Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the total number of people who want a FO role at an Investment Bank far exceeds the number of these roles that actually exist. So my question is, for the many people who never manage to get their desired Investment Banking FO job, what sort of jobs do they tend to go into as their "second choice"? I would guess things like accountancy, retail banking etc. but does anyone with experience of this sector know where most unsuccessful IBers go?

ReputationRep:
    http://i.current.com/images/asset/906/249/52/DvTvU.jpg

That;s what happens to most people who fail to get into banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)

You're rather scary.

ReputationRep:
    It probably depends on what area they were looking to get into. I'm not sure about other areas, but I reckon that a significant number of unsuccessful asset management hopefuls (and my contingency plan) is to go into investment consultancy or a similar role

ReputationRep:
    Teaching is a nice last resort for those who fail everything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    Teaching is a nice last resort for those who fail everything else
    "Those who cant bank, teach!"

ReputationRep:
    Consulting...

ReputationRep:
    Those who cant, teach.

Kinda off topic but what is with TSR and IB? It is definately not the be all and end all when it comes to a career. I know the bonuses are decent but they are performance based, so if you really were that well versed at investment strategies and stuff surely being a consultant or 'business manager' for the rich/famous is an easy way to take a nice 10% chunk out of their earnings.

I think I would prey on lottery winners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    Those who cant, teach.

Kinda off topic but what is with TSR and IB? It is definately not the be all and end all when it comes to a career. I know the bonuses are decent but they are performance based, so if you really were that well versed at investment strategies and stuff surely being a consultant or 'business manager' for the rich/famous is an easy way to take a nice 10% chunk out of their earnings.

I think I would prey on lottery winners
    And do what, play around with a few million? Thanks but i'd rather go manage a few billion at a fund and take my percentage points on that.

ReputationRep:
    Consultancy is an alternative many flock to.

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely on what you were applying for. Just so you know, Banks aren't the only institutions that are lucrative. If you applied for:

- S&T then retail Asset Management firms, small hedge funds or even Private Equity. Working for Energy companies could also be a good solution as many of the top firms have trading divisions, which you could leverage your experience to getting onto one of those desks.

- IBD then Private Equity, Accountancy, Corporate Finance for a F500 company or even Consultancy may be a good option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    It depends entirely on what you were applying for. Just so you know, Banks aren't the only institutions that are lucrative. If you applied for:

- S&T then retail Asset Management firms, small hedge funds or even Private Equity. Working for Energy companies could also be a good solution as many of the top firms have trading divisions, which you could leverage your experience to getting onto one of those desks.

- IBD then Private Equity, Accountancy, Corporate Finance for a F500 company or even Consultancy may be a good option.
    But most of these aren't any easier to get into either =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eklipz89)
    But most of these aren't any easier to get into either =/
    They're not supposed to be but they are alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    And do what, play around with a few million? Thanks but i'd rather go manage a few billion at a fund and take my percentage points on that.
    Whatever those percentage points are if you are managing several people with about 50 million a year in earnings you will make more than someone in IB if you charge 10%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    Whatever those percentage points are if you are managing several people with about 50 million a year in earnings you will make more than someone in IB if you charge 10%.
    2 and 20 :gthumb:

Bb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)

Disgusting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.