Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    basdfas
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, they can't see your previous universities. But if you reapply to the same university, they can see that you applied there the year before (and obviously were rejected). As far as I know, anyway. Even if they should see, I don't see how it would cause problems really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    No, they can't see your previous universities. But if you reapply to the same university, they can see that you applied there the year before (and obviously were rejected). As far as I know, anyway. Even if they should see, I don't see how it would cause problems really?
    Thank you
    Let say I reapply to the university I applied last year, can they still go on UCAS to see my application again and work out I have been rejected by other medical schools as well? I have heard that although medical schools cant see where you applied at first but in August they will know all other unis' decisions for you.... It means if they look at my UCAS last year, they will be able to see other decisions for me as well?
    I think it puts them off
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by anthonylee)
    Thank you
    Let say I reapply to the university I applied last year, can they still go on UCAS to see my application again and work out I have been rejected by other medical schools as well? I have heard that although medical schools cant see where you applied at first but in August they will know all other unis' decisions for you.... It means if they look at my UCAS last year, they will be able to see other decisions for me as well?
    I think it puts them off
    It's all private info so I very much doubt they can see that kind of information, even by something as simple as data protection.

It won't put them off at all - majority of people are rejected from medicine so reapplying, if anything, is a positive - not a negative. Don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    I think it puts them off
    obviously they will see that you applied to them last year

and the fact you are applying this year probably means you got 4 rejections (which most get) although you could be applying from your first year at uni, although I doubt it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    obviously they will see that you applied to them last year

and the fact you are applying this year probably means you got 4 rejections (which most get) although you could be applying from your first year at uni, although I doubt it
    Thanks! The thing is if I decline/miss one offer this year, reapplying is also possible as well. I am worried they can see it and judge it.
    Abt reapplying while at uni, can they possibly know you are at uni? I think if they can look at your last year UCAS they will be able to tell?!?? I am just being curious abt that as I have heard ppl doing that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks! The thing is if I decline/miss one offer this year, reapplying is also possible as well. I am worried they can see it and judge it.
    Abt reapplying while at uni, can they possibly know you are at uni? I think if they can look at your last year UCAS they will be able to tell?!?? I am just being curious abt that as I have heard ppl doing that.
    If you miss an offer it's likely that you're going to only get AAB/ABB at A-Level, in which case you're unlikely to be able to reapply.

You have to put all relevant educational information onto the UCAS form, so they will see that you are in the first year of university somewhere. They cannot look at your previous application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    It's all private info so I very much doubt they can see that kind of information, even by something as simple as data protection.

It won't put them off at all - majority of people are rejected from medicine so reapplying, if anything, is a positive - not a negative. Don't worry.
    thanks! I have also heard that you can log on track by you old UCAS ID to get your last year UCAS form although you need to make a new one to send off, I doubt it if uni cant do the same thing
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    thanks! I have also heard that you can log on track by you old UCAS ID to get your last year UCAS form although you need to make a new one to send off, I doubt it if uni cant do the same thing

(Original post by Beska)
    They cannot look at your previous application.
    There is a big difference between you logging into your application and a university logging into it.

Even if they can see the other universities you've applied to - it doesn't really matter. As I said.

e: Just to clarify, within a single cycle after you have made your decisions, other universities you've applied to in that cycle can see your other choices. My point is that future universities cannot see your past applications, and even if they could it wouldn't mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    There is a big difference between you logging into your application and a university logging into it.

Even if they can see the other universities you've applied to - it doesn't really matter. As I said.

e: Just to clarify, within a single cycle after you have made your decisions, other universities you've applied to in that cycle can see your other choices. My point is that future universities cannot see your past applications, and even if they could it wouldn't mean anything.
    I see it know! Thanks for making it clear for me! It has been bugging me so much :P

ReputationRep:
    unless you email a uni your previous UCAS details and then tell them to look at it (which they won't anyway as they have better thinks to do) they won't see it

however, as beska said,....at the end of every cycle, the unis applied to THAT cycle will see the others (apparantly its a marketing/competition type thing)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I see it know! Thanks for making it clear for me! It has been bugging me so much :P
    Honestly don't worry about it - unless you have something to hide obviously!

UCAS know that you've applied before (because they match up your name, date of birth, etc.) and you are asked the question "have you applied through UCAS before?" when you first sign up. They don't pass this information on to the universities though - infact, at my Nottingham interview this year (I'm a reapplicant) they gave me my full, whole UCAS application and the lady said "this is all we receive about you" and then joked about your entire life being put onto a single A3 sheet. On that sheet there was no big "THIS GUY HAS APPLIED BEFORE" markers or anything. I am pretty sure universities could call up UCAS and ask if you had applied before - but they really don't care that much.

ReputationRep:
    Universities have no access to your previous applications, the UCAS system is designed in order to prevent such access.

The only way by which universities would be able to keep information on previous applicants is if they formed their own database, built upon informaton they had access to when you initially applied.

The sheer work involved building and maintaining such a database would be enormous, ignoring the fact that constructing such a database without requesting your permission (you agree to UCAS holding your information and allowing universities access to it, not for universities to hold it themselves) could be legally 'iffy'.

As others have said though, applying again is not a negative, especially not if you have acted on the points which a university rejected your application (if any other than "number of places"). Universities often want to see a desire to achieve and reapplying shows determination. Indeed in my experience one of the questions that often comes up in interviews is "what will you do if you don't get offered a place this year?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Honestly don't worry about it - unless you have something to hide obviously!

UCAS know that you've applied before (because they match up your name, date of birth, etc.) and you are asked the question "have you applied through UCAS before?" when you first sign up. They don't pass this information on to the universities though - infact, at my Nottingham interview this year (I'm a reapplicant) they gave me my full, whole UCAS application and the lady said "this is all we receive about you" and then joked about your entire life being put onto a single A3 sheet. On that sheet there was no big "THIS GUY HAS APPLIED BEFORE" markers or anything. I am pretty sure universities could call up UCAS and ask if you had applied before - but they really don't care that much.
    Thank you I am just worried that reapplicants's UCAS will be not be considered equally as first time applicants I hope your Nottingham's interview went well
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you I am just worried that reapplicants's UCAS will be not be considered equally as first time applicants I hope your Nottingham's interview went well
    They are considered equally, and if anything you have more 'proof' that you're dedicated/determined/etc. to bring up in interviews/personal statement.

The interview went, in hindsight, terribly (even though I came out thinking it was so-so) and made me really resent my interviewers. But hey ho, you win some you lose some!

ReputationRep:
    what if you apply to different unis? they have no idea what you applied to and where previously? or that you even applied?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by bertstare)
    what if you apply to different unis? they have no idea what you applied to and where previously? or that you even applied?
    They won't know where you've applied to previously, but it would be easy for them to deduce that you have applied previously as the majority of people applying to medicine, with achieved A2 grades in the same year of application, would have had 4 rejections.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.