. That's creepy.
    She is actually my gf, I just like winding her up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    Yes they do, you being the prime example of somebody who needs to do this!
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keith Lemon)
    She is actually my gf, I just like winding her up...
    Ooh. My bad, I thought you guys are being ****ing serious lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_geek)
    How?
    Your problem was that you took what he said 100% literally and got in a huff about it, but if you put it into context of the thread for a moment, you might have realised that he didn't actually want to get raped, thus avoiding your problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I live in an asian extended family, and its really annoying because I hate it. My parents and relatives tell me they love me, but I'm not them, I don't follow the same religion, I don't want to get married which is what the tradition seems to be and I just want to move abroad, get an apartment, live my life the way I want and never speak to them again. I know it sounds harsh, but I've hated the whole family dictating what my life should be like and especially when they show that they care about me a lot which I'm sure they do, but no matter what happens I never seem to stay happy there; I'm probably the most ungrateful person for having a loving family, but I really wish I was some kind of a victim of abuse or something or even be homeless so I'd have an excuse to run away for. I've spent a night on the street and I enjoyed living in the cold in the city even though its really harsh conditions but I felt free and happy. At home I use any excuse to stay out late at night and just wander around the streets; it makes me happy.

But its really difficult, because recently I've tried telling my family I'm unhappy and the only thing that my parents think is because I didn't get in to med school; but its really because I want to live a free life.

I plan to move abroad in the future and work there but even then, my family would be behind my back dictating me to get married and follow the same religion as them.
    Dude/ Bro, get in touch ... pm me, i'm asian ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    Your problem was that you took what he said 100% literally and got in a huff about it, but if you put it into context of the thread for a moment, you might have realised that he didn't actually want to get raped, thus avoiding your problem.
    But OP suggested it... literal or not... Any former abuse victim I know (and after a year in domestic violence refuges, that's a LOT) would have been offended by this...

I'm with secret_geek on this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    Yeah but whether what he said was 'in context' or not - it's a totally out of order thing to say. I wouldn't wish upon ANYONE to be the victime of abuse. Just OP came across to be 'bubble-wraped' and have no idea of the real world by wishing for these things. Oh my family cares about me I wanna get abused so I can run away... People don't have families, people don't have a choice about being abused and some people have no choice but to be homeless. Just get a grip OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dizzy09)
    But OP suggested it... literal or not... Any former abuse victim I know (and after a year in domestic violence refuges, that's a LOT) would have been offended by this...

I'm with secret_geek on this one.
    I agree, but being offended is different from reaching the wild conclusion that he wants to be raped, which is silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_geek)
    Yeah but whether what he said was 'in context' or not - it's a totally out of order thing to say. I wouldn't wish upon ANYONE to be the victime of abuse. Just OP came across to be 'bubble-wraped' and have no idea of the real world by wishing for these things. Oh my family cares about me I wanna get abused so I can run away... People don't have families, people don't have a choice about being abused and some people have no choice but to be homeless. Just get a grip OP.
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    I agree, but being offended is different from reaching the wild conclusion that he wants to be raped, which is silly.
    OK, he didn't say he wanted to be raped (IIRC), but he did say something about wanting to be abused... I can kinda see where secret_geek was coming from on this one.

ReputationRep:
    You should just leave. Don't even tell them where you're going, so that you're not always thinking that they might be following you or that you're still somehow under their influence. Then just stay wherever you are until you feel satisfied that you've enjoyed your freedom and that you're not being forced to go back by any kind of guilt, pressure or time constraint. I felt the same way, I did it and it gave my family a wake up call. We get on just fine now and they stay out of my way, although I must admit that there's no love there on my part.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to cut off ties with your family to do what you want to do, and follow your path.

You just have to let them know that you are serious in pursuing what you want, and not what they want. Let them know how important those things are to u.

ReputationRep:
    You are nothing .. without ur family ......

ReputationRep:
    I live in an asian extended family, and its really annoying because I hate it. My parents and relatives tell me they love me, but I'm not them, I don't follow the same religion, I don't want to get married which is what the tradition seems to be and I just want to move abroad, get an apartment, live my life the way I want and never speak to them again. I know it sounds harsh, but I've hated the whole family dictating what my life should be like and especially when they show that they care about me a lot which I'm sure they do, but no matter what happens I never seem to stay happy there; I'm probably the most ungrateful person for having a loving family, but I really wish I was some kind of a victim of abuse or something or even be homeless so I'd have an excuse to run away for. I've spent a night on the street and I enjoyed living in the cold in the city even though its really harsh conditions but I felt free and happy. At home I use any excuse to stay out late at night and just wander around the streets; it makes me happy.

But its really difficult, because recently I've tried telling my family I'm unhappy and the only thing that my parents think is because I didn't get in to med school; but its really because I want to live a free life.

I plan to move abroad in the future and work there but even then, my family would be behind my back dictating me to get married and follow the same religion as them.
    Do whatever you want, if your family disown you, then you have achieved your goal. If they don't, awesome.

ReputationRep:

assuming that they're conservative because they're religious:

tell them you're a flaming homosexual, introduce them to your "new boyfriend" (pay someone?) and then fly off to where ever it is you want to go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.