Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by electricjon)
    She's getting quite angry now. She raises her voice. "Excuse me?! What the hell do you know?! You're a newly qualified F1! I have years more experience than you so just button it and let's finish this ward round."
    Tbh if she's made these mistakes and can't realise until you or a nurse points them out she shouldn't be at work.

Luckily for me I have plenty of 'social histories' to take so I can get some communication skills :rolleyes:

However I would talk to her alone after rounds and suggest that she takes the rest of the day off and that if she doesn't that I would feel the need to speak to the consultant. I would then apologise to her for having to do this, but would justify this to her by saying that I would much rather that she hated me for a while than a patient losing his or her life due to her mistake and her facing more trouble ahead.

Hopefully she would agree and go home, if not I would speak to someone higher than her.

Also this has reminded me of the ungraded section of the UKCAT.... don't tell me that that thing is actually useful :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    "What's your problem?! I said I was tired - what do you want me to do?! The potassium was a fair enough mistake but the second lady just has a chest infection and will be fine."

You move on to the next patient. A 36 year old mother of 2, three days post-op for a bowel resection and formation of a stoma for a severe exacerbation of Crohn's disease. She has taken a nasty turn overnight and looks quite septic. Your registrar says "There's not much more we can do here. Fetch me a DNAR form will you?"
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    "What's your problem?! I said I was tired - what do you want me to do?! The potassium was a fair enough mistake but the second lady just has a chest infection and will be fine."

You move on to the next patient. A 36 year old mother of 2, three days post-op for a bowel resection and formation of a stoma for a severe exacerbation of Crohn's disease. She has taken a nasty turn overnight and looks quite septic. Your registrar says "There's not much more we can do here. Fetch me a DNAR form will you?"
    Ok I'mma hafta slap that woman now :rolleyes:

Question whether she attended a lecture from Mr Harold Shipman last night, explaining her lack of sleep and approach to patients :rolleyes:

She needs to get off shift before she kills someone, either she'll go willingly or she'll go pushed.

Alternatively offer her a cuppa tea, that solves everything :tea:

ReputationRep:
    You offer her a cup of tea. She lightens up. You go into the coffee room and have a chat. She explains that her friends threw her a surprise party last night for recently getting engaged. After drinking heavily in the town centre, her friends went back to her place and stayed up partying. She also admits to having taken some cocaine, hence why she hasn't been able to sleep all night, but she insists she is okay to continue work and wants to finish the ward round. She just wants the day to be over so she can go to bed. She is not looking forward to going to theatre.

ReputationRep:
    "Fetch me a DNAR form will you?"
    Wow she's got issues :eek:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You offer her a cup of tea. She lightens up. You go into the coffee room and have a chat. She explains that her friends threw her a surprise party last night for recently getting engaged. After drinking heavily in the town centre, her friends went back to her place and stayed up partying. She also admits to having taken some cocaine, hence why she hasn't been able to sleep all night, but she insists she is okay to continue work and wants to finish the ward round. She just wants the day to be over so she can go to bed. She is not looking forward to going to theatre.
    Right well, still don't want her staying on shift, and she's responding well to positivity and presumably you can't cover her so..

See if you can persuade her to let you see if another SpR will cover theatre for her.. maybe say "you don't look too good, maybe see if x will cover for you and you could pay x back another time?"
    Presumably she'll resist that so go with the "I know I'm just an F1, but I'm not sure if you remember back from med school when you looked after me, but this is me trying to return the favour.. I don't want anything bad to happen"
    She'll probably still resist slightly so go for the "what would you do if it was the other way around?"
    Hopefully then she'll agree :crossedf:

EDIT: I feel like I'm slightly hogging this thread now :lol:
    Where is everyone? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Those of you that gave frankly stupid answers, or asked for more information, or suggested random interventions, made up pathologies, or worried about confidentiality issues, have a long way to go as doctors. Medicine is about recognising what you know and what you don’t know, and if you don’t know, DO NOT GUESS. GET HELP INSTEAD. And if you can’t do that, stay away from me and my patients before you end up killing someone.
    Congrats on not sounding like an arrogant **** there, God. Sorry, I mean Doc. Having read through this entire thread (and I never intend to study medicine or anything remotely related to it) it's pretty clear as to why so many people dislike doctors. Get over yourself.

