Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The place is also now covered in faeces as well as blood as I've had a breakdown and **** everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electricjon)
    Well, being a private doctor, the orthopaedic surgeon would offer his professional opinion (which would be that her shoulders are normal and that he recommend a psychiatrist for her Munchausen's) but then ultimately the patient would have the power to have whatever she wanted. If she wanted bilateral shoulder replacements and was willing to pay for it, then the surgeon would be obligated to do so.
    So it wouldn't be questionable to do the surgery on her if she didn't need it?

ReputationRep:
    It would be questionable, hence the need to turn to a private doctor. Generally speaking, if a patient needs something then they get it on the NHS. If they don't need it but they still want it (e.g. cosmetic dentistry, aesthetic surgery) then there will always be private doctors (and dentists) willing to do it for the right price.

ReputationRep:
    When you ask her about the pain, she shrugs her shoulders and says "I don't know! It hurts! 11 out of 10!"
    MOTHERF_____G SHENS! that's what i'd tell her and call psych to see what punishment they got for fakers.

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, well spotted. I put that in deliberately. She genuinely did shrug her shoulders and then I knew she was "faking" (i.e. suffering from Munchausen's), but prior to that moment I took her symptoms seriously.

ReputationRep:
    It would be questionable, hence the need to turn to a private doctor. Generally speaking, if a patient needs something then they get it on the NHS. If they don't need it but they still want it (e.g. cosmetic dentistry, aesthetic surgery) then there will always be private doctors (and dentists) willing to do it for the right price.
    Sure, if it's private dentistry/cosmetic surgery, but would a private orthopod do it if there was no clinical need?

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha, well spotted. I put that in deliberately. She genuinely did shrug her shoulders and then I knew she was "faking" (i.e. suffering from Munchausen's), but prior to that moment I took her symptoms seriously.
    **** be crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Sure, if it's private dentistry/cosmetic surgery, but would a private orthopod do it if there was no clinical need?
    Depends how strapped he was for cash and also his grasp of ethics.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how strapped he was for cash and also his grasp of ethics.
    So he wouldn't get struck off for doing so if the patient asked for it and paid privately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    So he wouldn't get struck off for doing so if the patient asked for it and paid privately?
    I don't think so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Because I was a bit mean in my summary.
    I think it was more the apparent arrogance in your final sentence. The "stay away form my patients" and "you have a long way to go" were particular lowlights.

Most people who were commenting are just applying to medical school or are early medical students, I'm sure they're perfectly aware of the fact that they "have a long way to go".

ReputationRep:
    Well, being a private doctor, the orthopaedic surgeon would offer his professional opinion (which would be that her shoulders are normal and that he recommend a psychiatrist for her Munchausen's) but then ultimately the patient would have the power to have whatever she wanted. If she wanted bilateral shoulder replacements and was willing to pay for it, then the surgeon would be obligated to do so.
    I doubt they are obliged to do anything if they don't think it's clinically necessary. But it is true that it's more likely to get done if she goes privately than on the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musty_Elbow)
    I think it was more the apparent arrogance in your final sentence. The "stay away form my patients" and "you have a long way to go" were particular lowlights.

Most people who were commenting are just applying to medical school or are early medical students, I'm sure they're perfectly aware of the fact that they "have a long way to go".
    It's no secret that I have an overly cocky demeanour, but it was said more for dramatic effect than anything else. I can be quite condescending to my juniors and admit it's a bit of a weakness of mine that I'm trying to address, but there were quite a lot of stupid answers that got me very annoyed, so forgive my high-and-mighty humiliatory approach - it's just my style!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I doubt they are obliged to do anything if they don't think it's clinically necessary. But it is true that it's more likely to get done if she goes privately than on the NHS.
    And vice versa, surgeons are able to deny patients operations that clinically need it, for instance if they were worried about a threat to their health (e.g. HIV positive).

ReputationRep:
    It's no secret that I have an overly cocky demeanour, but it was said more for dramatic effect than anything else. I can be quite condescending to my juniors and admit it's a bit of a weakness of mine that I'm trying to address, but there were quite a lot of stupid answers that got me very annoyed, so forgive my high-and-mighty humiliatory approach - it's just my style!
    Fair enough! Just so you know, I didn't neg rep you for it. Although I'm sure you couldn't care less.

It was an interesting case, must of been bloody scary and traumatic at the end of it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musty_Elbow)
    Fair enough! Just so you know, I didn't neg rep you for it. Although I'm sure you couldn't care less.

It was an interesting case, must of been bloody scary and traumatic at the end of it too.
    Thankfully I'm over the "frozen-doctor-syndrome" stage of my training, but yeah it always get the adrenaline going! It was sad that we couldn't save him, but it will hopefully catalyse many improvements to the A&E service. The times they are a changin'.

Anyone want another case?

ReputationRep:
    Me me me me! I knew she was faking it, but have just come on now. Love the comment about shruging the shoulders...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want another case?
    Yes please! I can't generally add anything sensible to these but they're very interesting.

Although annoyingly I did get the shrugging shoulders and was getting all excited about being clever but I was beaten to it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Another case please? They are very interesting to read

ReputationRep:
    And vice versa, surgeons are able to deny patients operations that clinically need it, for instance if they were worried about a threat to their health (e.g. HIV positive).
    Now that's an interesting thought. Would they not be discriminating against the patient unless they found another surgeon to do the operation assuming the operation is in the patients best interests?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.