Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not sure this is the right forum but there we go!
    I need to take a biology a level after my current degree because id like to do a 2nd undergrad. in physiotherapy but don't have the science background I need.
    I have considered access courses but there aren't any science ones in my immeadiate area.
    What I'd like to know is there anyone who's taken an a-level after uni and got any advice or suggestions because I am super struggling with trying to organise it. It's hard to find places that offer it in a year so I just wonder what the options are?
    Anyone with anything let me know! cheers =]

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to the universities you are thinking of applying to, they would probably be able to give you a better idea of what they would prefer, as they may prefer relevent work experience as apposed to another A'level. Just give a few addmissions tutors for the appropriate courses a call or e-mail they are normally very happy to help

ReputationRep:
    City of Westminster College offer intensive 1-year A-Levels for those who got decent GCSE grades. It's a bit of a trek and they charge about £700 for tuition and exams (assuming you aren't on benefits) but it's a decent option. I'm taking Chemistry there and in general, it's been OK. Unfortunately because of how the science A-Levels are structured you will need somewhere to do the coursework/lab practicals.
    Alternatively you can do a distance learning course then contact somewhere like Campbell Harris in Kensington about the lab work. They will usually get all that work done during Easter so you don't need to commute in for lessons.

As for the post-graduate stuff, there is an Oxford graduate in my chemistry class who is trying to get into medicine, she got an A in January and was offered a place shortly after. Can be done (you will find that after a degree, a single A-Level in Biology should be quite straight forward tbh).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charli_dc1990)
    Not sure this is the right forum but there we go!
    I need to take a biology a level after my current degree because id like to do a 2nd undergrad. in physiotherapy but don't have the science background I need.
    I have considered access courses but there aren't any science ones in my immeadiate area.
    What I'd like to know is there anyone who's taken an a-level after uni and got any advice or suggestions because I am super struggling with trying to organise it. It's hard to find places that offer it in a year so I just wonder what the options are?
    Anyone with anything let me know! cheers =]
    thanks for this, I have actually already done this but uni's still want the a-level or access course qualification sadly! not only that but they want a 2.1 from my degree which I think is a bit cheeky but such is life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiberiFatali)
    City of Westminster College offer intensive 1-year A-Levels for those who got decent GCSE grades. It's a bit of a trek and they charge about £700 for tuition and exams (assuming you aren't on benefits) but it's a decent option. I'm taking Chemistry there and in general, it's been OK. Unfortunately because of how the science A-Levels are structured you will need somewhere to do the coursework/lab practicals.
    Alternatively you can do a distance learning course then contact somewhere like Campbell Harris in Kensington about the lab work. They will usually get all that work done during Easter so you don't need to commute in for lessons.

As for the post-graduate stuff, there is an Oxford graduate in my chemistry class who is trying to get into medicine, she got an A in January and was offered a place shortly after. Can be done (you will find that after a degree, a single A-Level in Biology should be quite straight forward tbh).
    it's great to hear there are options but £700 is quite steep! obviously that's london prices and probably the going rate but i reckon i could self teach. my partner did biology a-level and is just finishing a degree in biological sciences so he can help me.
    cheers for the advice though, something to think about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charli_dc1990)
    it's great to hear there are options but £700 is quite steep! obviously that's london prices and probably the going rate but i reckon i could self teach. my partner did biology a-level and is just finishing a degree in biological sciences so he can help me.
    cheers for the advice though, something to think about!
    Oh it can definitely be self taught, the only issue arises when you need to find somewhere to sit the exams and someone to mark/assess your practical work (which will require lab usage). But boards like AQA will actually you give a list of schools who use their specification, it's just up to you to do the leg work and set it all up.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.