Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm doing a past exam question (Q12 here) and it's mostly fine, but I'm not too happy with how I answered part (c).

Essentially I need to determine whether \mathcal{T} = \{ U \subseteq \mathbb{Z}\, :\, \exists k > 0\ \text{s.t. } \forall n,\ n \in U \Leftrightarrow n+k \in U \} defines a topology on \mathbb{Z}. At first I thought it did, but after a bit of working I'm now pretty sure it isn't.

EDIT: See post #4 for updated working

To simplify things a bit, I've said that if U \in \mathcal{T} is such that n \in U \Leftrightarrow n + k \in U then there exists some collection 0 \le a_1 < a_2 < \cdots < a_r < k such that n \in U \Leftrightarrow n \equiv a_i \pmod k for some a_i, and hence we can write U = U^{(1)} \cup \cdots \cup U^{(r)} where U^{(i)} = \{ n\, :\, n \equiv a_i \pmod k \}. Therefore, sets of the form \{ n\, :\, n \equiv a \pmod k \} for k \in \mathbb{N} and 0 \le a < k are a basis for \mathcal{T} (if it's a topology).

What I've done is, for r \in \mathbb{N} let 0 \le a_r < r and U_r = \{ a_r + mr\, :\, m \in \mathbb{Z} \}; then the U_r are clearly basis sets. If (r,s)=1 then x \in U_r \cup U_s \Leftrightarrow x + rs \in U_r \cup U_s, since because r,s are coprime, their lowest common multiple is rs; and there does not exist a number smaller than rs. [I haven't really justified this; my number theory's not really up to scratch... any ideas?]

Now let V_s = U_2 \cup U_3 \cup U_5 \cup \cdots \cup U_{p_s} where p_s is the sth prime. Then p_s is coprime to 2 \times 3 \times \cdots \times p_{s-1}, and so x \in V_s \iff x + 2 \times 3 \times \cdots \times p_s \in V_s. Letting V_{\infty} = \displaystyle \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} U_{p_i}, we can't choose k such that x \in V_{\infty} \iff x+k \in V_{\infty}, so V_{\infty} \not \in \mathcal{T}. As the arbitrary union of basis sets doesn't lie in the collection, it can't be a topology.

I'm pretty sure this is right, but I feel that my reasoning is a bit clumsy, or at the very least that I've needed to define far too many things than I should have to come up with a badly behaved set. Any ideas about how I can clean this up would be greatly appreciated! [One of my tasks for this holiday is improving my rigour and reasoning.]

EDIT: Thinking about it, I didn't even need to justify that U^{(i)} form a basis did I? They're open sets and that's enough Damn. But any further advice would still be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not clear on your definition of U_r; are you saying the a_r are fixed, or can vary?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I'm not clear on your definition of U_r; are you saying the a_r are fixed, or can vary?
    I'm saying they're fixed but arbitrary.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I've refined it a bit. Now my working goes more like this:

Suppose U \in \mathcal{T} is such that n \in U \iff n + r \in U (r minimal) and suppose (s,r)=1. Let U_s = \{ ms\, :\, m \in \mathbb{Z} \}; and then n \in U_s \iff n + s \in U_s, so U_s \in \mathcal{T}, and s is also minimal.

Then n \in U \cup U_s \iff n + rs \in U \cup U_s, since (r,s)=1 and so \text{lcm}(r,s) = rs, and rs is minimal (*) (i.e. if there exists k>0 s.t. n \in U \cup U_s \iff n + k \in U \cup U_s then rs \le k).

So we can proceed inductively, and deduce that if p_i denotes the ith prime and U_{p_i} = \{ mp_i\, :\, m \in \mathbb{Z} \} and U^{(r)} = \displaystyle \bigcup_{i=1}^r U_{p_i} , then x \in U^{(r)} \iff x + p_1p_2\dots p_r \in U^{(r)}, and because (p_1 \dots p_{r-1}, p_r) = 1, we must have that p_1 \dots p_r is minimal here too. Let k_r = p_1 \dots p_r and note that k_r \to \infty as r \to \infty. Hence U= \displaystyle \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} U_{p_i} does not satisfy the condition, so U \not \in \mathcal{T}, but since U_{p_i} \in \mathcal{T} for all i \in \mathbb{N}, \mathcal{T} is not closed under arbitrary unions (so does not define a topology).

I'm happier with this, but I still don't like not having justified that rs is minimal (*), so help there would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    The thing that's bothering me here is the passage from the finite to the infinite case. It's not obvious to me that just because k_r \to \infty, it's not possible that there's some k_\infty that works for the union U. Consider the case where P_n is the set of all multiples of the nth prime. The set P_1 \cup P_2 ... \cup P_n is a lot more complicated than the infiinte union (which is just Z).
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    The thing that's bothering me here is the passage from the finite to the infinite case. It's not obvious to me that just because k_r \to \infty, it's not possible that there's some k_\infty that works for the union U. Consider the case where P_n is the set of all multiples of the nth prime. The set P_1 \cup P_2 ... \cup P_n is a lot more complicated than the infiinte union (which is just Z).
    I think by my (updated) definition, the U_{p_i} in my last post are the same as your P_i, so this poses a problem. But wouldn't the infinite union miss 1 and -1? Then if there were to exist k>0 such that x \in \mathbb{Z} \backslash \{\pm 1 \} \iff x+k \in \mathbb{Z} \backslash \{\pm 1 \}, then since -1-k \in \mathbb{Z} \backslash \{\pm 1 \} we'd have -1-k+k=-1 \in \mathbb{Z} \backslash \{\pm 1 \} (contradiction).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Good point. So I think this is actually the simplest approach:

Take U_p = pZ; then each U_p is in the topology. But the union U of all U_p = Z \ {-1, 1}. Then U isn't a member of T, since if it were, we could find k > 0 s.t. ... (as in your post above).
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Good point. So I think this is actually the simplest approach:

Take U_p = pZ; then each U_p is in the topology. But the union U of all U_p = Z \ {-1, 1}. Then U isn't a member of T, since if it were, we could find k > 0 s.t. ... (as in your post above).
    Describing it this way definitely seems like a better idea than letting r \to \infty and so on. Thanks for your help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.