Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have an offer from Hull-York Medical School, and if I accept this over my other offer, I have a 50% chance of being allocated to the Hull campus. I visited the other weekend and the campus and med school itself were great. Pretty with good facilities. However we then went on a tour of Hull...and it seemed so grim! Sort of run down. Even the prospectus says that drug abuse is a severe problem there, and people have said burglarly is high.

Anyone who studies in Hull...is it safe? Do you FEEL safe? This is important to me. It's the only thing putting me off the Medical school.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Blobby runs rampant.

ReputationRep:
    The area around uni is safe, however, east Hull is not so much. It really depends where you will live. Cottingham - village where most of student halls are located - is nice and quiet. You can get a bus to the most popular clubs directly from the Cottingham halls.

ReputationRep:
    Seemed pretty nice when I went there for the day. Students would have no real reason to venture east of the river.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparrow-legs)
    However we then went on a tour of Hull...and it seemed so grim! Sort of run down. Even the prospectus says that drug abuse is a severe problem there, and people have said burglarly is high.

Anyone who studies in Hull...is it safe? Do you FEEL safe? This is important to me. It's the only thing putting me off the Medical school.
    Classic question. Hull isn't at all that bad (in my opinion). Not really any different to other "working class" cities; they all have good areas and bad areas. I think you would definitely feel safe. As long as people use common sense, they're fine. The area around campus and the city centre are full of students anyway.

Burglary could maybe become an issue. However, this usually only happens when someone leaves open a window on the ground floor which is obviously asking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Hull is undergoing a huge regeneration project at the moment and things are starting to pick up. I'm not saying Hull doesn't have its problems- of course it does but so does every other city in the UK. Rates in all offence categories have fallen in Hull since 2002/03 and in each case at a faster rate than nationally.

There is crime everywhere and certainly this shouldn't put you off going there! I'm sure if you went there you would love it. Everyone loves the place they go to uni, no matter of the problems it faces

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input, guys. I know I shouldn't let it put me off, because HYMS is an awesome medical school... I think I've just been a bit spoilt due to living in Bristol for the past 3 years. It's so affluent and beautiful down there. I'm afraid of being brought back to earth with a bit of a bump! Lol. I know the campus is safe and beautiful, but when you're doing a pretty full-on degree it's so nice to escape the campus and head into the city for a nice coffee or something. There just doesn't seem to be much to look at in Hull. No nice places to relax outside campus.

ReputationRep:
    standard question I've heard from a lot of people this year.
    Being a first year student at Hull and living in a Hall of Residence - I feel I can answer this question.
    The answer being YES.
    Obviously Hull isn't a perfect place - no where is and I'm sure Bristol has some rough areas as well.

The majority of first years live in Halls of Residence in Cottingham. A lovely village with plenty of shops and 8 pubs. The population of the village is mainy students and elderly people.
    Next year I'm living on a place called Newland Avenue which is seen as one of the main areas for students with many bars/clubs/cafes etc.

Areas seen as "rough" - there is no need for students to be there as they are well out of the way. Presume similar to your home town - no reason to be in those areas seen as rough??

Hull York Medical School has a great reputation as does the university itself. By no means rule it out for the safe reason as I have found it along with many many others a great place to live with no reason to have fear for safety.

Any other questions - just ask!

ReputationRep:
    I know the campus is safe and beautiful, but when you're doing a pretty full-on degree it's so nice to escape the campus and head into the city for a nice coffee or something. There just doesn't seem to be much to look at in Hull. No nice places to relax outside campus.
    There are lots of good coffee shops on the shopping street near campus, Newland Ave And a few a bit further afield on Princes Ave & in town too. Parts of the Old Town are very pretty but aren't immediately obvious if you stick to what are now the main shopping areas, they're a little walk away but there are some great places tucked away there too.

Going further afield, Cottingham (where the halls are) is very nice (I grew up there), and then there's Beverley a little way away which is beautiful - very accessible for a few hours visit or sometimes a night out (though there are no clubs, just get the last train/bus back) if you're feeling flush.

