Turn on thread page Beta

The A Level Music Revision Thread- Summer 2011 watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I thought I would create a thread where people can post revision tips, revision notes and ask questions about the music exams this summer....

Hopefully it will get off to a good start

What exam board are you studying?
    What do you need help with?
    What can you offer help with?

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Edexcel A2 Music and I really need some advice on how to revise effectively, especially for the listening and essay section of the written exam. Anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Im doing the edexcel exam, the best way that i have found to revise at the minute it by none stop listening to the songs, so i have my ipod and have just the 11 tracks on shuffle just in the background while im revising for my other subjects. It isnt to help you know about the track but i find it helps me to pin point where about the piece of music is when i have done a practise listening exam.

I really need help with the essays thought :/ i cant seem to get my head around them? any help please?

ReputationRep:
    To prepare for the essays, I am planning on (when I have time), to write 6 bullet points for each piece, for each of the possible features e.g Rhythm or Tonality.

The essay questions I think are worth 36 marks, and include comparing 3 different pieces, on two different features. Therefore 6 bullet points for each x 3 different pieces x 2 features = 36

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cello Ninja)
    To prepare for the essays, I am planning on (when I have time), to write 6 bullet points for each piece, for each of the possible features e.g Rhythm or Tonality.

The essay questions I think are worth 36 marks, and include comparing 3 different pieces, on two different features. Therefore 6 bullet points for each x 3 different pieces x 2 features = 36
    I think I might do that! In terms of including bar numbers in our essays, do they gain marks? Should we use as many as possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesilvermagnolia)
    I think I might do that! In terms of including bar numbers in our essays, do they gain marks? Should we use as many as possible?
    I think you should include at least one for each comment, sometimes more if you have a reason for it e.g. saying where a theme repeats itself. You definitely need at least some to get marks, we get the score in the exam anyway! So you don't need to remember them like last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cello Ninja)
    I think you should include at least one for each comment, sometimes more if you have a reason for it e.g. saying where a theme repeats itself. You definitely need at least some to get marks, we get the score in the exam anyway! So you don't need to remember them like last year
    True Thanks! Are you making revision notes on all the pieces? Then learning from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesilvermagnolia)
    True Thanks! Are you making revision notes on all the pieces? Then learning from them?

We have been given 'Self Questions' for each of the features. Our teacher wants us to just learn these, and then ask ourselves the questions for the pieces in the exam, and find examples, instead of learning all the points for all the pieces. However this scares me a little, so I'll probably end up trying to learn points for each of the pieces separately.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.