Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have firmed SOAS for Economics for entry in 2011

I am looking to pursure a career in finance (I know, "he's only doing it for the money etc.") and wanted to know how likely it is that top Investment Banks would recruit from SOAS. From what I've heard, SOAS is a top university for Economics (although not justifiably represented as such in the league tables due to student satisfaction etc.). Does anyone have any ideas/examples of Investment Banks recruiting from SOAS on a consistent basis?

Please Quote me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEcon)

I am looking to pursure a career in finance (I know, "he's only doing it for the money etc.&quot and wanted to know how likely it is that top Investment Banks would recruit from SOAS. From what I've heard, SOAS is a top university for Economics (although not justifiably represented as such in the league tables due to student satisfaction etc.). Does anyone have any ideas/examples of Investment Banks recruiting from SOAS on a consistent basis?

Please Quote me!!!
    I think its possible, but remember SOAS is not a target uni, so getting into roles in Front Office should be very hard. If you ask this question in the IB sub-forum the people there will be able to help you, but they can be a bit brutal.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, not really. It'll be difficult without contacts. Are you doing a course with a language?

EDIT: Negged, even though what I said is true

ReputationRep:
    Network like a ninja ... I found that is very useful even if you're from a target university.

ReputationRep:
    As likely as it is for any other uni outside the target 6

ReputationRep:
    agree with blackVenom...you just have to show determination and grit come interview stage, and you will be fine. When you come try and join groups like SEO, Rare...who will defo lead you onto that path, if not im sure you will defo find people here who will hook you up with more international firms.

P.S. I do econ here.

ReputationRep:

I am looking to pursure a career in finance (I know, "he's only doing it for the money etc.") and wanted to know how likely it is that top Investment Banks would recruit from SOAS. From what I've heard, SOAS is a top university for Economics (although not justifiably represented as such in the league tables due to student satisfaction etc.). Does anyone have any ideas/examples of Investment Banks recruiting from SOAS on a consistent basis?

Please Quote me!!!
    IB isn't everything, though i do wanna go into it, im going QMUL .....

SOAS is a very good university, but from what i've heard there Courses are very focused on development economics.......
    But because of that you could probably get into Ib abroad in hong kong or somewhere smaller in the middle east

ReputationRep:

Please Quote me!!!
    There's a major focus on Development Economics and the critical schools (SOAS has pretty much the only Economics department in the UK which focuses on critical theory); just something to think about.

Joe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.