Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've received two conditional offers for Medicine: for Nottingham and Manchester.

I'm shocked I got one to be honest, so now I'm stuck with choosing which to firm and which to have as my second choice.

I realise they are completely different universities, Nottingham being mainly traditional and Manchester being mainly PBL, but I'd like some opinions of students that have actually studied there themselves.

My gut instinct is Nottingham. I went there for Medsim and loved it apart from the accommodation I stayed in and the buildings. My interview there was brilliant, it felt really natural and I got on really well with the staff. The problem I have is that it is mainly lecture based. I want to know just how traditional this course is because I'm worried I'll find it hard to concentrate without the chance to think for ourselves whilst learning. Though I'm sure this isn't the case...

As for Manchester, my interview there was also pleasant but I haven't yet had the chance to look around the university properly. The city looks massive! I know it is heavily PBL based - again, I don't know if this would suit me having never tried it before. But I like to think for myself. I also have to consider travel. Manchester costs over £100 for a return ticket whereas Nottingham only £16!

I realise though, money is not as important as the course itself. I re-read the prospectuses many times and am not being significantly swayed either way. I know this is MY decision, but I'd just like to know how YOU find your universities and whether the courses are as you expected them.

Thanks for your time.

Josh.

ReputationRep:
    Guess it depends on what you prefer. PBL or Traditional.

There has been alot of pro's and con's discussion about Manchester. Have a search through this thread and have a read.

I think it would be wise for you to go and visit Man one more time before you make your decision. The cost of travel shouldnt worry you that much, because essentially you'll be so busy that returning home isnt going to be a luxury you can aford every week anyways.

Congrats on gettin two, I'm sure, well deserved offer

ReputationRep:
    If you can't deal with sitting on your arse in a big room, don't come here. We have regular clinical skills workshops, lab sessions, weekly dissection and one PBL task a year, but the bulk of our learning for everything apart from anatomy is lectures. I don't really have a problem with that- most of our lecturers are fairly good, and the material is stimulating enough. If you sit through an immunology lecture and come out having not done any thinking, then you will have to go back over it all anyway.

Of course the beauty of a lecture heavy course is that you dont really have to go to everything. Don't get me wrong- you have got to work- but if the lecture notes are comprehensive, the lectures themselves podcasted and you have a decent textbook, there is nothing to stop you from self teaching aspects of the modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmiff12)
    Hi everyone,

I've received two conditional offers for Medicine: for Nottingham and Manchester.

I'm shocked I got one to be honest, so now I'm stuck with choosing which to firm and which to have as my second choice.

I realise they are completely different universities, Nottingham being mainly traditional and Manchester being mainly PBL, but I'd like some opinions of students that have actually studied there themselves.

My gut instinct is Nottingham. I went there for Medsim and loved it apart from the accommodation I stayed in and the buildings. My interview there was brilliant, it felt really natural and I got on really well with the staff. The problem I have is that it is mainly lecture based. I want to know just how traditional this course is because I'm worried I'll find it hard to concentrate without the chance to think for ourselves whilst learning. Though I'm sure this isn't the case...

As for Manchester, my interview there was also pleasant but I haven't yet had the chance to look around the university properly. The city looks massive! I know it is heavily PBL based - again, I don't know if this would suit me having never tried it before. But I like to think for myself. I also have to consider travel. Manchester costs over £100 for a return ticket whereas Nottingham only £16!

I realise though, money is not as important as the course itself. I re-read the prospectuses many times and am not being significantly swayed either way. I know this is MY decision, but I'd just like to know how YOU find your universities and whether the courses are as you expected them.

Thanks for your time.

Josh.
    im in exactly the same position as you, im not sure if traditional would be the best, but im kinda scared of pbl if that makes sense. Nottingham seemed like such a nice place, and the staff appeared much nicer. Also, nottingham has better student statisfaction than manc, and ive heard a few people unsatisfied while there. Check this out aswell http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...256178,00.html

Get yourself on one of the offer days. Im not making a decision until after it. It has an overview of the course, tour of the facilities (like you had before your notts interview) and a taster pbl session.