Neg me all you want, this guy is an a**hole. It's clear to anyone who doesn't have their own superiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Right well, still don't want her staying on shift, and she's responding well to positivity and presumably you can't cover her so..

See if you can persuade her to let you see if another SpR will cover theatre for her.. maybe say "you don't look too good, maybe see if x will cover for you and you could pay x back another time?"
    Presumably she'll resist that so go with the "I know I'm just an F1, but I'm not sure if you remember back from med school when you looked after me, but this is me trying to return the favour.. I don't want anything bad to happen"
    She'll probably still resist slightly so go for the "what would you do if it was the other way around?"
    Hopefully then she'll agree :crossedf:

EDIT: I feel like I'm slightly hogging this thread now :lol:
    I'm following with interest but have zero to contribute personally :ninja:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    in bed, sleeping :zzz:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I'm following with interest but have zero to contribute personally :ninja:
    Ah fair enough

No harm in voicing your opinion though? No harm in being wrong on here :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough

I guess telling her to go to rehab would end up with me being told to f**k off so I won't suggest that

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough

Well, I won't even be going through the application process until Autumn 2012 so I don't think I have a clue how one would approach the situation... except my layperson's opinion is that she sounds like she didn't do the coke all that long ago (due to being so flippant/irritable/overconfident) and needs to go home ASAP! Though getting her in big trouble seems a bit harsh, everyone has dumb moments sometimes? I guess she needs to be persuaded (perhaps also by another colleague) that she really isn't up to the job today and needs to go home or face the consequences...

ReputationRep:
    This doctor is unsafe to practice and is putting patients lives in danger- document your observations and call the consultant immediately as alternative cover needs discussion- -patients come first.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    I guess telling her to go to rehab would end up with me being told to f**k off so I won't suggest that
    I would assume so, yes.. especially if she only used cocaine once.. then again I guess we can't assume it's the first time..

But anyway I want to hear electricjon continue the story

ReputationRep:
    The interesting problem would to be actually voicing the problem to a superior especially if the doctor is a really good friend. Ya catch ma drift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    Congrats on not sounding like an arrogant **** there, God. Sorry, I mean Doc. Having read through this entire thread (and I never intend to study medicine or anything remotely related to it) it's pretty clear as to why so many people dislike doctors. Get over yourself.

Neg me all you want, this guy is an a**hole. It's clear to anyone who doesn't have their own superiority complex.
    If you don't like it, jog on. Most people are enjoying this thread and OPs contributions.

ReputationRep:
    You read through the ENTIRE thread and that's all you had to say? You failed to point out my submissions that I do, by my own admission, adopt a cocky arrogance that I apologised for, but was done with the intention of educating people and offering a thought provoking discussion, and that it may be somewhat influenced by my bad mood at the time, as I am currently bed bound recovering from an operation and trying to keep it together despite the waves of criticism that I keep getting. Next week when I am fully better I will return to my job and get on with my life, never to return to the medicine forum, such is it full of people who have nothing constructive to say.

You, on the other hand, and reading through your posts throughout the forum, are clearly a total imbecile and unruly tosspot, so forgive me if I choose to disregard this pathetic contribution to the debate.
    Indeed, because that was the bit that stuck out the most to me (and to everyone else it seems, since you got pretty badly negged on that one.) Yes, that is what you said, well done. However, it just seems like you were trying to boast your knowledge and condescend other people as opposed to educating anyone. I dread to think what you're like when dealing with patients... If I were you, kiddo, I'd spend more time working on my people-skills as opposed to posting on a student website. There you go! Constructive criticism for you.

You're wrong about that, but thats quite alright if you choose to ignore this reply. You'll soon know I'm right once the complaints against you start flooding on in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    If you don't like it, jog on. Most people are enjoying this thread and OPs contributions.
    As I stated before, Godspeed, I spent around half an hour reading through this whole thread and was just calling the guy out on his general bad attitude which is VERY off-putting. What ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO NEGGED ME fail to understand is that it is actually constructive criticism.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    She just wants the day to be over so she can go to bed. She is not looking forward to going to theatre.
    What would her responsibilities in theatre be? I assume superiors will be around - are they around already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackso)
    As I stated before, Pete, I spent around half an hour reading through this whole thread and was just calling the guy out on his general bad attitude which is VERY off-putting. What ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO NEGGED ME fail to understand is that it is actually constructive criticism.
    Do I know you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.