Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need to hand in my sixth form college options by the end of this week!!
    I want to do something in Pharmacy, Biomedical Sciences, Psycology or some thing along those lines.
    Im definatley taking Biology, but then im stuck between Chemistry (which ill find very very hard) Psycology, Health and Social Care, Portuguese.

HELP PLEASE! please put your opinion. thankyou

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go into pharmacy or biomed you will more or less need two sciences, and if you find chemistry too difficult then you won't have much of a chance with these subjects.
    I would recommend Bio, Chem, Psychology, Portuguese (are you fluent in it already?)

ReputationRep:
    I definately would not take health and social care.

I would take Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Purtegese, then drop Chemistry after As.

Remember no subject is that hard, so long as you put the extra work in and research.

ReputationRep:
    Im afraid that if you want to do pharmacy or biomedical science you do need to take chemistry. Dont be put off taking it, it is hard, but thats irrelavent when you work hard.

(Original post by snufkin_)
    I definately would not take health and social care.
    Why wouldnt she take health and social care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phill232)

Why wouldnt she take health and social care?
    She asked for opinions, and I said I definately would not take health and social care.

I would not take health and social care because when I was applying for universities I feel it is best to do traditional A Level subjects, not only do they look better for future employers but universities often look down on the "softer" subjects.

When taking my A Levels I took 3 traditional and 1 "soft" subject and feel it did me absolutely no favours at all....

again just my opinion. If she wants to do health and social care and feels she will excell it in, then good for her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snufkin_)
    She asked for opinions, and I said I definately would not take health and social care.

I would not take health and social care because when I was applying for universities I feel it is best to do traditional A Level subjects, not only do they look better for future employers but universities often look down on the "softer" subjects.

When taking my A Levels I took 3 traditional and 1 "soft" subject and feel it did me absolutely no favours at all....

again just my opinion. If she wants to do health and social care and feels she will excell it in, then good for her.
    Respected subjects arent really important for most places away from oxbridge and imperial. Someone can study all sciences, maths and further maths but it will get them no where if they get all C's. Health and social care is relavent to pharmacy, its interesting, friends of mine claim its easy and its mainly coursework; steady hard work will ensure a very good grade with no exam uncertainty. All you need is chemistry and biology. Two girls in my class hold offers for pharmacy and both study health and social care. I think that good AS grades are more important than supposed prestige as one of them got 4A's and has offers for Queens Belfast, Manchester, University of Ulster and Liverpool John Moors. Two of those are russel group and are very willing to make her an offer.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my AS's in Double Health and Social Care, Biology and Psychology!
    Health and Social Care can be quite daunting because of the coursework involved, however that way you can ensure you get the best marks. It really depends of if you can be bothered to put the work in lesson after lesson.
    Biology is fantastic - of course! It's difficult though so be prepared to learn some words that I'm still sure they made up especially to confuse students!
    Psychology is really interesting, though I know most places the courses they do are completely based on exams, this means that there is an awful amount of stress and pressure in the exam seasons.

Good luck making your choices!

Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.