Hope i was some help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    We have regular clinical skills workshops, lab sessions, weekly dissection and one PBL task a year, but the bulk of our learning for everything apart from anatomy is lectures.
    This is what I was after. What do you mean by regular? And do you feel like you have enough clinical experience?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your help so far btw.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that Manchester is hugely addressing the issue of student satisfaction and also there course is changing. You should go to the post offer open day manc holds .... Ive heard that's it's an amazing day and very friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is also a great city, it's almost made for students. I'd definitely pick Nottingham. I'd apply to Nottingham, but I live here, so nope.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is an extremely friendly place. The Student's Union is excellent and so are MedSoc; there are many pub crawls throughout the year, if that's what you fancy! There is one massive student area in Manchester (Fallowfield) which is just down from the Uni on Oxford Road. the busiest bus route in Europe.

If busy's what you like, then come to Manchester. Also there is a Domino's nearby the Uni, and another in Fallowfield, and they always have on offer 2-for-1 from vouchers given out from time to time on the street. Also the MedSoc Card (£35 for all 5 years) gets 50% off at Domino's and a lot more offers elsewhere; definitely worth it.

About the course:

There are around 4-6 lectures a week, two PBL sessions and an anatomy lesson (plus a physiology practical in Semester 2). PBL has its advantages as you automatically make 11 best friends on your course; plus there's a "mummies and daddies" scheme where your pbl group gets paired with two pairs of "mummies and daddies" in second year, who make sure you settle in fine and everything's ok.

PBL is one of those things where you take out what you put into it. If you work hard you'll get a lot from it, however it also depends on how good your PBL tutor facilitates each discussion.

The lectures are generally pretty good. Slides are usually uploaded online; sometimes they're online before the lecture itself - always useful to go through it beforehand.

Early Experience is amazing; I've had 4 Hospital Visits and 3 GP Visits this year - extremely helpful!

Also you get A LOT of free time. For example, this Semester (2), I had Tuesday's almost always off, Wednesday was reserved for Early Experience (in the morning), Finished on Monday and Tuesday at 3 and finished at 1 on a Friday. I loved it.

Also PBL sessions were from Monday to Thursday, i.e. Monday you were given the case, and work was to be discussed with the group on Thursday. I took weekends off

If you want anymore information about Manchester just ask

ReputationRep:
    OP like someone else said, I would suggest coming down to the post offer open day and seeing for yourself. There's a PBL taster session included in that day.

(Original post by chernij)
    Also you get A LOT of free time. For example, this Semester (2), I had Tuesday's almost always off, Wednesday was reserved for Early Experience (in the morning), Finished on Monday and Tuesday at 3 and finished at 1 on a Friday. I loved it.

Also PBL sessions were from Monday to Thursday, i.e. Monday you were given the case, and work was to be discussed with the group on Thursday. I took weekends off

If you want anymore information about Manchester just ask
    Some people have said to me the 1st year at Manchester is less work than Year 13, but they also say that the workload increases dramatically as you go on.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I was after. What do you mean by regular? And do you feel like you have enough clinical experience?
    I have heard a lot of negative things about Manchester - and this isn't simplistic med school patriotism from me - at least make yourself aware of them (there's a blog by one of the users on here I believe for one thing). I think you should firm Notts, I would! It's down to you though - and what you are after in a medical school. Notts has a lot of goodies - full body dissection, the BmedSci, a nice campus. Also I think at Manchester you can end up in Preston for a number of years, although I may be incorrect.

(Original post by ryan118244)
    Don't forget that Manchester is hugely addressing the issue of student satisfaction and also there course is changing. You should go to the post offer open day manc holds .... Ive heard that's it's an amazing day and very friendly.
    But is it a good thing to be arriving during a time of transition and change? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    You should go to the post offer open day manc holds .... Ive heard that's it's an amazing day and very friendly.
    I would have loved to. But they emailed me a day before the deadline to apply and then said all their places had been filled - I did notice afterwards that they mentioned it on the letter but no sign of when they wanted me to reply. I think I'm going for nottingham. Argh - every time I get close to a decision I change my mind. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I have heard a lot of negative things about Manchester - and this isn't simplistic med school patriotism from me - at least make yourself aware of them (there's a blog by one of the users on here I believe for one thing). I think you should firm Notts, I would! It's down to you though - and what you are after in a medical school. Notts has a lot of goodies - full body dissection, the BmedSci, a nice campus. Also I think at Manchester you can end up in Preston for a number of years, although I may be incorrect.

