Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I left uni and moved home. The rents want £150 a month, plus £40 for car insurance. I wouldn't mind...but I do ALL the housework. Like, cleaning the bathrooms, the washing, cleaning, cooking.
    I only earn between £350 - £400 a month if I'm lucky, and my contract is actually only 8 hours, we're just understaffed at the moment. I'm not even working full time, 20 hours at most.
    Annoys me that they go out and spend £200 on 17 year old sisters designer clothes...

Ugh. Too much, or am I being ungrateful?

ReputationRep:
    That seems a pretty reasonable going rate. If you are earning that little, I would advise you to get hunting for another job as soon as possible. What is your situation? Did you finish university? Are you in a graduate level job or waitressing/shop work? Are you saving up to move out?
    If you are saving up to move out, talk to them about maybe getting your rent waived for maybe 1/2 months so you can save up money to find alternative accommodation. However, if you see yourself staying there for the foreseeable future then it does seem fair. If you are only earning £75-100 a week you should definitely be looking for a new job, unless you see your hours picking up very soon.

ReputationRep:
    I left uni because it wasn't for me. My problem is that there is very little, if no, well paid, full time jobs in the town where I live. Lots of shops and cafes, but no big businesses. I've just moved back home from my flat because it was costing too much and I couldn't transfer to the local store. :/

ReputationRep:
    I think the general rule is 1/3 of your income on board, spend 1/3 and save 1/3.

ReputationRep:
    But what is your future plan? Do you intend to stay for a long time at home or are you looking to move out as soon as possible?

Look at it another way, if you were to move out, you'd have to do ALL the housework, pay ALL the bills and then pay ALL the rent on top of that.

Maybe they're getting you to do the housework as a motivation to keep looking for a full time job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-am-not-a-robot)
    I left uni because it wasn't for me. My problem is that there is very little, if no, well paid, full time jobs in the town where I live. Lots of shops and cafes, but no big businesses. I've just moved back home from my flat because it was costing too much and I couldn't transfer to the local store. :/
    It seems a high percentage of your earnings but it is not their fault your income is low. Living away from home you know how much it costs to run a home. The insurance seems fair and gives you the run of a car. My mum just insured our car for me and my sister and that was £1100.

Didn't your parents pay for your clothes when you were 17? Your sister would probably be charged the same rate if she wasn't in full time education.

If you think you are doing too much housework talk to your parents or reduce what you do and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    making you do all the housework is taking it a bit far.

i'd personally advise you to get a full time job and find some friends to rent a place with. move to a city if you need to. even if my parents offered to let me live at home rent free, i'd do all that i could to get out of there, living by yourself is soo much better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be moving back home after leaving my partner and my Mum wants to charge me £80 a week so £320 a month which I guess is reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got the tshirt)

Didn't your parents pay for your clothes when you were 17? Your sister would probably be charged the same rate if she wasn't in full time education.
    Hahahah! Lol..no! I was one of those responsible kids who got a job at 13 and paid for everything from then onwards

I guess I can cope with it. And at least I have the pride in the fact that I'm earning my own money and paying for my own stuff...not expecting handouts from anyone else ^_^

Plus a supervisor job just came up at work...£2 an hour more than what I'm payed now and a set contract of 30 hours a week...much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-am-not-a-robot)
    Hahahah! Lol..no! I was one of those responsible kids who got a job at 13 and paid for everything from then onwards

I guess I can cope with it. And at least I have the pride in the fact that I'm earning my own money and paying for my own stuff...not expecting handouts from anyone else ^_^

Plus a supervisor job just came up at work...£2 an hour more than what I'm payed now and a set contract of 30 hours a week...much better
    Congrats!!

You definately have the right attitude - my big sister is always getting my mum to buy her things but I feel guilty if I ask her to buy me anything. I'm always broke and my sister always has a very healthy bank balance.

All the best for the future. It sounds like things are coming together!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.