ReputationRep:
    Hull is fine, just like any other city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smigs)
    Going further afield, Cottingham (where the halls are) is very nice (I grew up there), and then there's Beverley a little way away which is beautiful - very accessible for a few hours visit or sometimes a night out (though there are no clubs, just get the last train/bus back) if you're feeling flush.
    I'm intrigued as to what you find to do in Beverley that lasts more than a few hours :awesome: Even if you go in every shop, go around the market and go in the Minster, that's really only two hours at most. Unless you also go to a pub too. (I may be slightly biased as I'm convinced it's the most boring place on the planet )

Hull is mostly fine. Yes, there are dodgy parts, and there are parts which I'd be worried about walking around at night, and there are areas which have drug and violence problems, and it is home to England's largest council estate. However, unless you actively decide to get a bus into East Hull or to go for a jolly down to North Point or something, you won't come into contact with these parts. The centre is fine and the student stuff is mostly in Cottingham anyway, which is again fine. There does seem, anecdotally, to be a high rate of pickpocketing (I've never had anything stolen, but I've had a lot of friends lose phones or purses while shopping on the weekend) and I've also heard that police response times are worse than average, but it's just an average city provided that you don't go looking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I've been here 18 years and never had any trouble at all. Never been mugged, burgled, threatened etc etc.

The only bad parts really are places where a student would never have/want to go. The city centre, the main avenues, Cottingham & the area around the university are all really nice on the most part.

I'd rather be in Hull then York tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies everyone . I probably am going to firm HYMS. I visited York yesterday and am completely in love with it. But I guess Hull will be ok, however it works out. Cheers guys xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I'm intrigued as to what you find to do in Beverley that lasts more than a few hours :awesome: Even if you go in every shop, go around the market and go in the Minster, that's really only two hours at most. Unless you also go to a pub too. (I may be slightly biased as I'm convinced it's the most boring place on the planet )
    Go to the shops, go to some pubs (yes, more than one!), go on the Westwood, go on the tour round the Minster (though that part is only good for one trip, of course!). Nice restaurants in Beverley, too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies everyone . I probably am going to firm HYMS. I visited York yesterday and am completely in love with it. But I guess Hull will be ok, however it works out. Cheers guys xxx
    Good choice! hyms is epic.

ReputationRep:
    I also have an offer to study at Hull and some of my friends were really dismissive when I told them I'd applied, however, I really liked the uni and it tops almost every league table for 'student statisfaction.' Just don't do anything stupid ((eg walk around alone at night ect)) ad you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're that unsure about it then don't choose it!

Jeez, it's not like you're gonna get gang raped the moment you step out your door.

Look, the only places you're likely to encounter the lowlife plebs is Bransholme, Orchard Park or other dodgy estates (no offence if you actually live there and you AREN'T a scumbag). And there's no reason you'd want to go within the vicinity of those places, unless you're going to do something illegal (stay away from Staples car park too).

Just the same you wouldn't walk around some areas of London on a dark night. Same in Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, York, New York, Los Angeles, Manila, Islamabad... etc.

Hell, I used to get yelled at for walking down a street in Toronto that's like a million times worse than the entire city of Hull, full of tramps and drop outs... nothing happened to me. If nothing happens to you on Yonge Street, it aint gonna happen to you in Hull, let me assure you.

Don't judge a book by its cover... or something like that.
    Gluck in your application, hope you like wherever you end up.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have an offer from Hull-York Medical School, and if I accept this over my other offer, I have a 50% chance of being allocated to the Hull campus. I visited the other weekend and the campus and med school itself were great. Pretty with good facilities. However we then went on a tour of Hull...and it seemed so grim! Sort of run down. Even the prospectus says that drug abuse is a severe problem there, and people have said burglarly is high.

im not at uni, but i'm from Hull and it's a great city. Anyone who comes always comments that they can't understand how it gets its awful reputation. Now nottingham, don't stay there! Burglary isn't high, only in several areas that are best stayed away from (Bransholme, Orhcard park, preston rd.). One comment made by the Hull Kr coach was how Hull feels like a big village, rather than a city because everyone is friendly, unlike other cities. Also, we got the Deep

ReputationRep:
    its a war zone stay away or bring protection....

ReputationRep:
    Hull gets it's awful reputation from having John Prescott as its MP for many years.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.