Manchester unfairly gets judged, their are about 10 other med schools with very low student satisfaction rates (Manchester not being the lowest) so there are other med schools that are producing grads that are clearly unhappy with their course, Nottingham also has one of the low SSR. Manchester have made a lot of changes in 5 yrs especially last yr and I haven't come across a single person who's complained who started last yr, so their changes must be good. But no one will see these changes for another 5 yrs when SSR reflects the new course.

But is it a good thing to be arriving during a time of transition and change? :holmes:
    They have actually been making changes over the last couple of yrs.
    But no I think it's a good thing because they will be more likely to be adaptable and helpful.
    Aberdeen has also recently just changed their course and also Nottingham is making some changes (most notable to their examination method). I think a lot of med schools are and those who are constantly evolving are the ones who are listening to their students.
    So for all we could know, Manchester could produce an absolutely amazing change and could have the highest student satasifaction rate ... who knows.

At the end of the day to the original poster. Don't bother going on what others peoples opinions are, because most will be dated and biased. The blog thing is from a student who started like 7 yrs ago and even he admits changes have been made.
    So OP just go for the course and city, because where ever you go you will have an amazing time and lovr the med school.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I have heard multiple complaints about Manchester - on here (one of the people on this website even left the course they disliked it so much) and word of mouth from folks I know doing the course. I am not plugging Nottingham Medical School - but the OP should be aware that Manchester (at least in the past) has come under a disproportionate amount of criticism.

I see you regularly plugging Manchester - I appreciate you are proud of your soon to be? medical school - but it does have some associated problems (they made me not apply to Manchester).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I have heard multiple complaints about Manchester - on here (one of the people on this website even left the course they disliked it so much) and word of mouth from folks I know doing the course. I am not plugging Nottingham Medical School - but the OP should be aware that Manchester (at least in the past) has come under a disproportionate amount of criticism.

I see you regularly plugging Manchester - I appreciate you are proud of your soon to be? medical school - but it does have some associated problems (they made me not apply to Manchester).
    I agree they have received a lot of criticism, but a lot of it I think is unfair especially as there are many other med schools which also have very low SSR.

I don't know if I will go there, at the mo I probs prefer peninsula. I just think a lot of people are naive and instantly criticise manc without actually finding out the reasons etc

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much everyone for you advice. Although I've taken a lot of it on board, I still firmed Nottingham through my own decision (based on my opinion of the place and what i wanted from a university). But as Ryan said, wherever I go, I'll have a good time.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear you made the right decision for you!!
    I was worried about Manchester with the low SSR as well, but I went to the open day yesterday and I loved it. I was speaking to a few of the medics there and I have to say they really seemed to like they course. So for me that's good enough. I think I will probs firm them now.

It's alright for everyone to say stuff about med schools online and to research it loads, I think people should visit the med school though as that can change your opinion so much and out of all my med schools the 2 best open days for me where PMS and manc. Which I'm really surprised by.

My advice to everyone is to go to open days as I wish I had gone to them before I applied.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much everyone for you advice. Although I've taken a lot of it on board, I still firmed Nottingham through my own decision (based on my opinion of the place and what i wanted from a university). But as Ryan said, wherever I go, I'll have a good time.

Cheers.
    Well done. See you in September.

ReputationRep:
    Just to reassure the OP, as a 1st year at manchester, I haven't really seen much of those so-called criticisms. If you really want to know whether or not PBL is better I would say do some academic research and don't rely on other people's opinions. You probably won't have access to pubmed/medline until uni but google scholar is quite good (and free!) and just type in PBL (make sure you use the advanced option to get the more recent papers, otherwise you get papers from 3-4 decades ago). Then see what the research says!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.